We have art that we do not die of the truth. -- Nietzsche

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

SubjectAuthor
* 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packIrrellius Spamticon
+- Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packCodigo Postal
`* Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packGustavo Wombat
 +* Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packIrrellius Spamticon
 |`* Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packGustavo Wombat
 | `- Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packCodigo Postal
 `* Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packZobovor
  `- Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 packGustavo Wombat

1
15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<e2b825c1-81fa-4e2c-a6d5-9e1c6ac84c45n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6440&group=alt.toys.transformers#6440

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 07:49:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:49 UTC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXMMSDY

So they're re-releasing some of the hard to get Studio Series. It's Optimus, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, and of course, Bumblebee.

4 of these molds are hard to get now (Bumblebee is easy, the rest are not fun). 2 Voyagers and 3 Deluxes, for $141, which is about what people paid for just Ironhide until this was announced.

I loved DOTM Ratchet and never bothered with Studio Series, and I missed out on the rest, but I still don't feel the need to spend this kind of money on a box set.

Has to be a huge box with a long backdrop.

I'm going to have to drop a few prices at work. We had Ironhide for $90 and Ratchet for $35, which was considered cheap last week.

Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<0274c90e-d60f-423e-8858-bcd10bd951adn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6441&group=alt.toys.transformers#6441

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 08:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 15:17 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 10:49:15 AM UTC-4, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXMMSDY
>
> So they're re-releasing some of the hard to get Studio Series. It's Optimus, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, and of course, Bumblebee.
>
> 4 of these molds are hard to get now (Bumblebee is easy, the rest are not fun). 2 Voyagers and 3 Deluxes, for $141, which is about what people paid for just Ironhide until this was announced.
>
> I loved DOTM Ratchet and never bothered with Studio Series, and I missed out on the rest, but I still don't feel the need to spend this kind of money on a box set.
>
> Has to be a huge box with a long backdrop.
>
> I'm going to have to drop a few prices at work. We had Ironhide for $90 and Ratchet for $35, which was considered cheap last week.

This is really great. Would love to see Hasbro do more of this, especially with the toys that were hit hardest by the pandemic. I despise profiteers who make it impossible for collectors, and more importantly, actual children, to purchase toys (to say nothing of essentials, like those who bought up essential supplies in bulk at the outset of the pandemic).

If Hasbro can keep more toys in circulation at a profit, it will hopefully have a deterrence effect on scalpers and their ilk.

I'm not loving the boxset price, but I get that they need to ensure the less popular/already owned characters (Bumblebee and Optimus) don't shelfwarm while the Ironhides get scooped up.

Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<tavf42$5te$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6448&group=alt.toys.transformers#6448

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:46:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:46 UTC

Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1kenoby@att.net> wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXMMSDY
>
> So they're re-releasing some of the hard to get Studio Series. It's
> Optimus, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, and of course, Bumblebee.
>
> 4 of these molds are hard to get now (Bumblebee is easy, the rest are not
> fun). 2 Voyagers and 3 Deluxes, for $141, which is about what people paid
> for just Ironhide until this was announced.
>
> I loved DOTM Ratchet and never bothered with Studio Series, and I missed
> out on the rest, but I still don't feel the need to spend this kind of money on a box set.
>
> Has to be a huge box with a long backdrop.
>
> I'm going to have to drop a few prices at work. We had Ironhide for $90
> and Ratchet for $35, which was considered cheap last week.

Unfortunately you end up witch a bunch of movie toys (rimshot)

I’ve begun going through bins of toys, sorting the bad or unpleasant from
the rest, and I am building up a bin of mostly movie toys. And Titanium.
And wondering “why did I think that a disappointing 2007 jazz toy was going
to be better in G1 colors?” And “I hated this toy as Sideswipe, and he
makes no sense as BW Quickstrike, so why do I have it?”

On the other hand that little scout Battleship is pretty awesome for
weirdness if nothing else.

Anyway, it’s good that they are putting out the hard to find Studio Series
pieces again. And I even approve of repacks like Legacy Soundwave even if
that’s the wrong toy — there have been way too many toys with a
blink-and-you miss-it distribution

I wish they would keep pumping out Seekers, and could find a way to give
some of the exclusive Seekers that were hard to get another release even if
they have the same retailer. See if Target wants a less shouty Skywarp and
that Hunter Green Seeker, etc.

Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<e3cfa861-a9df-4463-9142-2aac08ec7533n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6449&group=alt.toys.transformers#6449

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 23:41 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 5:46:29 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1k...@att.net> wrote:
> > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXMMSDY
> >
> > So they're re-releasing some of the hard to get Studio Series. It's
> > Optimus, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, and of course, Bumblebee.
> >
> > 4 of these molds are hard to get now (Bumblebee is easy, the rest are not
> > fun). 2 Voyagers and 3 Deluxes, for $141, which is about what people paid
> > for just Ironhide until this was announced.
> >
> > I loved DOTM Ratchet and never bothered with Studio Series, and I missed
> > out on the rest, but I still don't feel the need to spend this kind of money on a box set.
> >
> > Has to be a huge box with a long backdrop.
> >
> > I'm going to have to drop a few prices at work. We had Ironhide for $90
> > and Ratchet for $35, which was considered cheap last week.
> >
> Unfortunately you end up witch a bunch of movie toys (rimshot)
>
> I’ve begun going through bins of toys, sorting the bad or unpleasant from
> the rest, and I am building up a bin of mostly movie toys. And Titanium.
> And wondering “why did I think that a disappointing 2007 jazz toy was going
> to be better in G1 colors?” And “I hated this toy as Sideswipe, and he
> makes no sense as BW Quickstrike, so why do I have it?”

The ROTF Sideswipe was decent, then they decided to make him a convertible for no reason, other than to make him terrible.

> On the other hand that little scout Battleship is pretty awesome for
> weirdness if nothing else.

I have it in blue, an in black, and in a mix of blue and black I made from some partsbots.

> Anyway, it’s good that they are putting out the hard to find Studio Series
> pieces again. And I even approve of repacks like Legacy Soundwave even if
> that’s the wrong toy — there have been way too many toys with a
> blink-and-you miss-it distribution

Streetlight Soundwave was everywhere for a long time. He's still in a few places. If anything they should have given us a tape recorder mode Soundblaster. Give us Netflix Soundwave in black, with the 3rd faction logo like the Siege Soundblaster was supposed to have.

> I wish they would keep pumping out Seekers, and could find a way to give
> some of the exclusive Seekers that were hard to get another release even if
> they have the same retailer. See if Target wants a less shouty Skywarp and
> that Hunter Green Seeker, etc.

I still prefer the classics mold to the Earthrise, if they just gave us the Classics mold with the Earthrise style arms I'd be pretty happy.

Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<0df4fb99-8955-407a-b732-9db1c8180860n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6451&group=alt.toys.transformers#6451

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 18:08:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:08 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 4:46:29 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> I’ve begun going through bins of toys, sorting the bad or unpleasant from
> the rest, and I am building up a bin of mostly movie toys. And Titanium.
> And wondering “why did I think that a disappointing 2007 jazz toy was going
> to be better in G1 colors?” And “I hated this toy as Sideswipe, and he
> makes no sense as BW Quickstrike, so why do I have it?”

With the movie toys, it was pretty easy to get caught up in the momentum of collecting them. I know I refused to buy them for a long time because I was so turned off by the movie aesthetic. Then, after some months I was able to adapt to it, and I wasn't absolutely horrified by it. But, now that years have passed and I look at it again... I just don't like it.

If I'm being totally honest, the G1 Robot Heroes that were released during that huge glut of 2007 movie toys are the product that brought me the most joy.

However, without digging through boxes of toys, let me see if I can recall which movie toys are particularly memorable. For the 2007 film, I liked the Megatron toy covered in ice. I thought it was cool that they went with that screen-accurate version of the character. For Revenge of the Fallen, I liked the Skids/Mudflap ice cream truck. It's a fun and clever toy design.. I don't have a clear memory of the specific Dark of the Moon toys. Was there a Laserbeak toy? That was kind of fun. I wanted to love the Age of Extinction Dinobotz but their almost total lack of screen time really put a damper on that. But I remember liking Slash for his colors and styling. And that's where I bailed out, so I didn't buy any movie toys for The Last Knight or beyond.

Zob (really glad I didn't get sucked into buying Human Alliance, in retrospect)

Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<tavq1f$19ii$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6452&group=alt.toys.transformers#6452

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:52:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:52 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 4:46:29 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> I’ve begun going through bins of toys, sorting the bad or unpleasant from
>> the rest, and I am building up a bin of mostly movie toys. And Titanium.
>> And wondering “why did I think that a disappointing 2007 jazz toy was going
>> to be better in G1 colors?” And “I hated this toy as Sideswipe, and he
>> makes no sense as BW Quickstrike, so why do I have it?”
>
> With the movie toys, it was pretty easy to get caught up in the momentum
> of collecting them. I know I refused to buy them for a long time because
> I was so turned off by the movie aesthetic. Then, after some months I
> was able to adapt to it, and I wasn't absolutely horrified by it. But,
> now that years have passed and I look at it again... I just don't like it.

> If I'm being totally honest, the G1 Robot Heroes that were released
> during that huge glut of 2007 movie toys are the product that brought me the most joy.
>
> However, without digging through boxes of toys, let me see if I can
> recall which movie toys are particularly memorable. For the 2007 film, I
> liked the Megatron toy covered in ice. I thought it was cool that they
> went with that screen-accurate version of the character. For Revenge of
> the Fallen, I liked the Skids/Mudflap ice cream truck. It's a fun and
> clever toy design. I don't have a clear memory of the specific Dark of
> the Moon toys. Was there a Laserbeak toy? That was kind of fun. I
> wanted to love the Age of Extinction Dinobotz but their almost total lack
> of screen time really put a damper on that. But I remember liking Slash
> for his colors and styling. And that's where I bailed out, so I didn't
> buy any movie toys for The Last Knight or beyond.

That Mudflap/Skids is now in the “get these out of my life” bin. I’m not
sure I will manage to actually get the toys out of my life. I found the
toy’s idea excellent and the execution a fiddley mess.

The Last Knight Voyager Megatron is a near perfect toy.

I would love to get a new set of Dinobotz when they are through with the
Dinobots. They don’t need to be accurate to the movie, since they were
barely in it. And switching from the G1 gray to the Movieverse gunmetal
would blur the lines too much anyway. Brightly colored, big Dinobotz, with
better posability and holding together more. The movie toy design look
works for them, even though the toys were lacking.

Is Slash the red Spinosaur? No, that’s the one with feathers in the way.
Ugh. I want to like him. I keep thinking he’s not so bad. But then I dig
him out and play with him.

Scorn was my favorite, and got a bigger toy for a TLK which is awesome but
requires excessive force and has some stressed plastic as a result.

> Zob (really glad I didn't get sucked into buying Human Alliance, in retrospect)

I think I have most of them. I remember being very annoyed that they were
out of scale with Alternatirs, as G1 Prowl and Movie Barricade in scale
would have been fun.

Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<tavq1g$19ii$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6453&group=alt.toys.transformers#6453

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:52:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 01:52 UTC

Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1kenoby@att.net> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 5:46:29 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>> Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1k...@att.net> wrote:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXMMSDY
>>>
>>> So they're re-releasing some of the hard to get Studio Series. It's
>>> Optimus, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, and of course, Bumblebee.
>>>
>>> 4 of these molds are hard to get now (Bumblebee is easy, the rest are not
>>> fun). 2 Voyagers and 3 Deluxes, for $141, which is about what people paid
>>> for just Ironhide until this was announced.
>>>
>>> I loved DOTM Ratchet and never bothered with Studio Series, and I missed
>>> out on the rest, but I still don't feel the need to spend this kind of
>>> money on a box set.
>>>
>>> Has to be a huge box with a long backdrop.
>>>
>>> I'm going to have to drop a few prices at work. We had Ironhide for $90
>>> and Ratchet for $35, which was considered cheap last week.
>>>
>> Unfortunately you end up witch a bunch of movie toys (rimshot)
>>
>> I’ve begun going through bins of toys, sorting the bad or unpleasant from
>> the rest, and I am building up a bin of mostly movie toys. And Titanium.
>> And wondering “why did I think that a disappointing 2007 jazz toy was going
>> to be better in G1 colors?” And “I hated this toy as Sideswipe, and he
>> makes no sense as BW Quickstrike, so why do I have it?”
>>

> The ROTF Sideswipe was decent, then they decided to make him a
> convertible for no reason, other than to make him terrible.

Being able to see the ground through the car floor doesn’t help. But he’s a
pile of panel massage either way.

