Sin has many tools, but a lie is the handle which fits them all.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to Bigger Problems

SubjectAuthor
* [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiggerJames Nicoll
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiDorothy J Heydt
|`* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsLynn McGuire
| `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiDorothy J Heydt
|  `- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsLynn McGuire
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsQuadibloc
> [...]
| |  +- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsRobert Carnegie
| |  `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiThe Horny Goat
| |   +* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to Bited@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| |   |`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsQuadibloc
| |   `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiJerry Brown
| |    `* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsRobert Carnegie
| |     `- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsQuadibloc
| `- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsQuadibloc
+- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsJonathan
+* Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiJoy Beeson
|+- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws ofChris Buckley
|+- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiJonathan
|`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to BiPaul S Person
`- Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of PhysicsMichael Dworetsky

Pages:123
Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to Bigger Problems

<8qgrmg9sgjm27i888b1cdf7u8qa11t4s52@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63117&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63117

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to Bigger Problems
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:57:07 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:57 UTC

On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 09:37:37 -0700, Paul S Person
<psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>>Pi is NOT a physical constant; it is a mathematical construct that is
>>useful. The Fine-Structural constant, see
>>(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-structure_constant>) is one of the
>>physical constants being referred to.
>
>Thanks for your input. But the point (such as it is) remains.
>
>And how many binary digits do we know it to?
>
>And where would changing flipping one actually produce a known effect?
>
>Do /any/ of these constants have a closed form? That is, an exact
>value that can be expressed as a finite number?
>
>If they could be altered, would any of them be quantized or would they
>all be continuous?

I have no idea but have heard past a billion digits.

I've heard the main reason for doing these computations is not so much
for their own sakes but as a way of performance testing new compilers.

Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics Leads to Bigger Problems

<c0c4e516-916e-4664-8a58-b58c65f959a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63129&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63129

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [tor dot com] Five Stories in Which Changing the Laws of Physics
Leads to Bigger Problems
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:25 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 9:52:31 AM UTC-6, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 21:36:58 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
> <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:

> >Some have an exact value, but that's by definition. For example, the speed of light. The others are measured and, of course, have margins of error.

> So ... some measure (presumably of distance, since speed is
> distance/time) is /defined in terms/ of the speed of light?

Basically, what happened was this:

It used to be that the second was defined in terms of the frequency of microwave
radiation from one particular substance...

and the metre was defined in terms of the wavelength of light from another substance...

since it was easier to feed microwave radiatiion into the electronic circuits of an atomic
clock,

while it was easier to measure distances using the interference fringes of light.

But then somebody did an experiment to determine the speed of light by comparing
these two types of electromagnetic radiation, and this was so embarassing to the
physical community that they dropped the old definition of the metre, and now
both the metre and the second are defined from the same form of radiation, by using
a defined value for the speed of light in metres per second and the old definition of
the second which still stands.

John Savard