Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. -- Don Marquis

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

SubjectAuthor
* DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)moviePig
+* Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)Bill Anderson
|+* Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)moviePig
||+* Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)Your Name
|||`- Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)moviePig
||`- Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)Irish Mike
|`- Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)Neill Massello
+* Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)Your Name
|`- Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)moviePig
`* Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)Ed Stasiak
 `- Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)moviePig

1
DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<nMCBK.492225$J0r9.231132@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6489&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6489

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Subject: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:31:46 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 18:31 UTC

In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into the
opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the principal
surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles -- one
major character manages to look anachronistically younger than when the
series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly recommended.

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<huGdnRf-cccUhkr_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6490&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6490

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)
From: billande...@yahoo.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 16:00:57 -0500
 by: Bill Anderson - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 21:00 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
> victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into the
> opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the principal
> surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles -- one
> major character manages to look anachronistically younger than when the
> series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly recommended.

Are you talking about Hugh Bonneville‘s weight loss? My 94-year-old mother
had to be convinced it was not some other actor playing the part.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<tb76vh$12mn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6493&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6493

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 09:16:33 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 21:16 UTC

On 2022-07-19 18:31:46 +0000, moviePig said:

> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
> victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into
> the opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the
> principal surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles
> -- one major character manages to look anachronistically younger than
> when the series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly
> recommended.

This was of course the second "Downton Abbey" outing on the big-screen
and it's possible there might be a third movie, but no decision has
been made yet. The cast, crew, and writer want to make more, but it
depends on how well "A New Era" does (as usual with the bean counters
in charge of the money) and what storyline(s) they can come up with.

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<vdFBK.493970$zgr9.80639@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6494&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6494

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 17:19:22 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 21:19 UTC

On 7/19/2022 5:00 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>>
>> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
>> victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into the
>> opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the principal
>> surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles -- one
>> major character manages to look anachronistically younger than when the
>> series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly recommended.
>>

> Are you talking about Hugh Bonneville‘s weight loss? My 94-year-old mother
> had to be convinced it was not some other actor playing the part.

Not only his weight-loss. Afaics there was some heavy lifting facially.

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<fjFBK.573693$X_i.302818@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6495&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6495

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 17:25:27 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 21:25 UTC

On 7/19/2022 5:16 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-07-19 18:31:46 +0000, moviePig said:
>>
>> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
>> victory lap.  Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into
>> the opulent proceedings.  But this is comfort fiction, where the
>> principal surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic
>> miracles -- one major character manages to look anachronistically
>> younger than when the series last aired.  For warm familiarity, it's
>> mostly recommended.
>
> This was of course the second "Downton Abbey" outing on the big-screen
> and it's possible there might be a third movie, but no decision has been
> made yet. The cast, crew, and writer want to make more, but it depends
> on how well "A New Era" does (as usual with the bean counters in charge
> of the money) and what storyline(s) they can come up with.

Oh yes, you're right, there was, and I saw it, and must have blended it
seamlessly into the wallpaper in my mental drawing-room...

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<tb7uro$e09$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6498&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6498

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:04:08 +1200
 by: Your Name - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 04:04 UTC

On 2022-07-19 21:19:22 +0000, moviePig said:

> On 7/19/2022 5:00 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
>>> victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into the
>>> opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the principal
>>> surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles -- one
>>> major character manages to look anachronistically younger than when the
>>> series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly recommended.
>>>

>> Are you talking about Hugh Bonneville‘s weight loss? My 94-year-old mother
>> had to be convinced it was not some other actor playing the part.
>
> Not only his weight-loss. Afaics there was some heavy lifting facially.

I don't think so.

Last year he did *jokingly* say that he has had several plastic
surgeries, and gave a list of parody surgery names ...

I have recently undergone a number of cosmetic procedures
including rhinomicroscopy, breast indecision, cheekoplasty,
follicoliopoly, dental undergouging, lipodonction and
aura misting.

<https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hugh-bonneville-jokes-plastic-filter-103235244.html>

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<MnTBK.575128$X_i.167648@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6500&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6500

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 09:26:02 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 13:26 UTC

On 7/20/2022 12:04 AM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-07-19 21:19:22 +0000, moviePig said:

>>> Are you talking about Hugh Bonneville‘s weight loss? My 94-year-old
>>> mother
>>> had to be convinced it was not some other actor playing the part.
>>
>> Not only his weight-loss.  Afaics there was some heavy lifting facially.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> Last year he did *jokingly* say that he has had several plastic
> surgeries, and gave a list of parody surgery names ...
>
>    I have recently undergone a number of cosmetic procedures
>    including rhinomicroscopy, breast indecision, cheekoplasty,
>    follicoliopoly, dental undergouging, lipodonction and
>    aura misting.
>
> <https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hugh-bonneville-jokes-plastic-filter-103235244.html>

Well, indeed he didn't have that astronaut-in-a-centrifuge look...

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<tb9i1l$1ppca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6501&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6501

From: nmasse...@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 18:37:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Neill Massello - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 18:37 UTC

On 2022-07-19 at 15:00:57 MDT, "Bill Anderson" <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Are you talking about Hugh Bonneville‘s weight loss? My 94-year-old mother
> had to be convinced it was not some other actor playing the part.

I had to look twice when I saw Sean Rigby (DS Strange) in the last Endeavour
series. Perhaps they both got motivated by COVID.

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<4e9b1491-54f6-4fc7-9a89-beaa6d883d3bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6536&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6536

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 10:36:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 17:36 UTC

On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 5:19:27 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
> On 7/19/2022 5:00 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> > moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
> >> victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into the
> >> opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the principal
> >> surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles -- one
> >> major character manages to look anachronistically younger than when the
> >> series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly recommended.
> >>

> > Are you talking about Hugh Bonneville‘s weight loss? My 94-year-old mother
> > had to be convinced it was not some other actor playing the part.
> Not only his weight-loss. Afaics there was some heavy lifting facially.

Never noticed - but then I'm mostly focused on Michelle Dockery.
Perfect, prim, proper and a little slutty. She reminds me of an
English girl I dated, It ended in a mutual dumping. I found an
Irish girl from Kerry and she found a soccer team.

Irish Mike

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<47ba38b0-cdb0-4544-9b7d-5d9a05f65103n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6538&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6538

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 07:42:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 14:42 UTC

> moviepig
>
> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
> victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into the
> opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the principal
> surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles -- one
> major character manages to look anachronistically younger than when
> the series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly recommended.

It was decent, pretty much just a longer version of the tv series episode
but I still wise they’d produce a proper prequel series centered around
Robert and Cora meeting, getting married and setting up at Crawley
manor, him going off to the Boer War, etc.

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA (no spoilers)

<OqvHK.122231$dh2.63201@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6539&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6539

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 11:05:16 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 15:05 UTC

On 8/6/2022 10:42 AM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>> moviepig
>>
>> In DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA, the Crawleys return for a big-screen
>> victory lap. Everyone's aboard, and some new scenery is worked into the
>> opulent proceedings. But this is comfort fiction, where the principal
>> surprise is that -- thanks likely to modern cosmetic miracles -- one
>> major character manages to look anachronistically younger than when
>> the series last aired. For warm familiarity, it's mostly recommended.
>
> It was decent, pretty much just a longer version of the tv series episode
> but I still wise they’d produce a proper prequel series centered around
> Robert and Cora meeting, getting married and setting up at Crawley
> manor, him going off to the Boer War, etc.

"Decent", yes ...even if most every subplot is a flirt with indecency.