To err is human, to purr feline. To err is human, two curs canine. To err is human, to moo bovine.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Brute Force FTL

SubjectAuthor
* Brute Force FTLDavid Johnston
+* Re: Brute Force FTLJames Nicoll
|+* Re: Brute Force FTLJ. Clarke
||`* Re: Brute Force FTLScott Lurndal
|| +- Re: Brute Force FTLJames Nicoll
|| `- Re: Brute Force FTLJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
|`* Re: Brute Force FTLDavid Johnston
| `- Re: Brute Force FTLted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
`* Re: Brute Force FTLQuadibloc
 `- Re: Brute Force FTLJ. Clarke

1
Brute Force FTL

<snhqsh$ui1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64736&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64736

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Brute Force FTL
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:32:14 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 04:32 UTC

What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
sense?

Re: Brute Force FTL

<snhs1q$r0i$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64738&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64738

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Brute Force FTL
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 04:52:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 04:52 UTC

In article <snhqsh$ui1$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
>tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
>setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
>sense?

I don't know that it is the only example but I think A Bertram
Chandler did one where they got close to C and fired off
a solid propellent rocket, with interesting results. It
is called To Catch the Star Winds.

Re: Brute Force FTL

<ne5ppg99e72b1brlmc5khtp9b88d85c5oa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64740&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64740

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 02:19:10 -0500
 by: J. Clarke - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:19 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 04:52:10 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>In article <snhqsh$ui1$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
>>tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
>>setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
>>sense?
>
>I don't know that it is the only example but I think A Bertram
>Chandler did one where they got close to C and fired off
>a solid propellent rocket, with interesting results. It
> is called To Catch the Star Winds.

That shows a misunderstanding of the problem.

Re: Brute Force FTL

<e27nJ.62018$np6.13875@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64752&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64752

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:39:06 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:39 UTC

J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> writes:
>On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 04:52:10 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
>Nicoll) wrote:
>
>>In article <snhqsh$ui1$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>>David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
>>>tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
>>>setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
>>>sense?
>>
>>I don't know that it is the only example but I think A Bertram
>>Chandler did one where they got close to C and fired off
>>a solid propellent rocket, with interesting results. It
>> is called To Catch the Star Winds.
>
>That shows a misunderstanding of the problem.

It was science FICTION.

Re: Brute Force FTL

<snj0gl$gcb$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64754&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64754

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:14:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:14 UTC

In article <e27nJ.62018$np6.13875@fx46.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> writes:
>>On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 04:52:10 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
>>Nicoll) wrote:

>>>I don't know that it is the only example but I think A Bertram
>>>Chandler did one where they got close to C and fired off
>>>a solid propellent rocket, with interesting results. It
>>> is called To Catch the Star Winds.
>>
>>That shows a misunderstanding of the problem.
>
>It was science FICTION.

It's nonsense but Chandler was not anything close to a hard SF author.

Re: Brute Force FTL

<a6cd6213-73ae-4134-af94-949cf0a0048an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64756&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64756

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 08:30:50 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:30 UTC

On Monday, November 22, 2021 at 9:32:20 PM UTC-7, David Johnston wrote:
> What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
> tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
> setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
> sense?

I'm not aware of such a story, but the idea that one might be able to
do that _was_ toyed with in some dialogue between characters in
Robert A. Heinlein's _Farmer in the Sky_.

John Savard

Re: Brute Force FTL

<XnsADEB5A6784B48taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64762&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64762

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 08:53:13 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:53 UTC

scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in

> J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> writes:
>>On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 04:52:10 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com
>>(James Nicoll) wrote:

>>>I don't know that it is the only example but I think A Bertram
>>>Chandler did one where they got close to C and fired off
>>>a solid propellent rocket, with interesting results. It
>>> is called To Catch the Star Winds.
>>
>>That shows a misunderstanding of the problem.
>
> It was science FICTION.

Or, more properly, science fantasy. For pedeantic purists. Like me.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Brute Force FTL

<nc7qpgt44sijiccgsuj31l74f7mf0nuull@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64763&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64763

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:58:26 -0500
 by: J. Clarke - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:58 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 08:30:50 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
<jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Monday, November 22, 2021 at 9:32:20 PM UTC-7, David Johnston wrote:
>> What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
>> tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
>> setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
>> sense?
>
>I'm not aware of such a story, but the idea that one might be able to
>do that _was_ toyed with in some dialogue between characters in
>Robert A. Heinlein's _Farmer in the Sky_.

Apparently some time later somebody explained relativity to Heinlein.

Re: Brute Force FTL

<snusss$asr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64931&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64931

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 20:26:20 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 03:26 UTC

On 2021-11-22 9:52 p.m., James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <snhqsh$ui1$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
>> tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
>> setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
>> sense?
>
> I don't know that it is the only example but I think A Bertram
> Chandler did one where they got close to C and fired off
> a solid propellent rocket, with interesting results. It
> is called To Catch the Star Winds.

Yeah that was the one.

Re: Brute Force FTL

<j0gemqFt5h1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64932&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64932

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 28 Nov 2021 04:26:02 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 04:26 UTC

In article <snusss$asr$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2021-11-22 9:52 p.m., James Nicoll wrote:
>> In article <snhqsh$ui1$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> What was that story where some guy who is skeptical about relativity
>>> tests it by trying to brute force his near light speed ship faster by
>>> setting off an explosion and it sort of works for no reason that makes
>>> sense?
>>
>> I don't know that it is the only example but I think A Bertram
>> Chandler did one where they got close to C and fired off
>> a solid propellent rocket, with interesting results. It
>> is called To Catch the Star Winds.
>>

>Yeah that was the one.

But remember, space is thin out near the Rim..
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..