A critic is a bundle of biases held loosely together by a sense of taste. -- Whitney Balliett

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

SubjectAuthor
* Questionable Content: Proportional ResponseLynn McGuire
+* Re: Questionable Content: Proportional ResponseDorothy J Heydt
|`* Re: Questionable Content: Proportional ResponseLynn McGuire
| `* Re: Questionable Content: Proportional ResponseDorothy J Heydt
|  +- Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Responsepete...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Questionable Content: Proportional ResponseFreezer
`* Re: Questionable Content: Proportional ResponseLynn McGuire
 `* Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Responsepeterwezeman@hotmail.com
  `* Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Responsepete...@gmail.com
   `- Re: Questionable Content: Proportional ResponseJoy Beeson

1
Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<skutko$oos$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63374&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63374

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Questionable Content: Proportional Response
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:50:14 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:50 UTC

Questionable Content: Proportional Response
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4640

Do not upset the unstable young lady with a highly weaponized space
station at her beck and call. And more than one person needs to know
her safe word.

Lynn

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<r1EAuJ.712@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63397&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63397

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 20:13:31 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 20:13 UTC

In article <skutko$oos$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>Questionable Content: Proportional Response
> https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4640
>
>Do not upset the unstable young lady with a highly weaponized space
>station at her beck and call. And more than one person needs to know
>her safe word.

Oh, I bet her father (who lives on the station) will intervene.
And if not, Station itself will stop the attack; it's not stupid
and it's known Hannelore all her life.

(And she is a lot saner now than when we first met her.)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<skvdgv$ap9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63409&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63409

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:21:15 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 22:21 UTC

On 10/22/2021 3:13 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <skutko$oos$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Questionable Content: Proportional Response
>> https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4640
>>
>> Do not upset the unstable young lady with a highly weaponized space
>> station at her beck and call. And more than one person needs to know
>> her safe word.
>
> Oh, I bet her father (who lives on the station) will intervene.
> And if not, Station itself will stop the attack; it's not stupid
> and it's known Hannelore all her life.
>
> (And she is a lot saner now than when we first met her.)

That was Station saying "Very good, ma'am." ! Station is an AI and is
programmed to follow Hannelore's orders.

Lynn

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<skveo5$fvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63410&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63410

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:42:10 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 22:42 UTC

On 10/22/2021 12:50 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Questionable Content: Proportional Response
>    https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4640
>
> Do not upset the unstable young lady with a highly weaponized space
> station at her beck and call.  And more than one person needs to know
> her safe word.
>
> Lynn

So what is the future going to be like when Elon Musk's children own a
space station or five and about a thousand space ships ? Will they
weaponize those space stations ?

Lynn

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<471fd3b0-555f-4909-a28e-52f5c8f13598n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63417&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63417

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:43:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 00:43 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 5:42:17 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 10/22/2021 12:50 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > Questionable Content: Proportional Response
> > https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4640
> >
> > Do not upset the unstable young lady with a highly weaponized space
> > station at her beck and call. And more than one person needs to know
> > her safe word.
> >
> > Lynn
> So what is the future going to be like when Elon Musk's children own a
> space station or five and about a thousand space ships ? Will they
> weaponize those space stations ?

Note that at some point in technological development you don't have to
weaponize a space ship; it already IS a weapon. In Larry Niven's short story
_The Warriors_ humans encounter the Kzinti for the first time, several light years
from Earth. The human ship, the unarmed Lazy 8, is one of the first interstellar ships and
has a low-acceleration photon drive. The far more advanced Kzinte warship uses
something they call a "gravity planer" to maneuver at hundreds of Gs. The Kzinti have
in their crew a telepath who correctly informs that the humans are peaceful and unarmed.
The Kzinti commander wants to kill the humans while leaving their ship intact for study.
Since the humans can't fight or escape, he decides to use an inductor to gradually heat
the human ship to the point where the crew will die. The people are half cooked when
someone gets desperate enough to use the photon drive to cut the Kzinti ship in half.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<r1EnLr.1us@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63418&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63418

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 00:49:03 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 00:49 UTC

In article <skvdgv$ap9$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/22/2021 3:13 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <skutko$oos$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Questionable Content: Proportional Response
>>> https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4640
>>>
>>> Do not upset the unstable young lady with a highly weaponized space
>>> station at her beck and call. And more than one person needs to know
>>> her safe word.
>>
>> Oh, I bet her father (who lives on the station) will intervene.
>> And if not, Station itself will stop the attack; it's not stupid
>> and it's known Hannelore all her life.
>>
>> (And she is a lot saner now than when we first met her.)
>
>That was Station saying "Very good, ma'am." ! Station is an AI and is
>programmed to follow Hannelore's orders.

But you know it's not going to. Not unless Jeph has decided to
throw in the sponge and take up oil painting or ceramics or
something.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<93562694-e01a-4f15-bb38-d821a03eaaa1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63421&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63421

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 02:50 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 9:00:03 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <skvdgv$ap9$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 10/22/2021 3:13 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> >> Oh, I bet her father (who lives on the station) will intervene.
> >> And if not, Station itself will stop the attack; it's not stupid
> >> and it's known Hannelore all her life.
> >>
> >> (And she is a lot saner now than when we first met her.)
> >
> >That was Station saying "Very good, ma'am." ! Station is an AI and is
> >programmed to follow Hannelore's orders.
> >
> But you know it's not going to. Not unless Jeph has decided to
> throw in the sponge and take up oil painting or ceramics or
> something.

Jeph leaves comments in tiny type at the bottom right of each page.
In this case, it reads "it would be really funny if this were the last QC strip,."

Pt

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<6d3b59a7-8115-4f20-bcfe-f903fd92c5f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63422&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63422

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:51:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 02:51 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 8:43:59 PM UTC-4, peterwezeman@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 5:42:17 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > On 10/22/2021 12:50 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > > Questionable Content: Proportional Response
> > > https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4640
> > >
> > > Do not upset the unstable young lady with a highly weaponized space
> > > station at her beck and call. And more than one person needs to know
> > > her safe word.
> > >
> > > Lynn
> > So what is the future going to be like when Elon Musk's children own a
> > space station or five and about a thousand space ships ? Will they
> > weaponize those space stations ?
> Note that at some point in technological development you don't have to
> weaponize a space ship; it already IS a weapon. In Larry Niven's short story
> _The Warriors_ humans encounter the Kzinti for the first time, several light years
> from Earth. The human ship, the unarmed Lazy 8, is one of the first interstellar ships and
> has a low-acceleration photon drive. The far more advanced Kzinte warship uses
> something they call a "gravity planer" to maneuver at hundreds of Gs. The Kzinti have
> in their crew a telepath who correctly informs that the humans are peaceful and unarmed.
> The Kzinti commander wants to kill the humans while leaving their ship intact for study.
> Since the humans can't fight or escape, he decides to use an inductor to gradually heat
> the human ship to the point where the crew will die. The people are half cooked when
> someone gets desperate enough to use the photon drive to cut the Kzinti ship in half.

One of the cliches on the HFY subreddit is "Humans can turn *anything* into a weapon."

Pt

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<XnsADCBEF2A09B73freezer88hotmailcom@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63423&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63423

From: freeze...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com (Freezer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 04:30:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Freezer - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 04:30 UTC

If I don't reply to this Dorothy J Heydt post, the terroists
win.

> In article <skvdgv$ap9$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 10/22/2021 3:13 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

>>> Oh, I bet her father (who lives on the station) will
>>> intervene. And if not, Station itself will stop the attack;
>>> it's not stupid and it's known Hannelore all her life.
>>>
>>> (And she is a lot saner now than when we first met her.)
>>
>>That was Station saying "Very good, ma'am." ! Station is an
>>AI and is programmed to follow Hannelore's orders.
>>
> But you know it's not going to. Not unless Jeph has decided
> to throw in the sponge and take up oil painting or ceramics or
> something.

That "Very Good, ma'am" had a very "I'll get right on that" vibe to
it, to my "ear."

Re: Questionable Content: Proportional Response

<eo49ng96rt6dd874hvcjf0j163t2i585bq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63466&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63466

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 18:57:00 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 22:57 UTC

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:51:52 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the cliches on the HFY subreddit is "Humans can turn *anything* into a weapon."

That's true of any tool user.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net