Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:59:54 -0500
Subject: Re: NIGHTMARE ALLEY (no spoilers)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 23:59 UTC

On 4/13/2022 2:19 PM, moviePig wrote:
> In 1940, a drifter is taken into the world of carnival trickery, where
> he soon becomes ambitious.  NIGHTMARE ALLEY, on HBOMax, is another dark,
> atmospheric melodrama from director Guillermo del Toro.  Although his
> film is (as usual) well-crafted, sumptuous, and fast-paced, it's perhaps
> overly so, as his characters and their plights never engaged me beyond a
> distant fairy-tale quality.  Best Picture nom, somewhat recommended.

This movie was an homage to the entire film noir category, and if you
didn't get that I'm not surprised you didn't appreciate it for what it
was. Bradley Cooper was merely excellent, and Cate Blanchett was Oscar
caliber. And then there's the elements of the macabre that del Toro
brings to the table.

Re: NIGHTMARE ALLEY (no spoilers)

<XEL5K.735357$oF2.317160@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6275&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6275

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:28:06 -0400
 by: moviePig - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 02:28 UTC

On 4/13/2022 7:59 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 4/13/2022 2:19 PM, moviePig wrote:
>> In 1940, a drifter is taken into the world of carnival trickery, where
>> he soon becomes ambitious.  NIGHTMARE ALLEY, on HBOMax, is another
>> dark, atmospheric melodrama from director Guillermo del Toro.
>> Although his film is (as usual) well-crafted, sumptuous, and
>> fast-paced, it's perhaps overly so, as his characters and their
>> plights never engaged me beyond a distant fairy-tale quality.  Best
>> Picture nom, somewhat recommended.
>

> This movie was an homage to the entire film noir category, and if you
> didn't get that I'm not surprised you didn't appreciate it for what it
> was.  Bradley Cooper was merely excellent, and Cate Blanchett was Oscar
> caliber.  And then there's the elements of the macabre that del Toro
> brings to the table.

I'll grant that it way noir, and even that that's not my favorite genre.

Re: NIGHTMARE ALLEY (no spoilers)

<16e5baa7cb8ca13b$1$919266$c8d58268@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6276&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6276

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 04:54:30 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:54 UTC

On 4/13/2022 9:28 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/13/2022 7:59 PM, trotsky wrote:
>> On 4/13/2022 2:19 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>> In 1940, a drifter is taken into the world of carnival trickery,
>>> where he soon becomes ambitious.  NIGHTMARE ALLEY, on HBOMax, is
>>> another dark, atmospheric melodrama from director Guillermo del Toro.
>>> Although his film is (as usual) well-crafted, sumptuous, and
>>> fast-paced, it's perhaps overly so, as his characters and their
>>> plights never engaged me beyond a distant fairy-tale quality.  Best
>>> Picture nom, somewhat recommended.
>>

>> This movie was an homage to the entire film noir category, and if you
>> didn't get that I'm not surprised you didn't appreciate it for what it
>> was.  Bradley Cooper was merely excellent, and Cate Blanchett was
>> Oscar caliber.  And then there's the elements of the macabre that del
>> Toro brings to the table.
>
> I'll grant that it way noir, and even that that's not my favorite genre.

I'd never seen any until I subscribed to the Criterion Channel. I would
go as far as to say it was the best period in cinematic history. Those
movies are best described as no bullshit. Gritty, psychological dramas
with superb casting, writing, and directing. Being black and white only
adds to the experience. I can see why they're constantly being imitated.