From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Science Fiction and the Strategist 3.0"
Date: 22 Oct 2021 12:18:33 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:18 UTC

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2021/10/20/science_fiction_and_the_strategist_30_799758.html

https://tinyurl.com/3ycjujrr

Science Fiction and the Strategist 3.0
By Mick Ryan & Nathan K. Finney

In his 1946 book, The Revolution in War, Basil Liddell Hart
wrote that "our planning machinery has been much improved
in coordination. Its weakness still lies in a too routine
approach to the problem, on conventional lines. Under
pressure of war, much greater use has been made of scientists
than ever before. But adequate application of the data
requires a mind that is both scientific and military, while
for thinking ahead imagination is also needed-to complete
the trinity of planning qualities." Reading fiction,
especially science fiction, can nurture the imaginative
mindset in the military and national security professional.

In February 2017 and again in August 2018, we published
articles on why reading science fiction should be part of
the professional reading program of military and national
security professionals. Given that new and high-quality
science fiction has been published since that time, we
decided to update our reading list. Welcome to "Science
Fiction and the Strategist 3.0."
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..