24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

arts / alt.history.what-if / After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

SubjectAuthor
* After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government'WolfBear
+* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the RussianWolfBear
|`- Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional GovernmSolomonW
`* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the RussianRich Rostrom
 +- Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the RussianWolfBear
 `* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional GovernmThe Horny Goat
  `* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the RussianWolfBear
   `* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the RussianChrysi Cat
    +- Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the RussianWolfBear
    `* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional GovernmSolomonW
     `* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional GovernmThe Horny Goat
      `* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the RussianWolfBear
       `* Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional GovernmSolomonW
        `- Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional GovernmWolfBear

1
After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<0251cdca-0a24-4c68-bae0-a50d49fd56e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6251&group=alt.history.what-if#6251

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:17:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 22:17 UTC

What if, after entering World War I, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push? A full peace with "no annexations and indemnities" is unlikely to work, but maybe the US could propose to hold plebiscites in any disputed areas as well as to otherwise push for a restoration of the status quo ante bellum?

For what it's worth, I am specifically thinking of the US refusing to commit its own grounds troops to Western Europe in this scenario (in spite of the US previously already entering World War I) unless the European Great Powers actually agree to make peace on its own terms. The crucial question is, of course: Could such a peace push actually work? Without US troops on the Western Front, the Entente is unlikely to actually be capable of winning a decisive victory in World War I, so would this make them more willing to negotiate? What about the Central Powers themselves, especially Germany? I suspect that Kaiser Karl of Austria-Hungary WOULD be willing to negotiate, but any attempt on his part to deviate from the German line might result in a forcible German attempt at regime change in Austria-Hungary. And of course I wonder if the Russian soldiers, peasants, and workers would actually be discouraged from supporting the Bolsheviks had the US along with the Russian Provisional Government actually actively engaged in such a peace push.

Anyway, what do all of you think about this?

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<1cc6be05-dcef-4cc3-9f77-4b0d5caa37e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6252&group=alt.history.what-if#6252

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:19:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian
Provisional Government's peace push
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 22:19 UTC

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 3:17:20 PM UTC-7, WolfBear wrote:
> What if, after entering World War I, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push? A full peace with "no annexations and indemnities" is unlikely to work, but maybe the US could propose to hold plebiscites in any disputed areas as well as to otherwise push for a restoration of the status quo ante bellum?
>
> For what it's worth, I am specifically thinking of the US refusing to commit its own grounds troops to Western Europe in this scenario (in spite of the US previously already entering World War I) unless the European Great Powers actually agree to make peace on its own terms. The crucial question is, of course: Could such a peace push actually work? Without US troops on the Western Front, the Entente is unlikely to actually be capable of winning a decisive victory in World War I, so would this make them more willing to negotiate? What about the Central Powers themselves, especially Germany? I suspect that Kaiser Karl of Austria-Hungary WOULD be willing to negotiate, but any attempt on his part to deviate from the German line might result in a forcible German attempt at regime change in Austria-Hungary. And of course I wonder if the Russian soldiers, peasants, and workers would actually be discouraged from supporting the Bolsheviks had the US along with the Russian Provisional Government actually actively engaged in such a peace push.
>
> Anyway, what do all of you think about this?

Of course, I suspect that in such a scenario Republican US politicians such as Teddy Roosevelt and Henry Cabot Lodge are likely to call Woodrow Wilson a weak-willed appeaser and whatnot, but he can simply ignore them, no?

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<s9hcfa$v2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6254&group=alt.history.what-if#6254

From: rrost...@comcast.net (Rich Rostrom)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Provisional Government's peace push
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 21:38:32 -0500
 by: Rich Rostrom - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 02:38 UTC

On 6/5/21 5:17 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> What if, after entering World War I, the US actively endorses the
> Russian Provisional Government's peace push? A full peace with "no
> annexations and indemnities" is unlikely to work, but maybe the US
> could propose to hold plebiscites in any disputed areas as well as to
> otherwise push for a restoration of the status quo ante bellum?
The US has entered the war to defeat Germany, which has grievously
offended the US. Russia had the excuse of being exhausted and badly
hurt. The US has no claim to dictate policy to the other Allied
powers; in particular to make them spare Germany what most Americans
had come to think Germany deserved.

--
Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
--- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<11ke5mpb5w9l1.1gvn5uqk1r469$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6257&group=alt.history.what-if#6257

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 15:59:38 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 05:59 UTC

>> Anyway, what do all of you think about this?
>
> Of course, I suspect that in such a scenario Republican US politicians such as
> Teddy Roosevelt and Henry Cabot Lodge are likely to call Woodrow Wilson a weak-willed appeaser and whatnot, but he can simply ignore them, no?

Although Germany should accept these terms, Germany was winning then, so I
doubt they would accept these terms.

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<29228138-e7e9-4ce7-8360-80a6c4f6bd7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6259&group=alt.history.what-if#6259

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 23:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
Provisional Government's peace push
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 06:17 UTC

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 7:38:35 PM UTC-7, Rich Rostrom wrote:
> On 6/5/21 5:17 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> > What if, after entering World War I, the US actively endorses the
> > Russian Provisional Government's peace push? A full peace with "no
> > annexations and indemnities" is unlikely to work, but maybe the US
> > could propose to hold plebiscites in any disputed areas as well as to
> > otherwise push for a restoration of the status quo ante bellum?

> The US has entered the war to defeat Germany, which has grievously
> offended the US. Russia had the excuse of being exhausted and badly
> hurt. The US has no claim to dictate policy to the other Allied
> powers; in particular to make them spare Germany what most Americans
> had come to think Germany deserved.

Were Americans actually willing to have hundreds of thousands of their young men die in the trenches on the Western Front if another alternative to this was actually available, though?

And I suppose that this raises the question: What should the Entente have encouraged Russia to do? Aggressively crack down on military discipline while also telling Russia to adopt an exclusively defensive posture for fear of triggering another revolution on the home front if Russian boys and young men will continue to be sent to their deaths?

> --
> Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
> --- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<cqupbg199jekejahgakuq5jl6a4akl59ji@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6263&group=alt.history.what-if#6263

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 09:44:54 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 16:44 UTC

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 21:38:32 -0500, Rich Rostrom <rrostrom@comcast.net>
wrote:

>The US has entered the war to defeat Germany, which has grievously
>offended the US. Russia had the excuse of being exhausted and badly
>hurt. The US has no claim to dictate policy to the other Allied
>powers; in particular to make them spare Germany what most Americans
>had come to think Germany deserved.

"grievously offended" = 'has sunk numerous US ships with US loss of
life'

Somewhat like how the US was grievously offended on Sept 11, 2001

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<01d33b6c-4da8-46ef-a0a7-f3b8b1b49332n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6264&group=alt.history.what-if#6264

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:35:26 -0700 (PDT)
Provisional Government's peace push
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 19:35 UTC

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-7, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 21:38:32 -0500, Rich Rostrom <rros...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >The US has entered the war to defeat Germany, which has grievously
> >offended the US. Russia had the excuse of being exhausted and badly
> >hurt. The US has no claim to dictate policy to the other Allied
> >powers; in particular to make them spare Germany what most Americans
> >had come to think Germany deserved.
> "grievously offended" = 'has sunk numerous US ships with US loss of
> life'
>
> Somewhat like how the US was grievously offended on Sept 11, 2001

Couldn't the US have tried putting its ships out of harm's way beforehand, though?

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<W1cvI.568999$ST2.7291@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6266&group=alt.history.what-if#6266

Provisional Government's peace push
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
From: chrysi...@gmail.com (Chrysi Cat)
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 16:32:21 -0600
 by: Chrysi Cat - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:32 UTC

On 6/6/2021 1:35 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-7, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 21:38:32 -0500, Rich Rostrom <rros...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>> The US has entered the war to defeat Germany, which has grievously
>>> offended the US. Russia had the excuse of being exhausted and badly
>>> hurt. The US has no claim to dictate policy to the other Allied
>>> powers; in particular to make them spare Germany what most Americans
>>> had come to think Germany deserved.
>> "grievously offended" = 'has sunk numerous US ships with US loss of
>> life'
>>
>> Somewhat like how the US was grievously offended on Sept 11, 2001
>
> Couldn't the US have tried putting its ships out of harm's way beforehand, though?

How, aside from "not putting to sea", which wasn't an option for the
Factory of the World, do you suggest they manage THAT?

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger. [she/her. Misgender and die].

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<753d0182-c33a-479d-87e9-49de8c9e4105n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6275&group=alt.history.what-if#6275

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:14:51 -0700 (PDT)
Provisional Government's peace push
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 05:14 UTC

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 3:32:24 PM UTC-7, Chrysi Cat wrote:
> On 6/6/2021 1:35 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-7, The Horny Goat wrote:
> >> "grievously offended" = 'has sunk numerous US ships with US loss of
> >> life'
> >>
> >> Somewhat like how the US was grievously offended on Sept 11, 2001
> >
> > Couldn't the US have tried putting its ships out of harm's way beforehand, though?
> >
> How, aside from "not putting to sea", which wasn't an option for the
> Factory of the World, do you suggest they manage THAT?

Not putting them in the Atlantic Ocean?

> --
> Chrysi Cat
> 1/2 anthrocat, nearly 1/2 anthrofox, all magical
> Transgoddess, quick to anger. [she/her. Misgender and die].
> Call me Chrysi or call me Kat, I'll respond to either!

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<hk11ippvzt1y$.2nf2nrn49jwa.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6278&group=alt.history.what-if#6278

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:15:55 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:15 UTC

> Factory of the World,

That is the point. The US was starting its military build-up. France and
the UK, and as it turned out, Germany were all on their last legs.

The other issue is that the Germans preferred to deal with the US than
France or the UK, thinking that a liberal like Wilson would give them
better terms.

Both these points gave the US a major influence in the peacemaking process
when it began in ww1.

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<qiltbg90njoatmdmj7u1ffrm1pki28mcvl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6301&group=alt.history.what-if#6301

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 19:35:25 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 02:35 UTC

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:15:55 +1000, SolomonW <SolomonW@citi.com> wrote:

>> Factory of the World,
>
>That is the point. The US was starting its military build-up. France and
>the UK, and as it turned out, Germany were all on their last legs.
>
>The other issue is that the Germans preferred to deal with the US than
>France or the UK, thinking that a liberal like Wilson would give them
>better terms.

Well yes - the Germans were silly enough to believe that despite
strong UK and French pressure to the contrary America would actually
push through a peace based on the Fourteen Points.

Possibly in 1914 but by 1918 there was no chance of that at all and
the German government was more naive than I really believe they were
if they seriously thought they had a chance of achieving a peace on
those terms. Especially after Ebert telling the troops on 11 December
1918 they had not been defeated then scuttling the Grand Fleet at
Scapa Flow.

At one point the German government actually believed the Allies would
let them keep what they won at Brest-Litovsk!!! (Which is why there
were German intervention troops in Russia though they didn't stay
long)

>Both these points gave the US a major influence in the peacemaking process
>when it began in ww1.

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<23bdac6c-0388-4b64-8876-950971c86040n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6305&group=alt.history.what-if#6305

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 20:14:51 -0700 (PDT)
Provisional Government's peace push
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 03:14 UTC

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 7:35:28 PM UTC-7, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:15:55 +1000, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com> wrote:
>
> >> Factory of the World,
> >
> >That is the point. The US was starting its military build-up. France and
> >the UK, and as it turned out, Germany were all on their last legs.
> >
> >The other issue is that the Germans preferred to deal with the US than
> >France or the UK, thinking that a liberal like Wilson would give them
> >better terms.
> Well yes - the Germans were silly enough to believe that despite
> strong UK and French pressure to the contrary America would actually
> push through a peace based on the Fourteen Points.
>
> Possibly in 1914 but by 1918 there was no chance of that at all and
> the German government was more naive than I really believe they were
> if they seriously thought they had a chance of achieving a peace on
> those terms. Especially after Ebert telling the troops on 11 December
> 1918 they had not been defeated then scuttling the Grand Fleet at
> Scapa Flow.
>
> At one point the German government actually believed the Allies would
> let them keep what they won at Brest-Litovsk!!! (Which is why there
> were German intervention troops in Russia though they didn't stay
> long)
> >Both these points gave the US a major influence in the peacemaking process
> >when it began in ww1.

