A friend in need is a pest indeed.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: "Dune"

SubjectAuthor
* "Dune"Irish Mike
`* Re: "Dune"Eddie Grove
 +* Re: "Dune"Your Name
 |+* Re: "Dune"Eddie Grove
 ||`- Re: "Dune"Your Name
 |`- Re: "Dune"Otto J. Makela
 `- Re: "Dune"trotsky

1
"Dune"

<2cede3d4-7927-4bc4-a110-feaaf0254e41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6204&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6204

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:32:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: "Dune"
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 06:32 UTC

Just watched the new version and didn't care
for it at all. However, to be fair, I just wasn't in
the mood to sit through it. I read the "Dune" books
and watched the old movie version and enjoyed it.
But that was a very long long time ago.

Hopefully some one here will post a more objective review.

Irish Mike

Re: "Dune"

<87ilsieq5h.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6214&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6214

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: "Dune"
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 14:56:26 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 22:56 UTC

Irish Mike <irishranger317@gmail.com> writes:

> Just watched the new version and didn't care
> for it at all. However, to be fair, I just wasn't in
> the mood to sit through it. I read the "Dune" books
> and watched the old movie version and enjoyed it.
> But that was a very long long time ago.
>
> Hopefully some one here will post a more objective review.
>
> Irish Mike

The biggest downside: it was part 1 of 2 and that wasn't mentioned in
the advertising. The main character barely interacted with the plot of
what will make him truly special for part 2 and any further sequels.

They did a great job of setting a mood for the movie. It was pretty
true to the book. They only cut one thing I thought was important, but I
suppose you have to cut something. There were enormous plot holes, but
those were in the book too, and you are just supposed to gloss over
them. I would have thought any fan of the books would enjoy the movie,
so your review surprised me.

It was far superior to the 1984 movie, which was a bad joke.

If you haven't read the book, I would suggest waiting until part 2 is
released before seeing part 1. Nothing is resolved in part 1.
I'm surprised it did as well as it did.

Eddie

Re: "Dune"

<t0jk34$qqn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6215&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6215

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:15:00 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 02:15 UTC

On 2022-03-12 22:56:26 +0000, Eddie Grove said:
> Irish Mike <irishranger317@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Just watched the new version and didn't care
>> for it at all. However, to be fair, I just wasn't in
>> the mood to sit through it. I read the "Dune" books
>> and watched the old movie version and enjoyed it.
>> But that was a very long long time ago.
>>
>> Hopefully some one here will post a more objective review.
>>
>> Irish Mike
>
> The biggest downside: it was part 1 of 2 and that wasn't mentioned in
> the advertising.

Probably in case it was such a massive flop that they were not able to
make "part 2". If they do it's possibly they'll retro-fit the first
movie with a "part 1" subtitle, like Geroge Lucas did with the original
"Star Wars".

We're still waiting for the next "Narnia" movie and the second "Tintin"
movie, among others. Mind you, the second "Avatar" movie is due soon,
13 years after the original, so maybe there's still hope for some of
these other missing sequels yet*. ;-)

* No I don't expect another Narnia movie in that particular set to ever
be made - the original actors are far too old now for a start.

> The main character barely interacted with the plot of
> what will make him truly special for part 2 and any further sequels.
>
> They did a great job of setting a mood for the movie. It was pretty
> true to the book. They only cut one thing I thought was important, but I
> suppose you have to cut something. There were enormous plot holes, but
> those were in the book too, and you are just supposed to gloss over
> them. I would have thought any fan of the books would enjoy the movie,
> so your review surprised me.
>
> It was far superior to the 1984 movie, which was a bad joke.
>
> If you haven't read the book, I would suggest waiting until part 2 is
> released before seeing part 1. Nothing is resolved in part 1.
> I'm surprised it did as well as it did.
>
> Eddie

Re: "Dune"

<87v8winwjn.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6216&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6216

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 23:25:48 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 07:25 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> writes:

> On 2022-03-12 22:56:26 +0000, Eddie Grove said:
>> Irish Mike <irishranger317@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Just watched the new version and didn't care
>>> for it at all. However, to be fair, I just wasn't in
>>> the mood to sit through it. I read the "Dune" books
>>> and watched the old movie version and enjoyed it.
>>> But that was a very long long time ago.
>>>
>>> Hopefully some one here will post a more objective review.
>>>
>>> Irish Mike
>>
>> The biggest downside: it was part 1 of 2 and that wasn't mentioned in
>> the advertising.
>
> Probably in case it was such a massive flop that they were not able to
> make "part 2". If they do it's possibly they'll retro-fit the first
> movie with a "part 1" subtitle, like Geroge Lucas did with the
> original "Star Wars".

There already was a "part 1" when I watched it on HBO Max. I assume it
was in the theatrical release as well, at least I think I read something
to that effect. It was in a small font and so you might have missed it.

Re: "Dune"

<t0krq2$132k$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6218&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6218

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 08:32:49 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 13:32 UTC

On 3/12/2022 4:56 PM, Eddie Grove wrote:
> Irish Mike <irishranger317@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Just watched the new version and didn't care
>> for it at all. However, to be fair, I just wasn't in
>> the mood to sit through it. I read the "Dune" books
>> and watched the old movie version and enjoyed it.
>> But that was a very long long time ago.
>>
>> Hopefully some one here will post a more objective review.
>>
>> Irish Mike
>
> The biggest downside: it was part 1 of 2 and that wasn't mentioned in
> the advertising.

At the time it was released Part 2 hadn't been greenlit.

Re: "Dune"

<t0loni$cr9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6220&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6220

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:46:26 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 21:46 UTC

On 2022-03-13 07:25:48 +0000, Eddie Grove said:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> writes:

>>> The biggest downside: it was part 1 of 2 and that wasn't mentioned in
>>> the advertising.
>>
>> Probably in case it was such a massive flop that they were not able to
>> make "part 2". If they do it's possibly they'll retro-fit the first
>> movie with a "part 1" subtitle, like Geroge Lucas did with the
>> original "Star Wars".
>
> There already was a "part 1" when I watched it on HBO Max. I assume it
> was in the theatrical release as well, at least I think I read something
> to that effect. It was in a small font and so you might have missed it.

Never seen it (never want to see it), You're almost certainly right,
the Wikipedia pages does say ...

Dune (titled onscreen as Dune: Part One) is a 2021 American
epic science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve and
written by Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, and Eric Roth.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2021_film)>

It does appear on-screen in the 10min preview (first 10mins??) just
after the 3min mark:
<https://youtu.be/dFa0jyEOcVw?t=183>

BUT, as Eddie Grove indicated above most of the *advertising* (posters,
etc.) don't have that subtitle.

Re: "Dune"

<87r16roeua.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6233&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6233

From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:54:37 +0200
 by: Otto J. Makela - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:54 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> We're still waiting for the next "Narnia" movie

The next book in line would be The Silver Chair, and I believe the
producers kinda agreed that the rather ham-fisted Christian parable
(which of course all of the books are) and not very cinematic
settings make it pretty much unfilmable.

--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */