From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Pitchforks, torches, and lightning enroute to NYTimes
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 19:17:54 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 19:17 UTC

background:

With a straight face, we got this from the NYT:

[Twitter posting]

New York Times Books
@nytimesbooks
With Jules Verne and the publisher Hugo Gernsback, H.G. Wells invented the
genre of science fiction. https://nyti.ms/3oN27IO
======
Which is getting them properly roasted , ratio'ed, and
slapped silly by all the people reminding them of the
author Mary "Frankenstein" Shelley.

Plus lots of others in prior years.

Yeah, wymmmnz.

Twitter thread (not sure how the funny characters will come through):

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Mary%20Shelley%22&src=trend_click&pt=1462077043110289408&vertical=trends

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Pitchforks, torches, and lightning enroute to NYTimes

<dcf38e0d-9005-488f-b5cd-5bae2fcb4a14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64681&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64681

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 18:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 02:40 UTC

On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 12:17:58 PM UTC-7, danny burstein wrote:

> With a straight face, we got this from the NYT:
>
> [Twitter posting]
>
> New York Times Books
> @nytimesbooks
> With Jules Verne and the publisher Hugo Gernsback, H.G. Wells invented the
> genre of science fiction. https://nyti.ms/3oN27IO
> ======
> Which is getting them properly roasted , ratio'ed, and
> slapped silly by all the people reminding them of the
> author Mary "Frankenstein" Shelley.

It certainly is true that Mary Shelley - and, for that matter, Lucian of Samosata -
predated Verne and Wells. Frankenstein certainly does qualify as science fiction.

However, one can indeed still say that the *genre* of science fiction was invented
later. The novel Frankenstein was, in its day, one of a kind. Wells wrote both The
Time Machine _and_ The War of the Worlds, and Verne wrote several novels that
qualified as science fiction.

So indeed it was Verne and Wells who opened the floodgates, and Hugo Gernsback
who directed the flow into a well-defined channel.

So, all one has to do is assume the NYT author chose his words with care, and then
we have no problem - the _genre_ of science fiction can indeed have been invented
long after science fiction _itself_ was invented.

John Savard

Re: Pitchforks, torches, and lightning enroute to NYTimes

<XnsADE9E59D32292taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64690&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64690

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 06:34:20 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 06:34 UTC

Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> So, all one has to do is assume the NYT author chose his words
> with care,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

This is the NYT you're talking about.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn: