A fair exterior is a silent recommendation. -- Publilius Syrus

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

SubjectAuthor
* Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCCIrrellius Spamticon
+* Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCCIrrellius Spamticon
|`- Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCCIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCCZobovor
 `* Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCCGustavo Wombat
  `* Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCCIrrellius Spamticon
   `- Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCCGustavo Wombat

1
Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

<83eafa66-e09b-4b5e-acd2-6581d98745a0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6505&group=alt.toys.transformers#6505

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 18:42:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 01:42 UTC

So it's a new series with new characters, and the directors and voice actors have said they're returning to a more kid centered focus, from the human perspective. They're trying to play in to the "family" and making "family" aspect. The adopted bots even take up the family's last name, and the kids and bots are "siblings" like any family with adoptees. 2 kids and 2 bots

Twitch and Thrash seem to be the new hero bot characters. They are Terrans, Cybertronians born on Earth. Female Twitch transforms to a drone, Thrash transforms to a cafe racer motorcycle and his shield becomes a sidecar.

Doctor Mandroid and his Arachnomechs seem to be the main villains, with Megatron present in a different capacity.

Elita One is a big pink jeep, ans 2nd in command of the Autobots.

They promised 24 full episodes designed to fit in a 30 minute time frame.

All the voice actors are union voice actors, and aren't actors I recognize from previous series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6AawjmN20

The toyline has 5 differnet prices, starting at
Tacticon, - autoconverting super deformed Bumblebee, Megatron (dual rotor helicopter), and Optimus $8
One step flipchangers Optimus, Bumblebee, Wheeljack $10
Warrior, Optimus, Elita One, Skywarp (repaint of Cyberverse Warrior Starscream in gray and blue) $15
Deluxe Bumblebee, Megatron (helicopter) Twitch (drone) and with build a figure parts for Doctor Mandroid (a man with a robot arm) $20
Spin Changer Optimus with Robbie(sp?) and Bumblebee with Morgan $30
So a little different from Cyberverse
No thrash toy in the first wave either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibB7mB2rZmo

Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

<76f8b89c-4e59-423b-9c6f-077089dd9a87n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6508&group=alt.toys.transformers#6508

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 20:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 03:39 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 8:42:07 PM UTC-5, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
> So it's a new series with new characters, and the directors and voice actors have said they're returning to a more kid centered focus, from the human perspective. They're trying to play in to the "family" and making "family" aspect. The adopted bots even take up the family's last name, and the kids and bots are "siblings" like any family with adoptees. 2 kids and 2 bots
>
> Twitch and Thrash seem to be the new hero bot characters. They are Terrans, Cybertronians born on Earth. Female Twitch transforms to a drone, Thrash transforms to a cafe racer motorcycle and his shield becomes a sidecar.
>
> Doctor Mandroid and his Arachnomechs seem to be the main villains, with Megatron present in a different capacity.
>
> Elita One is a big pink jeep, ans 2nd in command of the Autobots.
>
> They promised 24 full episodes designed to fit in a 30 minute time frame.
>
> All the voice actors are union voice actors, and aren't actors I recognize from previous series.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6AawjmN20
>
> The toyline has 5 differnet prices, starting at
> Tacticon, - autoconverting super deformed Bumblebee, Megatron (dual rotor helicopter), and Optimus $8
> One step flipchangers Optimus, Bumblebee, Wheeljack $10
> Warrior, Optimus, Elita One, Skywarp (repaint of Cyberverse Warrior Starscream in gray and blue) $15
> Deluxe Bumblebee, Megatron (helicopter) Twitch (drone) and with build a figure parts for Doctor Mandroid (a man with a robot arm) $20
> Spin Changer Optimus with Robbie(sp?) and Bumblebee with Morgan $30
> So a little different from Cyberverse
> No thrash toy in the first wave either
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibB7mB2rZmo

Series trailer
https://www.facebook.com/transformers/videos/493428302550590/

Toys
https://www.facebook.com/transformers/photos/pcb.7671470982923029/7671469232923204/

