I know not how I came into this, shall I call it a dying life or a living death? -- St. Augustine

arts / alt.fan.heinlein / About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

SubjectAuthor
* About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)a425couple
+* Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
|+- Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)John
|`* Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)Joe Pfeiffer
| `- Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)Ninapenda Jibini
`- Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)John

1
About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

<OP05K.213128$OT%7.96377@fx07.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=641&group=alt.fan.heinlein#641

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:11:27 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:11 UTC

About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

It was loosely based on the 1963 French novel
La Planète des Singes by Pierre Boulle.
"Planet of the Apes" is a 1968 American science fiction film
directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and stared Charlton Heston
and Roddy McDowall.
Interesting, 5 movies and a television series.

A wise acre just posted on the Heinlein FB group,

"I've wondered why, in the original Ape movie, Heston never
looked at the night sky and saw the moon. Surely that would
have tipped him off sooner."

--- Because movie makers can control and direct and
channel our thoughts? !

Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

<XnsAE76931EA1715taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=642&group=alt.fan.heinlein#642

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Subject: Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:27:44 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:27 UTC

a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OP05K.213128$OT%
7.96377@fx07.iad:

> About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)
>
> It was loosely based on the 1963 French novel
> La Planète des Singes by Pierre Boulle.
> "Planet of the Apes" is a 1968 American science fiction film
> directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and stared Charlton Heston
> and Roddy McDowall.
> Interesting, 5 movies and a television series.
>
> A wise acre just posted on the Heinlein FB group,
>
> "I've wondered why, in the original Ape movie, Heston never
> looked at the night sky and saw the moon. Surely that would
> have tipped him off sooner."
>
> --- Because movie makers can control and direct and
> channel our thoughts? !

My favorite answer:

"The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."

(The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in a
random line by one of the astronauts about there being no moon.
Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s small bit of
trivia at hte beginning.)

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

<k0995hdj5aihqihrl0fv6i0u1s89hut9ng@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=643&group=alt.fan.heinlein#643

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:07:24 +0100
 by: John - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:07 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:11:27 -0700, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)
>
>It was loosely based on the 1963 French novel
>La Planète des Singes by Pierre Boulle.

Roughly translatable as "Monkey World".

>"Planet of the Apes" is a 1968 American science fiction film
>directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and stared Charlton Heston
>and Roddy McDowall.
>Interesting, 5 movies and a television series.
>
>A wise acre just posted on the Heinlein FB group,
>
>"I've wondered why, in the original Ape movie, Heston never
>looked at the night sky and saw the moon. Surely that would
>have tipped him off sooner."

No necessarily. *Lots* of worlds have moons and Mr. Heston wasn't an
astronomer he was a gladiator or something.

In addition to which, it was daylight a lot of the time and everyone
knows that Earth's Moon is the ruler of the *night*.

Also, he had arguing with monkeys to do, which occupied some of his
time.

>--- Because movie makers can control and direct and
>channel our thoughts? !

That, too.

They have a couple of hours to tell what can be incredibly complex
and long stories. Obviously some minor details get elided along the
way.

Note that Mr. Heston didn't notice Sol, Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Orion,
the Plough or several dozen other indicators that he was back on
planet Earth, including the environmental variables such as air,
temperature, gravity and length of day. He didn't even notice that the
local star was of an *identical* brightness to the one that shines
upon the Earth. *I* would have but, as said above, he wasn't an
astronaut.

He was a Roman Gladiator.

J.

Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

<poa95hh8j9gngehc7prh0lvas0dcn7fi46@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=644&group=alt.fan.heinlein#644

From: Man...@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:40:05 +0100
 by: John - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:40 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:27:44 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OP05K.213128$OT%
>7.96377@fx07.iad:
>
>> About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)
>>
>> It was loosely based on the 1963 French novel
>> La Plan??te des Singes by Pierre Boulle.
>> "Planet of the Apes" is a 1968 American science fiction film
>> directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and stared Charlton Heston
>> and Roddy McDowall.
>> Interesting, 5 movies and a television series.
>>
>> A wise acre just posted on the Heinlein FB group,
>>
>> "I've wondered why, in the original Ape movie, Heston never
>> looked at the night sky and saw the moon. Surely that would
>> have tipped him off sooner."
>>
>> --- Because movie makers can control and direct and
>> channel our thoughts? !
>
>My favorite answer:
>
>"The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."

Alternate History Fiction. The same genre as "2001", "2010", "2012",
"U.F.O." (based in 1980, with a huge Moonbase) and the entire serial
"Millennium".

Not to be confused with things like "Apollo 13" which are "Historical
Drama".

That amuses me a lot. I saw that one happen "live".

>(The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in a
>random line by one of the astronauts about there being no moon.
>Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s small bit of
>trivia at hte beginning.)

I was rather surprised that the fucking *huge* USAF painted on the
missiles didn't clue in anyone.

No, they probably didn't show those markings on-screen but absolutely
*everything* in that country is marked with the flag and some logo.

And the ground is knee-deep in Coca-cola tins and other trash such as
roads, buildings, dams, Burning Man debris, MAGA hats, Masks, fag ends
and vehicles.

Palaeontologists have calculated it would take many, many millions of
years to erase the footprints of Humanity. Missiles would be unlikely
to stay ready for that long and random bits of statuary would vanish
along with the millions of steel and concrete constructions long
before the cities and roadways.

Mr. Heston not *immediately* recognising Earth is extremely unlikely.
Hell, the *guns* were a clue-by-four.

J.

Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

<1bbkx4nzjr.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=645&group=alt.fan.heinlein#645

From: pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 20:56:08 -0600
sha1:KNG7LFUThT1k8IYHRwj72jRp6Wk=
 by: Joe Pfeiffer - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 02:56 UTC

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> writes:

> My favorite answer:
>
> "The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."
>
> (The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in a
> random line by one of the astronauts about there being no moon.
> Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s small bit of
> trivia at hte beginning.)

I didn't (frankly, still don't) remember that. But.... did they provide
any explanation for there not being a moon any more? Or is the humorous
answer at the beginning of your post really all we've got?

Re: About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

<XnsAE7AE851F79A8taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=646&group=alt.fan.heinlein#646

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:50:19 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:50 UTC

Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote in

> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> My favorite answer:
>>
>> "The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."
>>
>> (The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in
>> a random line by one of the astronauts about there being no
>> moon. Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s
>> small bit of trivia at hte beginning.)
>
> I didn't (frankly, still don't) remember that. But.... did they
> provide any explanation for there not being a moon any more?

They did not. That was the point.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn: