If you can lead it to water and force it to drink, it isn't a horse.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes

SubjectAuthor
* Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakesDavid Brown
`* Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakesJack Bohn
 `* Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakested@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  +* Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakesJack Bohn
  |`- Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakesDorothy J Heydt
  `- Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakesPaul S Person

1
Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes

<8bf687eb-b4b3-4d20-8703-acbe2697f4c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63589&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63589

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 17:48:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 00:48 UTC

For my Halloween lineup, I've reviewed a couple of sci fi/ horror remakes from the 1980s and early '90s. These are definitely two of the better ones, then or at any other time. On further consideration, I can only think of a few remakes from the period, others being The Thing, Invaders From Mars, and Cat People, and none that were especially bad. Anyone have their own memories of 1980s remakes?
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2021/10/featured-creature-one-that-remade-steve.html
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2021/10/featured-creature-one-that-remade.html
David N. Brown
Mesa, Arizona

Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes

<d4678073-685b-4431-a9f2-8b92a73df60bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63602&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63602

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:19:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 15:19 UTC

David Brown wrote:
> For my Halloween lineup, I've reviewed a couple of sci fi/ horror remakes from the 1980s and early '90s. These are definitely two of the better ones, then or at any other time. On further consideration, I can only think of a few remakes from the period, others being The Thing, Invaders From Mars, and Cat People, and none that were especially bad. Anyone have their own memories of 1980s remakes?
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2021/10/featured-creature-one-that-remade-steve.html
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2021/10/featured-creature-one-that-remade.html

There's "Nosferatu the Vampire," to distinguish it from the earlier.
Interesting thing about remakes. Back in the '40s, MGM bought the rights to Paramount's earlier Academy Award-winning Frederic March performance of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" with the intention to keep it from being rereleased in competition to their own Spencer Tracy version. Apparently, like, EVER.
The host of TCM tells me the producers of the 1938 movie "Algiers" tried to destroy every copy of the French film it was based on, "Pepe le Moko." IMDb tells me the same, I don't know if the one got it from the other.
An anniversary article on "Superman the Movie" mentions it was the first to connect to an earlier version, with cameos by serial Superman and Lois, Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill. I would say their appearance -truncated in the theatrical release- was not as important as them being sent out as ambassadors of the production.
Now we come to what I suspect to be the inflection point of that trend: the 1976 remake of "King Kong." Paramount could not wrest all the rights from RKO, nor keep it from being mentioned in articles about their film. I even remember nostalgia articles about the 1933 version from back then. This had no discernible effect on the box office. Except for a bit of contretemps with "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" C&Ding Clayton Moore from costumed appearances, the trend has been to acknowledge and embrace (and exploit) prior versions. This perhaps reached its height in the early years of this century, when the reboot of "Battlestar Galactica" coincided with a boxset release of the original series on DVD; the show an ad for the DVDs, the DVDs keeping the brand name out for the new show. Peter Jackson's "King Kong," although through Universal, had enough room on the gravy train for Warner Brothers to release a collector tin of RKO's with "Son of Kong" and "Mighty Joe Young," and Paramount to issue a DVD of theirs.

--
-Jack

Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes

<itt9fsFp3qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63604&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63604

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 27 Oct 2021 15:27:56 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 15:27 UTC

In article <d4678073-685b-4431-a9f2-8b92a73df60bn@googlegroups.com>,
Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
>The host of TCM tells me the producers of the 1938 movie "Algiers" tried
>to destroy every copy of the French film it was based on, "Pepe le
>Moko." IMDb tells me the same, I don't know if the one got it from the
>other.

Almost forgotten now, except that it gave us the basis for Pepe le Pew
(who is now, of course, being cancelled as well).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes

<67937a72-e87c-48b2-8c61-07d797bb49a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63623&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63623

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:26:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:26 UTC

Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <d4678073-685b-4431...@googlegroups.com>,
> Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >The host of TCM tells me the producers of the 1938 movie "Algiers" tried
> >to destroy every copy of the French film it was based on, "Pepe le
> >Moko." IMDb tells me the same, I don't know if the one got it from the
> >other.
> Almost forgotten now, except that it gave us the basis for Pepe le Pew
> (who is now, of course, being cancelled as well).

"Come with me to the casbah!"
As a kid I thought The Casbah was some Baghdad castle where he lived like a sheik (all my ideas of the "oriental" luxury of the Middle East coming from even older tropes. "Qasbah" means citadel; at the time of, and for the purposes of the movie it was the lawless quarter of the city, essentially a slum, houses built on top of each other and filled with squatters. Pepe lived like a refugee, which he was, being a wanted criminal.

--
-Jack

Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes

<r1nJ3z.1F23@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63626&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63626

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:50:23 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:50 UTC

In article <67937a72-e87c-48b2-8c61-07d797bb49a3n@googlegroups.com>,
Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <d4678073-685b-4431...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >The host of TCM tells me the producers of the 1938 movie "Algiers" tried
>> >to destroy every copy of the French film it was based on, "Pepe le
>> >Moko." IMDb tells me the same, I don't know if the one got it from the
>> >other.
>> Almost forgotten now, except that it gave us the basis for Pepe le Pew
>> (who is now, of course, being cancelled as well).
>
>"Come with me to the casbah!"
>As a kid I thought The Casbah was some Baghdad castle where he lived
>like a sheik (all my ideas of the "oriental" luxury of the Middle East
>coming from even older tropes. "Qasbah" means citadel; at the time of,
>and for the purposes of the movie it was the lawless quarter of the
>city, essentially a slum, houses built on top of each other and filled
>with squatters. Pepe lived like a refugee, which he was, being a wanted
>criminal.

Apparently it can mean all kinds of things, depending on where
you are and what language you speak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasbah

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Movie reviews: The Blob and Night of the Living Dead remakes

<4rglnghdcm5532ut97v3eo2evq173bi9ib@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63642&group=rec.arts.sf.written#63642

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:37:28 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:37 UTC

On 27 Oct 2021 15:27:56 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <d4678073-685b-4431-a9f2-8b92a73df60bn@googlegroups.com>,
>Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
>>The host of TCM tells me the producers of the 1938 movie "Algiers" tried
>>to destroy every copy of the French film it was based on, "Pepe le
>>Moko." IMDb tells me the same, I don't know if the one got it from the
>>other.
>
>Almost forgotten now, except that it gave us the basis for Pepe le Pew
>(who is now, of course, being cancelled as well).

I watched /1776/ last night.

I'm surprised it isn't being cancelled -- by Republicans -- since it
clearly acknowledges the embedded nature of slavery at the very
founding of the USA. And they Can't Have That.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."