It is better to have loved a short man than never to have loved a tall.

arts / rec.arts.poems / PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel TaylorGeorge J. Dance
|`* Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeW-Dockery
| `* Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeW-Dockery
|  `* Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeGeneral-Zod
|   `- Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeW-Dockery
+- Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeW.Dockery
`* Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeW.Dockery
 `* Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeGeneral-Zod
  `- Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor ColeridgeW.Dockery

1
PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<tn2kgk$1n44m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6451&group=rec.arts.poems#6451

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 13:52:03 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 18:52 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
Fragment 3, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Come, come thou bleak December wind,
[...]

#pennyspoems

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-edmund-spenser-1.html

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<tn2l5j$1n513$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6453&group=rec.arts.poems#6453

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor
Coleridge
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 14:03:14 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 19:03 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
Fragment 3, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Come, come thou bleak December wind,
[...]

#pennyspoems

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/come-come-thou-bleak-december-wind.html

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<dc5b8f0ffa1203f1b2cc870fe5fb21fb@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6492&group=rec.arts.poems#6492

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:32:31 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:32 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> SPAM REPORTED AND BLOCKED

>> Ah, yes; this group requires commentary. Let's see what we can find:

>> "Coleridge obviously became depressed and suicidal on realizing that he
>> would never be as good a poet as Michael or Jim." - Dr. NastyGene

>> "Coleridge was obviously a very bad poet. Notice how he uses the same
>> word twice. Couldn't he think of another word?" - Prof. NastyGene

>> "He was a fucking soup sandwich!" - Nurse MEatpuppet

> Interestingly, I was just reading about the great poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge this morning, and his poetic inspiration for Bill Everett, who created the character Namor, who is in the new Black Panther movie:

> *************

> https://www.grunge.com/1071774/the-18th-century-poem-that-inspired-marvels-namor/

> ******* Namor's creator drew inspiration from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner," says Inverse. The poem, published in 1798 within a collaboration between Coleridge and William Wadsworth titled "Lyrical Ballads," tells of a ship stuck in the antarctic. When an albatross appears to guide the ship, the mariner spontaneously shoots the albatross and brings a curse upon the ship and its sailors. As penance for his crime against nature, the mariner is forced to wear the albatross' carcass around his neck. The poem says, "Instead of the cross, the Albatross / About my neck was hung" (via Poetry Foundation). Other lasting cultural references to the poem include the common saying, an "albatross around your neck," which signifies a burden, writes Mental Floss. The ship and its sailors suffer many misfortunes, including encounters with slimy sea creatures, a ghost ship, and dehydration. A famous line reads, "Water, water, every where, / Nor any drop to drink" (per Poetry Foundation).

> Eventually, the sailors perish, except for the mariner, who finally earns absolution by blessing a group of sea snakes. The albatross drops from his neck, angels fill the sailors' bodies, and a mysterious power guides his ship back to port. The poem ushered in romantic literature, rejecting the Enlightenment's penchant for reason and order, explains Britannica. Instead, the romantic era praised the emotional, the individual, and the spontaneous.... ***********

> Read More: https://www.grunge.com/1071774/the-18th-century-poem-that-inspired-marvels-namor/?utm_campaign=clip

> *******************************

Looking forward to seeing Namor in the new Black Panther movie.

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<b87a767a30dc7805a35708421c013db3@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6494&group=rec.arts.poems#6494

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 23:26:10 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 23:26 UTC

On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 6:21:23 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 6:10:28 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > It expands the Sub-Mariner legend, but in a good ways, taking Namor's story away from being so close to Aquaman's.

Stop lying, Nancygene, I don't use drugs.

HTH and HAND.

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<7626f5b08ee6c8e405332289cc4f8428@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6497&group=rec.arts.poems#6497

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:40:53 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:40 UTC

NancyGene wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 12:18:57 AM UTC, Will Dockery wrote:
>
>> It expands the Sub-Mariner legend, but in good ways, taking Namor's story away from being so close to Aquaman's.
>>
>> Typo corrected, thanks, NancyGene.

> Nope, try again

Close enough, but thanks for the heads up, NancyGene.

By the way, are you "blinded by drugs" when you make your errors, such as "John Dunne" (twice), "Robert F Stillings" and that time you thought London was in Ireland?

Just curious.

🙂

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<a10cf4a1baa6418d43966ef7c3f3fb12@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6502&group=rec.arts.poems#6502

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:43:24 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:43 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
> NancyGene wrote:

>> On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 12:18:57 AM UTC, Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>>> It expands the Sub-Mariner legend, but in good ways, taking Namor's story away from being so close to Aquaman's.
>>>
>>> Typo corrected, thanks, NancyGene.

>> Nope, try again xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Close enough, but thanks for the heads up, NancyGene.

> By the way, are you "blinded by drugs" when you make your errors, such as "John Dunne" (twice), "Robert F Stillings" and that time you thought London was in Ireland?

> Just curious.

You nailed it, Doc....

