From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "The Other Side of Dawn (The Tomorrow Series #7)" by John Marsden
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:08:28 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 22:08 UTC

"The Other Side of Dawn (The Tomorrow Series #7)" by John Marsden
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439858054/

Book number seven of a seven book young adult action adventure fiction
series. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
published by Scholastic Paperbacks in 2007 that I bought on Amazon. The
first book in the series was actually published in 1993, this book was
first published in 1999. Book #7 is out of print so I had to order a
used copy. And of course I found out that I could have bought the
entire series in trade paperback at a discount:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWWCXBC/

At the middle of their high school senior year in Australia, a group of
seven 17 and 18 year old teenagers decide to go camping in the bush for
a week before school restarts. They gather up their sleeping bags and
supplies and go way out into the bush, actually at the edge of the
desert in a place known as Hell. After a difficult trip by Land Rover
and a long walk, they camp next to a spring fed stream. When they
return to Ellie's farm after a week, her family is missing and the farm
dogs are dead on their chains. They find out that Australia has been
invaded by an Asian nation and that their families are being held
captive at the town fairgrounds. The Asian forces have taken the
airports first and then the cargo shipping seaports. The justification
of the invasion is that the Asian nation needs the extensive natural
resources of Australia.

It has now been over a year since the Asian invasion of Australia began.
Ellie and her remaining friends have been asked to create havoc behind
the lines to support an invasion by the New Zealanders who are being
supported by the United States and the Japanese. They do so but are
separated and captured. Then the Asians sue for peace and a splitting
of Australia into two countries, occupied and non-occupied.

The first book in the series was made into a film of the same name in 2010.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow,_When_the_War_Began_(film)

There is a follow on series, "While I Live (The Ellie Chronicles #1)" by
John Marsden, published starting in 2003 by Scholastic. Things between
the two countries in Australia, occupied and non-occupied, are not going
well and people are running reprisals across the border.
https://www.amazon.com/While-Live-Ellie-Chronicles-Marsden/dp/0439783232/

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (125 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "The Other Side of Dawn (The Tomorrow Series #7)" by John Marsden

<4v6qpghflhlajcf0kvo2t766lp0ogm5dmb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=64761&group=rec.arts.sf.written#64761

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 08:52:57 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:52 UTC

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:08:28 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>"The Other Side of Dawn (The Tomorrow Series #7)" by John Marsden
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439858054/
>
>Book number seven of a seven book young adult action adventure fiction
>series. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>published by Scholastic Paperbacks in 2007 that I bought on Amazon. The
>first book in the series was actually published in 1993, this book was
>first published in 1999. Book #7 is out of print so I had to order a
>used copy. And of course I found out that I could have bought the
>entire series in trade paperback at a discount:
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWWCXBC/
>
>At the middle of their high school senior year in Australia, a group of
>seven 17 and 18 year old teenagers decide to go camping in the bush for
>a week before school restarts. They gather up their sleeping bags and
>supplies and go way out into the bush, actually at the edge of the
>desert in a place known as Hell. After a difficult trip by Land Rover
>and a long walk, they camp next to a spring fed stream. When they
>return to Ellie's farm after a week, her family is missing and the farm
>dogs are dead on their chains. They find out that Australia has been
>invaded by an Asian nation and that their families are being held
>captive at the town fairgrounds. The Asian forces have taken the
>airports first and then the cargo shipping seaports. The justification
>of the invasion is that the Asian nation needs the extensive natural
>resources of Australia.
>
>It has now been over a year since the Asian invasion of Australia began.
> Ellie and her remaining friends have been asked to create havoc behind
>the lines to support an invasion by the New Zealanders who are being
>supported by the United States and the Japanese. They do so but are
>separated and captured. Then the Asians sue for peace and a splitting
>of Australia into two countries, occupied and non-occupied.

Hey, at least it ended rather than stopped.

>The first book in the series was made into a film of the same name in 2010.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow,_When_the_War_Began_(film)
>
>There is a follow on series, "While I Live (The Ellie Chronicles #1)" by
>John Marsden, published starting in 2003 by Scholastic. Things between
>the two countries in Australia, occupied and non-occupied, are not going
>well and people are running reprisals across the border.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/While-Live-Ellie-Chronicles-Marsden/dp/0439783232/

Even if the story was too lucrative to abandon.

Still, the author gets points for having the courage to end the first
series and then start a second one.

Not that I plan to read any of it. Cherryh's soap opera (Foreigner) is
quite sufficient, thank you.

--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."