Don't despise your poor relations, they may become suddenly rich one day. -- Josh Billings

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

SubjectAuthor
* New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersZobovor
+- Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersGustavo Wombat
 `* Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersZobovor
  `* Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersIrrellius Spamticon
   +* Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersCodigo Postal
   |`- Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersZobovor
   +* Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersZobovor
   |`- Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersIrrellius Spamticon
   `- Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon MonstersGustavo Wombat

1
New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<9bf784ad-74b6-4799-a62b-dbd155189b65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6429&group=alt.toys.transformers#6429

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 10:36:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 15 Jul 2022 17:36 UTC

Amazon UK has recently added some product listings for upcoming Legacy toys like Dead End, Pointblank (who comes with Peacemaker, so Targetmaster status confirmed), and a Deluxe-class Skullgrin.

Now, a couple of interesting things here. For one, Skullgrin was previously reported to be a Core-class toy, but has evidently been bumped up to Deluxe status. Also, Skullgrin's product code is identical to the product code previously associated with the Deluxe-class Energon Monster that was reported some months ago.

So, it's becoming increasingly likely that the Energon Monsters were code-names for new Pretender characters, perhaps while Hasbro was deciding which Pretenders to actually update. Which means there's still at least one other Core-class Energon Monster that we know nothing about yet.

Zob (there's also a rumor that Beast Wars Retrax might be reissued, because THAT was such a popular and hard-to-find toy that everybody wanted...)

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<97c16c3b-e25a-4e4f-8880-a2a55a8396dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6433&group=alt.toys.transformers#6433

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 18:46:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 01:46 UTC

On Friday, July 15, 2022 at 12:36:31 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> Amazon UK has recently added some product listings for upcoming Legacy toys like Dead End, Pointblank (who comes with Peacemaker, so Targetmaster status confirmed), and a Deluxe-class Skullgrin.
>
> Now, a couple of interesting things here. For one, Skullgrin was previously reported to be a Core-class toy, but has evidently been bumped up to Deluxe status. Also, Skullgrin's product code is identical to the product code previously associated with the Deluxe-class Energon Monster that was reported some months ago.
>
> So, it's becoming increasingly likely that the Energon Monsters were code-names for new Pretender characters, perhaps while Hasbro was deciding which Pretenders to actually update. Which means there's still at least one other Core-class Energon Monster that we know nothing about yet.
>

> Zob (there's also a rumor that Beast Wars Retrax might be reissued, because THAT was such a popular and hard-to-find toy that everybody wanted...)

My girlfriend just bought Retrax back in June....

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<tau1ib$skv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6434&group=alt.toys.transformers#6434

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 09:48:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 09:48 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> Amazon UK has recently added some product listings for upcoming Legacy
> toys like Dead End, Pointblank (who comes with Peacemaker, so
> Targetmaster status confirmed), and a Deluxe-class Skullgrin.

Is Pointblank going to be sold as a deluxe? I wonder what corners they
would have to cut for that price point.

> Zob (there's also a rumor that Beast Wars Retrax might be reissued,
> because THAT was such a popular and hard-to-find toy that everybody wanted...)

Not the toy I would have picked — Waspinator and Tarantulas seem like
better choice, although I would like to see Manterror or Jetstorm if they
are doing a lot of non show toys.

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<003aab08-54c6-4d30-b882-3818860cd3a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6436&group=alt.toys.transformers#6436

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 07:21:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:21 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 3:49:03 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Is Pointblank going to be sold as a deluxe? I wonder what corners they
> would have to cut for that price point.

Yes, he's a Deluxe. I had speculated once that the PotP Punch/Counterpunch toy would work well as Pointblank with some changes. However, the Amazon web site describes Pointblank as transforming in 17 steps. That effectively precludes him from being a reuse of Punch (he went from Autobot to Decepticon in nine steps and from robot to car mode in either 13 or 18 steps depending on which mode you started from).

Some people are speculating that he might be a modified Cybertron Override, but a) Override is a Voyager and b) Walmart would have exclusivity over the Override mold while the Velocitron series is on sale, so I don't think Hasbro could reuse it again elsewhere so soon.

It really could be an all-new mold. They're budgeted for these things sometimes. I mean, it's an old and tired joke that every new toy is really a Combiner Wars Silverbolt retool, but we do get new toys on occasion. Just look at Cosmos.

> Not the toy I would have picked — Waspinator and Tarantulas seem like
> better choice, although I would like to see Manterror or Jetstorm if they
> are doing a lot of non show toys.

I like Jetstorm a lot. He's one of my absolute favorite Beast Wars toys ever. I honestly think it probably comes down to which molds they're able to find easily that haven't been broken and don't require massive retooling. It's a cheap and easy way to churn out toys to appeal to the Beast Wars nostalgia crowd. I'm honestly surprised they haven't stuck to the media characters only. The number of people who remember Retrax, and would actually BUY Retrax, are far smaller than the number of people who are nostalgic about Tigatron and Scorponok.

Zob (still hugely disappointed in the Beast Wars Megatron 1996 reissue... what a let-down on all levels)

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<e95ceab6-c11f-468d-97de-451fdec25535n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6439&group=alt.toys.transformers#6439

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 07:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:35 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 9:21:34 AM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 3:49:03 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
> > Is Pointblank going to be sold as a deluxe? I wonder what corners they
> > would have to cut for that price point.
> Yes, he's a Deluxe. I had speculated once that the PotP Punch/Counterpunch toy would work well as Pointblank with some changes. However, the Amazon web site describes Pointblank as transforming in 17 steps. That effectively precludes him from being a reuse of Punch (he went from Autobot to Decepticon in nine steps and from robot to car mode in either 13 or 18 steps depending on which mode you started from).
>
> Some people are speculating that he might be a modified Cybertron Override, but a) Override is a Voyager and b) Walmart would have exclusivity over the Override mold while the Velocitron series is on sale, so I don't think Hasbro could reuse it again elsewhere so soon.

I heard somewhere a Studio HotRod retool, but again that's a Voyager/
Does Walmart really get exclusivity over a mold? I would have figured just that mold as that character. The Netflix line has the Bumblebe, but the Target 4 pack used it for Creatures Collide Goldbug. If it's a retool of something I'd think that there is no implied exclusivity. Target had Buzzworthy Kup while Studio Kup was in stores, and that's even same mold same character.

We could get a retool of a retool in another Blurr mold redeco. Get their mileage off of the Velocitron retool.

> It really could be an all-new mold. They're budgeted for these things sometimes. I mean, it's an old and tired joke that every new toy is really a Combiner Wars Silverbolt retool, but we do get new toys on occasion. Just look at Cosmos.
> > Not the toy I would have picked — Waspinator and Tarantulas seem like
> > better choice, although I would like to see Manterror or Jetstorm if they
> > are doing a lot of non show toys.
> I like Jetstorm a lot. He's one of my absolute favorite Beast Wars toys ever. I honestly think it probably comes down to which molds they're able to find easily that haven't been broken and don't require massive retooling. It's a cheap and easy way to churn out toys to appeal to the Beast Wars nostalgia crowd. I'm honestly surprised they haven't stuck to the media characters only. The number of people who remember Retrax, and would actually BUY Retrax, are far smaller than the number of people who are nostalgic about Tigatron and Scorponok.

But he's Powerhug, who wouldn't want a Powerhug?

> Zob (still hugely disappointed in the Beast Wars Megatron 1996 reissue... what a let-down on all levels)

I didn't open it, only did minimal color differences research to confirm the authenticity of an actual 1996 specimen, what is different?

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<c3db26ca-e239-464f-b09a-5d6ced5099c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6442&group=alt.toys.transformers#6442

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 15:19 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 10:35:23 AM UTC-4, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 9:21:34 AM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 3:49:03 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> >
> > > Is Pointblank going to be sold as a deluxe? I wonder what corners they
> > > would have to cut for that price point.
> > Yes, he's a Deluxe. I had speculated once that the PotP Punch/Counterpunch toy would work well as Pointblank with some changes. However, the Amazon web site describes Pointblank as transforming in 17 steps. That effectively precludes him from being a reuse of Punch (he went from Autobot to Decepticon in nine steps and from robot to car mode in either 13 or 18 steps depending on which mode you started from).
> >
> > Some people are speculating that he might be a modified Cybertron Override, but a) Override is a Voyager and b) Walmart would have exclusivity over the Override mold while the Velocitron series is on sale, so I don't think Hasbro could reuse it again elsewhere so soon.
> >
> I heard somewhere a Studio HotRod retool, but again that's a Voyager/
> Does Walmart really get exclusivity over a mold? I would have figured just that mold as that character. The Netflix line has the Bumblebe, but the Target 4 pack used it for Creatures Collide Goldbug. If it's a retool of something I'd think that there is no implied exclusivity. Target had Buzzworthy Kup while Studio Kup was in stores, and that's even same mold same character.
>
> We could get a retool of a retool in another Blurr mold redeco. Get their mileage off of the Velocitron retool.
> > It really could be an all-new mold. They're budgeted for these things sometimes. I mean, it's an old and tired joke that every new toy is really a Combiner Wars Silverbolt retool, but we do get new toys on occasion. Just look at Cosmos.
> > > Not the toy I would have picked — Waspinator and Tarantulas seem like
> > > better choice, although I would like to see Manterror or Jetstorm if they
> > > are doing a lot of non show toys.
> > I like Jetstorm a lot. He's one of my absolute favorite Beast Wars toys ever. I honestly think it probably comes down to which molds they're able to find easily that haven't been broken and don't require massive retooling.. It's a cheap and easy way to churn out toys to appeal to the Beast Wars nostalgia crowd. I'm honestly surprised they haven't stuck to the media characters only. The number of people who remember Retrax, and would actually BUY Retrax, are far smaller than the number of people who are nostalgic about Tigatron and Scorponok.
> >
> But he's Powerhug, who wouldn't want a Powerhug?
> >
> > Zob (still hugely disappointed in the Beast Wars Megatron 1996 reissue.... what a let-down on all levels)
> I didn't open it, only did minimal color differences research to confirm the authenticity of an actual 1996 specimen, what is different?

I love that they're recreating the 1997 experience of seeing crazy, fun toy designs that aren't beholden to which characters Mainframe picked to appear on the show. If the prices were a bit lower, these could be fun impulse purchases for kids and their parents, creating a whole new generation of BW fans.

When it comes to Retrax, I say we just...roll with it.

I'll see myself out.

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<bc785671-9d26-4be7-b468-befa5a773d4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6443&group=alt.toys.transformers#6443

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 15:48 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 8:35:23 AM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> I heard somewhere a Studio HotRod retool, but again that's a Voyager

I hope it's not a Hot Rod retool. That would be terrible.

> Does Walmart really get exclusivity over a mold? I would have figured just that mold as that character. The Netflix line has the Bumblebe, but the Target 4 pack used it for Creatures Collide Goldbug. If it's a retool of something I'd think that there is no implied exclusivity. Target had Buzzworthy Kup while Studio Kup was in stores, and that's even same mold same character.

I'm not really sure. All I know is that Hasbro said they couldn't reissue Netflix Soundwave until Walmart's exclusive rights to the mold expire, which is why they ended up reissuing Siege Soundwave instead. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that Studio Series Kup came out as a mass release first and that the Kupworthy version that came later was the Target exclusive. Same with Cliffjumper.

Or maybe it's about characters, and Goldbug is considered a different character than Bumblebee from a merchandising perspective? I honestly have no clue. Maybe I'll reach out to Mark Maher or Evan Brooks and ask.

> I didn't open it, only did minimal color differences research to confirm the authenticity of an actual 1996 specimen, what is different?

Water-squirting gimmick doesn't work. Tail-claw gimmick doesn't work. Helmet is painted glossy black instead of silver, to more closely match the show. But the lack of functioning gimmicks was a major downer.

Zob (I mean, when a toy only does a couple of things, and a reissue of the toy does none of those things...)

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<ce1f1dc8-1499-406f-8ef4-4ee1d19c95edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6444&group=alt.toys.transformers#6444

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:49:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 15:49 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 9:19:19 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:
> When it comes to Retrax, I say we just...roll with it.

Ba-dum tiss!

Zob

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<tav5u3$11ln$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6446&group=alt.toys.transformers#6446

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 20:09:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 20:09 UTC

Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1kenoby@att.net> wrote:

> Does Walmart really get exclusivity over a mold? I would have figured
> just that mold as that character. The Netflix line has the Bumblebe, but
> the Target 4 pack used it for Creatures Collide Goldbug. If it's a retool
> of something I'd think that there is no implied exclusivity. Target had
> Buzzworthy Kup while Studio Kup was in stores, and that's even same mold same character.

We know that earth mode Soundwave was/is under an exclusivity license (this
is the stated reason that upcoming Legacy Soundwave is the Cybertronian
design, as that exclusivity contract hasn’t expired). I believe the rest is
speculation.

Not sure why Goldbug gets away with reusing the VW Beetle reshell, when it
is before the Legacy Soundwave release, but who knows what dates these
things were intended to be released?

Does the different head make the difference? Is it the name? Let the
uninformed speculation commence!

(I do wish Goldbug had black plastic windows. Looks like the translucent
plastic is really dark anyway, so they should go with durability)

Re: New Legacy Listings, Plus More on Energon Monsters

<bfca2b4c-4367-45e3-8c4b-86025b6e4fafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6450&group=alt.toys.transformers#6450

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:23:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 00:23 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 10:48:47 AM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 8:35:23 AM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
> > I heard somewhere a Studio HotRod retool, but again that's a Voyager
> I hope it's not a Hot Rod retool. That would be terrible.
> > Does Walmart really get exclusivity over a mold? I would have figured just that mold as that character. The Netflix line has the Bumblebe, but the Target 4 pack used it for Creatures Collide Goldbug. If it's a retool of something I'd think that there is no implied exclusivity. Target had Buzzworthy Kup while Studio Kup was in stores, and that's even same mold same character.
> I'm not really sure. All I know is that Hasbro said they couldn't reissue Netflix Soundwave until Walmart's exclusive rights to the mold expire, which is why they ended up reissuing Siege Soundwave instead. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that Studio Series Kup came out as a mass release first and that the Kupworthy version that came later was the Target exclusive. Same with Cliffjumper.
>
> Or maybe it's about characters, and Goldbug is considered a different character than Bumblebee from a merchandising perspective? I honestly have no clue. Maybe I'll reach out to Mark Maher or Evan Brooks and ask.
> > I didn't open it, only did minimal color differences research to confirm the authenticity of an actual 1996 specimen, what is different?
> Water-squirting gimmick doesn't work. Tail-claw gimmick doesn't work. Helmet is painted glossy black instead of silver, to more closely match the show. But the lack of functioning gimmicks was a major downer.
>

> Zob (I mean, when a toy only does a couple of things, and a reissue of the toy does none of those things...)

That' basically all of the latest things. Override doesn't have pop out guns, Armada Starscream probably has no launchers, minicon Swindle, or wing sword Galvatron has no lights or sound effects.