>> On the other hand that little scout Battleship is pretty awesome for
>> weirdness if nothing else.
>>

> I have it in blue, an in black, and in a mix of blue and black I made from some partsbots.
>
>> Anyway, it’s good that they are putting out the hard to find Studio Series
>> pieces again. And I even approve of repacks like Legacy Soundwave even if
>> that’s the wrong toy — there have been way too many toys with a
>> blink-and-you miss-it distribution
>>

> Streetlight Soundwave was everywhere for a long time. He's still in a few
> places. If anything they should have given us a tape recorder mode
> Soundblaster. Give us Netflix Soundwave in black, with the 3rd faction
> logo like the Siege Soundblaster was supposed to have.

I’d much rather have the Netflix version get reused. But I love the idea of
keeping popular toys and characters in the rotation in some way.

>> I wish they would keep pumping out Seekers, and could find a way to give
>> some of the exclusive Seekers that were hard to get another release even if
>> they have the same retailer. See if Target wants a less shouty Skywarp and
>> that Hunter Green Seeker, etc.
>
> I still prefer the classics mold to the Earthrise, if they just gave us
> the Classics mold with the Earthrise style arms I'd be pretty happy.

The molds are so similar, I wouldn’t mind if they upscaled the Classics
mold if that was going to be cheaper because of fewer parts. I do like the
larger size, although as Deluxes have shrunk, the Classics Deluxe might
still be pretty big with the rest of the toys.

(Was transforming the old Generations Sideswipe, and was amazed by how big
and dense he is)

Re: 15th anniversary Studio Series Autobot 5 pack

<9a10e107-3ba1-4b29-bc5b-4342845cd3a3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6458&group=alt.toys.transformers#6458

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:27:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 20:27 UTC

On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 9:52:50 PM UTC-4, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1k...@att.net> wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 5:46:29 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> > Seattle Wombats wrote:

> >> Unfortunately you end up witch a bunch of movie toys (rimshot)
> >>
> >> I’ve begun going through bins of toys, sorting the bad or unpleasant from
> >> the rest, and I am building up a bin of mostly movie toys. And Titanium.
> >> And wondering “why did I think that a disappointing 2007 jazz toy was going
> >> to be better in G1 colors?” And “I hated this toy as Sideswipe, and he
> >> makes no sense as BW Quickstrike, so why do I have it?”
> >>

> > The ROTF Sideswipe was decent, then they decided to make him a
> > convertible for no reason, other than to make him terrible.
> Being able to see the ground through the car floor doesn’t help. But he’s a
> pile of panel massage either way.
> >> On the other hand that little scout Battleship is pretty awesome for
> >> weirdness if nothing else.
> >>

> > I have it in blue, an in black, and in a mix of blue and black I made from some partsbots.
> >
> >> Anyway, it’s good that they are putting out the hard to find Studio Series
> >> pieces again. And I even approve of repacks like Legacy Soundwave even if
> >> that’s the wrong toy — there have been way too many toys with a
> >> blink-and-you miss-it distribution
> >>

> > Streetlight Soundwave was everywhere for a long time. He's still in a few
> > places. If anything they should have given us a tape recorder mode
> > Soundblaster. Give us Netflix Soundwave in black, with the 3rd faction
> > logo like the Siege Soundblaster was supposed to have.
> I’d much rather have the Netflix version get reused. But I love the idea of
> keeping popular toys and characters in the rotation in some way.
> >> I wish they would keep pumping out Seekers, and could find a way to give
> >> some of the exclusive Seekers that were hard to get another release even if
> >> they have the same retailer. See if Target wants a less shouty Skywarp and
> >> that Hunter Green Seeker, etc.
> >
> > I still prefer the classics mold to the Earthrise, if they just gave us
> > the Classics mold with the Earthrise style arms I'd be pretty happy.
> The molds are so similar, I wouldn’t mind if they upscaled the Classics
> mold if that was going to be cheaper because of fewer parts. I do like the
> larger size, although as Deluxes have shrunk, the Classics Deluxe might
> still be pretty big with the rest of the toys.
>
> (Was transforming the old Generations Sideswipe, and was amazed by how big
> and dense he is)

I quite enjoy the old Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold - still my go-to version of the twins, despite their being out of scale with WfC.

I just can't with the ER Seekers. Just a huge step back from the Siege seekers, and without the elegant simplicity of the old Deluxes. I agree, just upscale them as is, and call it a win.