It's better to burn out than it is to rust.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022

SubjectAuthor
* Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022Zobovor
+- Re: Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022Irrellius Spamticon
`* Re: Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022Gustavo Wombat
 `- Re: Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022Zobovor

1
Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022

<a9fafec0-e94b-4261-a81d-aa54fddbfc49n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6497&group=alt.toys.transformers#6497

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 02:06 UTC

There were some new Legacy reveals at SDCC 2022 today, thusly:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/07/21/san-diego-comic-con-2022-transformers-reveal-panel-461255

Skullgrin is indeed a Deluxe-class toy, and the styling is essentially the inner robot's body (in grey and pink) wearing the outer shell's skull helmet. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know they're still experimenting, but this whole weird Pretenders-who-aren't-Pretenders approach bothers me. Reducing them to just being normal, regular ol' Transformers makes them less interesting.

Pointblank appears to be marketed as "Autobot Blanker" for trademark reasons. He's a new toy, as far as I can tell, and not a recycled Hot Rod or Override or whatever. His Targetmaster partner was not in evidence in photos, but he supposedly comes with one. I think he looks great.

Crankcase is a partial retool of Legacy Skids, so a few of you guys totally called this one. His robot chest isn't just a pair of vehicle headlights, though, so I don't know what kind of crazy dark magic they worked to make that happen. If he has some kind of guns that can mount to his roof to simulate the Triggercon feature, I'll be happy.

Dead End looks very much like his cartoon self, in a way that the Combiner Wars toy just didn't. So, a definite improvement. Can't wait to see his car mode (alternate modes were not on display, and have been promised at a future date, probably just to keep interest heightened).

Armada Starscream looks like Armada Starscream.

We've seen pictures of Beast Wars Inferno previously, but they mentioned how he was color-matched to the CGI model for accuracy's sake.

The Leader-class Transmetal II Megatron looks stunning. The CGI model never quite looked like the toy, since they had recycled parts of his original Transmetal form (like the head design) instead of basing it directly on the 1999 toy. This version seems true to his look from the show. They also showed off his box, so we got to see the box photos of his dragon mode. He honestly looks great.

They also revealed the exclusive set for HasCon 2022, entitled "A Hero is Born" and featuring a 2-pack with Alpha Trion and Orion Pax, as previously reported. Alpha Trion is a remold of Studio Series Scourge, so he comes with the same Scourge gun and has Scourge wings, but the robot-mode head and chest and arms have been redone to make him more accurate. His vehicle mode is arguable a little bit silly-looking, but the character isn't even really required to transform, and most fans aren't going to be putting him in vehicle mode anyway.

Orion Pax is, surprise surprise, a Studio Series Kup remold. This is an idea they keep coming back to, but it works well. He still comes with energon goodies and I imagine his arms and legs are still detachable as well. The set also comes with a golden Vector Sigma computer, a circuit key, and a clear plastic figure stand for the mega-computer. Great news for fans who always wanted the BotCon Vector Sigma but don't want to pay (checks eBay) $86 for it!

Zob (seriously, that's a lotta money for a little plastic ball)

Re: Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022

<34c9bd83-700a-4536-bee2-620a90bf227cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6498&group=alt.toys.transformers#6498

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:10:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 02:10 UTC

On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 9:06:43 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> Orion Pax is, surprise surprise, a Studio Series Kup remold. This is an idea they keep coming back to, but it works well. He still comes with energon goodies and I imagine his arms and legs are still detachable as well. The set also comes with a golden Vector Sigma computer, a circuit key, and a clear plastic figure stand for the mega-computer. Great news for fans who always wanted the BotCon Vector Sigma but don't want to pay (checks eBay) $86 for it!