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<cdfffddcc72d92a182f07cd8a55f8868@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6507&group=rec.arts.poems#6507

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 11:55:08 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 11:55 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> NancyGene wrote:

>>> Nope, try again xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> Close enough, but thanks for the heads up, NancyGene.

>> By the way, are you "blinded by drugs" when you make your errors, such as "John Dunne" (twice), "Robert F Stillings" and that time you thought London was in Ireland?

>> Just curious.

> You nailed it, Doc....

<Crickets>

🙂

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<23e4057450c224637f19e921be6f8494@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6509&group=rec.arts.poems#6509

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:31:13 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:31 UTC

Zod wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 8:35:15 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>> General-Zod wrote:

>> > Interestingly, I was just reading about the great poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge this morning, and his poetic inspiration for Bill Everett, who created the character Namor, who is in the new Black Panther movie:
>>
>> > *************
>>

>> > https://www.grunge.com/1071774/the-18th-century-poem-that-inspired-marvels-namor/
>>
>> > ******* Namor's creator drew inspiration from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner," says Inverse. The poem, published in 1798 within a collaboration between Coleridge and William Wadsworth titled "Lyrical Ballads," tells of a ship stuck in the antarctic. When an albatross appears to guide the ship, the mariner spontaneously shoots the albatross and brings a curse upon the ship and its sailors. As penance for his crime against nature, the mariner is forced to wear the albatross' carcass around his neck. The poem says, "Instead of the cross, the Albatross / About my neck was hung" (via Poetry Foundation). Other lasting cultural references to the poem include the common saying, an "albatross around your neck," which signifies a burden, writes Mental Floss. The ship and its sailors suffer many misfortunes, including encounters with slimy sea creatures, a ghost ship, and dehydration. A famous line reads, "Water, water, every where, / Nor any drop to drink" (per Poetry Foundation).
>>
>> > Eventually, the sailors perish, except for the mariner, who finally earns absolution by blessing a group of sea snakes. The albatross drops from his neck, angels fill the sailors' bodies, and a mysterious power guides his ship back to port. The poem ushered in romantic literature, rejecting the Enlightenment's penchant for reason and order, explains Britannica. Instead, the romantic era praised the emotional, the individual, and the spontaneous.... ***********
>>
>> > Read More: https://www.grunge.com/1071774/the-18th-century-poem-that-inspired-marvels-namor/?utm_campaign=clip
>>

>> > *******************************
>> Looking forward to seeing Namor in the new Black Panther movie.

> A fascinating study of the origins of Prince Namor, The Sub-Mariner, now in a theater near you:

> https://www.comicsbeat.com/unassuming-barber-shop-salvador-dalis-sub-mariner/

> "Everett cites Coleridge, the god Mercury, and even a pulpy story of himself being rescued by a mysterious man off the coast of Florida: on a boat wracked by wave and wind, Everett is about to succumb to the ocean depths, but he is miraculously saved by . . . someone. He turns around to thank the person, but THERE IS NO ONE THERE."

Good find, Zod.

🙂

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<5fe3939d357532c63277cebab0d29c64@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6529&group=rec.arts.poems#6529

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:57:12 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:57 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>>> Looking forward to seeing Namor in the new Black Panther movie.

>> A fascinating study of the origins of Prince Namor, The Sub-Mariner, now in a theater near you:

>> https://www.comicsbeat.com/unassuming-barber-shop-salvador-dalis-sub-mariner/

>> "Everett cites Coleridge, the god Mercury, and even a pulpy story of himself being rescued by a mysterious man off the coast of Florida: on a boat wracked by wave and wind, Everett is about to succumb to the ocean depths, but he is miraculously saved by . . . someone. He turns around to thank the person, but THERE IS NO ONE THERE."

> Good find, Zod.

> 🙂

Sad to report there probably will not be a Sub-Mariner movie of his own....

https://www.thewrap.com/wakanda-forever-namor-spinoff-movie-marvel-rights/

************* Why ‘Wakanda Forever’ Villain Namor Won’t Get His Own Standalone Marvel Movie ******

Re: PPB: Come, come thou bleak December wind / Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<f35599c2c4c6f891f3256ba6c431868c@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6535&group=rec.arts.poems#6535

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 00:35:53 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 00:35 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

>>> A fascinating study of the origins of Prince Namor, The Sub-Mariner, now in a theater near you:

>>> https://www.comicsbeat.com/unassuming-barber-shop-salvador-dalis-sub-mariner/

>>> "Everett cites Coleridge, the god Mercury, and even a pulpy story of himself being rescued by a mysterious man off the coast of Florida: on a boat wracked by wave and wind, Everett is about to succumb to the ocean depths, but he is miraculously saved by . . . someone. He turns around to thank the person, but THERE IS NO ONE THERE."

>> Good find, Zod.

>> 🙂

> Sad to report there probably will not be a Sub-Mariner movie of his own....

> https://www.thewrap.com/wakanda-forever-namor-spinoff-movie-marvel-rights/

> ************* Why ‘Wakanda Forever’ Villain Namor Won’t Get His Own Standalone Marvel Movie ******

Marvel Studios has a similar problem with several of their characters.