From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Darkness Be My Friend (The Tomorrow Series #4)" by John Marsden
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:16:34 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:16 UTC

"Darkness Be My Friend (The Tomorrow Series #4)" by John Marsden
https://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Be-My-Friend-Tomorrow/dp/043985802X/

Book number four of a seven book young adult action adventure fiction
series. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
published by Scholastic Paperbacks in 2006 that I bought on Amazon. The
first book in the series was actually published in 1993, this book was
first published in 1996. I have purchased a used copy of book #5 in the
series for future reading. Book #5 is out of print so I had to order a
used copy. I have also ordered books #6 and #7 from Big River. And of
course I found out that I could have bought the entire series in trade
paperback at a discount:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWWCXBC/

At the middle of their high school senior year in Australia, a group of
seven 17 and 18 year old teenagers decide to go camping in the bush for
a week before school restarts. They gather up their sleeping bags and
supplies and go way out into the bush, actually at the edge of the
desert in a place known as Hell. After a difficult trip by Land Rover
and a long walk, they camp next to a spring fed stream. When they
return to Ellie's farm after a week, her family is missing and the farm
dogs are dead on their chains. They find out that Australia has been
invaded by an Asian nation and that their families are being held
captive at the town fairgrounds. The Asian forces have taken the
airports first and then the cargo shipping seaports. The justification
of the invasion is that the Asian nation needs the extensive natural
resources of Australia.

When Ellie and her friends blew up the enemy cargo ship at the seaport
with a cargo container full of ANFO (ammonium nitrate/fuel oil), the
main wharf and the cranes were all destroyed along with many of the
crewmen and soldiers. All of the remaining soldiers were desperately
hunting them in vehicles and helicopters from the harbor to the hills.

The first book in the series was made into a film of the same name in 2010.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow,_When_the_War_Began_(film)

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (66 reviews)

Lynn