I was about to post this set, it looks cool
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=618223326539376&set=pcb.618223636539345

> Zob (seriously, that's a lotta money for a little plastic ball)

Re: Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022

<tbdj0c$rn3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6500&group=alt.toys.transformers#6500

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 07:18:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 07:18 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> There were some new Legacy reveals at SDCC 2022 today, thusly:
>

> https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/07/21/san-diego-comic-con-2022-transformers-reveal-panel-461255
>
> Skullgrin is indeed a Deluxe-class toy, and the styling is essentially
> the inner robot's body (in grey and pink) wearing the outer shell's skull
> helmet. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know they're still
> experimenting, but this whole weird Pretenders-who-aren't-Pretenders
> approach bothers me. Reducing them to just being normal, regular ol'
> Transformers makes them less interesting.

I really like Iguanus, because the toy itself just holds together so
nicely, has great ground clearance, rolls beautifully, and it’s fun.

None of which has anything to do will his Pretenderness.

I think the Fauxtenders have to clear a higher bar as a toy if they are
going to deviate so much from the original concept. A mediocre one would
feel like a worse toy than it is.

Also, I want Iguanus remolded into Slizardo. (And you can then pop of the
wheels, and add a cape or whatever… and I can just assume that life took an
odd turn for him and he’s a transforming cyborg now)

> Pointblank appears to be marketed as "Autobot Blanker" for trademark
> reasons. He's a new toy, as far as I can tell, and not a recycled Hot
> Rod or Override or whatever. His Targetmaster partner was not in
> evidence in photos, but he supposedly comes with one. I think he looks great.

I immediately see Armada Blurr’s shoulders when I look at him. I assume
there were a bunch of other toys with similar shoulders over the years
though, and the remold will be one of those… unless the Velocitron 500 will
become The Battle Of The Blurrs.

> The Leader-class Transmetal II Megatron looks stunning. The CGI model
> never quite looked like the toy, since they had recycled parts of his
> original Transmetal form (like the head design) instead of basing it
> directly on the 1999 toy. This version seems true to his look from the
> show. They also showed off his box, so we got to see the box photos of
> his dragon mode. He honestly looks great.

I liked the toy design better than the cgi model, because of the reused and
simplified elements. I might come around.

> They also revealed the exclusive set for HasCon 2022, entitled "A Hero is
> Born" and featuring a 2-pack with Alpha Trion and Orion Pax, as
> previously reported. Alpha Trion is a remold of Studio Series Scourge,
> so he comes with the same Scourge gun and has Scourge wings, but the
> robot-mode head and chest and arms have been redone to make him more
> accurate. His vehicle mode is arguable a little bit silly-looking, but
> the character isn't even really required to transform, and most fans
> aren't going to be putting him in vehicle mode anyway.
>
> Orion Pax is, surprise surprise, a Studio Series Kup remold. This is an
> idea they keep coming back to, but it works well. He still comes with
> energon goodies and I imagine his arms and legs are still detachable as well.

I’m ok with a retcon that he was torn limb from limb before being rebuilt.

The set looks really good. I do, however, now want a Scourge v. Scourge
set, with Laser Op Scourge painted as G1 Scourge and vice versa. I am
sometimes quite silly.

> The set also comes with a golden Vector Sigma computer, a circuit key,
> and a clear plastic figure stand for the mega-computer. Great news for
> fans who always wanted the BotCon Vector Sigma but don't want to pay
> (checks eBay) $86 for it!
>

> Zob (seriously, that's a lotta money for a little plastic ball)

Re: Transformers Reveals from San Diego Comic-Con 2022

<9902c18a-8735-4901-b2e7-afa87a1aba39n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6506&group=alt.toys.transformers#6506

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 02:10 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 1:18:38 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I think the Fauxtenders have to clear a higher bar as a toy if they are
> going to deviate so much from the original concept. A mediocre one would
> feel like a worse toy than it is.

Skullgrin's vehicle mode just leaked and it looks kind of awful. It's just a robot laying down with his toes poking out. He looks like Fastlane or Crossblades. Skullgrin's tank mode didn't look anything like that.
> I liked the toy design better than the cgi model, because of the reused and
> simplified elements. I might come around.

They kind of botched his face, though. He's got these pointy shark teeth.

Zob (it's the revenge of Sharkticon Megatron!)