Ironically, having Germany keep its Brest-Litovsk gains would have certainly been better for the Ukrainians themselves.

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<wavh4ct65lqg.tsqawvima1q.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6307&group=alt.history.what-if#6307

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 16:54:41 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 06:54 UTC

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 20:14:51 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:

>>>That is the point. The US was starting its military build-up. France and
>>>the UK, and as it turned out, Germany were all on their last legs.
>>>
>>>The other issue is that the Germans preferred to deal with the US than
>>>France or the UK, thinking that a liberal like Wilson would give them
>>>better terms.
>> Well yes - the Germans were silly enough to believe that despite
>> strong UK and French pressure to the contrary America would actually
>> push through a peace based on the Fourteen Points.
>>
>> Possibly in 1914 but by 1918 there was no chance of that at all and
>> the German government was more naive than I really believe they were
>> if they seriously thought they had a chance of achieving a peace on
>> those terms. Especially after Ebert telling the troops on 11 December
>> 1918 they had not been defeated then scuttling the Grand Fleet at
>> Scapa Flow.
>>
>> At one point the German government actually believed the Allies would
>> let them keep what they won at Brest-Litovsk!!! (Which is why there
>> were German intervention troops in Russia though they didn't stay
>> long)
>>>Both these points gave the US a major influence in the peacemaking process
>>>when it began in ww1.
>>>

> Ironically, having Germany keep its Brest-Litovsk gains would have certainly been better for the Ukrainians themselves.

Considering what happened YES

Re: After entering WWI, the US actively endorses the Russian Provisional Government's peace push

<d8e77d34-eb1f-48a1-b805-9ee30a15e5e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6399&group=alt.history.what-if#6399

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
References: <0251cdca-0a24-4c68-bae0-a50d49fd56e2n@googlegroups.com> <s9hcfa$v2u$1@dont-email.me> <cqupbg199jekejahgakuq5jl6a4akl59ji@4ax.com> <01d33b6c-4da8-46ef-a0a7-f3b8b1b49332n@googlegroups.com> <W1cvI.568999$ST2.7291@fx47.iad> <hk11ippvzt1y$.2nf2nrn49jwa.dlg@40tude.net> <qiltbg90njoatmdmj7u1ffrm1pki28mcvl@4ax.com> <23bdac6c-0388-4b64-8876-950971c86040n@googlegroups.com> <wavh4ct65lqg.tsqawvima1q.dlg@40tude.net>
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 23:58 UTC

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 11:54:43 PM UTC-7, SolomonW wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 20:14:51 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:

> >> Well yes - the Germans were silly enough to believe that despite
> >> strong UK and French pressure to the contrary America would actually
> >> push through a peace based on the Fourteen Points.
> >>
> >> Possibly in 1914 but by 1918 there was no chance of that at all and
> >> the German government was more naive than I really believe they were
> >> if they seriously thought they had a chance of achieving a peace on
> >> those terms. Especially after Ebert telling the troops on 11 December
> >> 1918 they had not been defeated then scuttling the Grand Fleet at
> >> Scapa Flow.
> >>
> >> At one point the German government actually believed the Allies would
> >> let them keep what they won at Brest-Litovsk!!! (Which is why there
> >> were German intervention troops in Russia though they didn't stay
> >> long)
> >>>

> > Ironically, having Germany keep its Brest-Litovsk gains would have certainly been better for the Ukrainians themselves.
> Considering what happened YES

Yep, no Holodomor, no Soviet purges, no Soviet terror, and no Holocaust.