Bombshell was in that preview with a very G1 look

Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

<f1f86266-2b17-4a1e-894b-73f5bc83119cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6509&group=alt.toys.transformers#6509

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 05:09:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:09 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 10:39:02 PM UTC-5, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 8:42:07 PM UTC-5, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
> > So it's a new series with new characters, and the directors and voice actors have said they're returning to a more kid centered focus, from the human perspective. They're trying to play in to the "family" and making "family" aspect. The adopted bots even take up the family's last name, and the kids and bots are "siblings" like any family with adoptees. 2 kids and 2 bots
> >
> > Twitch and Thrash seem to be the new hero bot characters. They are Terrans, Cybertronians born on Earth. Female Twitch transforms to a drone, Thrash transforms to a cafe racer motorcycle and his shield becomes a sidecar.
> >
> > Doctor Mandroid and his Arachnomechs seem to be the main villains, with Megatron present in a different capacity.
> >
> > Elita One is a big pink jeep, ans 2nd in command of the Autobots.
> >
> > They promised 24 full episodes designed to fit in a 30 minute time frame.
> >
> > All the voice actors are union voice actors, and aren't actors I recognize from previous series.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6AawjmN20
> >
> > The toyline has 5 differnet prices, starting at
> > Tacticon, - autoconverting super deformed Bumblebee, Megatron (dual rotor helicopter), and Optimus $8
> > One step flipchangers Optimus, Bumblebee, Wheeljack $10
> > Warrior, Optimus, Elita One, Skywarp (repaint of Cyberverse Warrior Starscream in gray and blue) $15
> > Deluxe Bumblebee, Megatron (helicopter) Twitch (drone) and with build a figure parts for Doctor Mandroid (a man with a robot arm) $20
> > Spin Changer Optimus with Robbie(sp?) and Bumblebee with Morgan $30
> > So a little different from Cyberverse
> > No thrash toy in the first wave either
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibB7mB2rZmo
> Series trailer
> https://www.facebook.com/transformers/videos/493428302550590/
>
> Toys
> https://www.facebook.com/transformers/photos/pcb.7671470982923029/7671469232923204/
>
> Bombshell was in that preview with a very G1 look

So apparently I wasn't paying that much attention (and it was late) when going through the voice actors.
I didn't recognize them as voice actors in a Transformers series, but there are some pretty big name actors (to be fair one of the names was badly butchered in the video)

Bumblebee - Dani Pudi - Community
Optimus Prime - Alan Tudyk - Firefly, Resident Alien, Dollhouse, DotM
Doctor Mandroid - Dietrich Bader - Drew Carey Show , voices on Gargoyles, various Batman series, Office Space, Jay and Silent bob Strike Back, MOTU Revelations, and yes, 1 episode of Rescue bots is a Transformers series
Megatron - Rory McCann - Game of Thrones,
Elita One -Cissy Jones - Owl House, Naruto Shippuden

Then the actors I'm actually sure I don't know, and the things I've seen and didn't know they were in
Robby Malto - Sydney Mikayla - Kipo and the age of Wnderbeasts
Morgan "Mo" Malto - Zion Broadnax
Dot Malto (mom) - Benni Latham
Alex Malto (dad) - Jon Jon Briones
Twitch Malto - Kathreen Khavari - Ms Marvel (various series)
Thrash Malto - Zeno Robinson - My Hero Academia, Turning Red

https://www.facebook.com/transformers/photos/a.153259298077606/7671639952906132/

Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

<872b3f30-fdd2-4b9f-a4e9-f57044a6aa63n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6510&group=alt.toys.transformers#6510

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:31:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 18:31 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 7:42:07 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> So it's a new series with new characters, and the directors and voice actors have said they're returning to a more kid centered focus, from the human perspective. They're trying to play in to the "family" and making "family" aspect.

The toy line looks like just more Cyberverse to me. It's interesting how we have three distinct Transformers toy lines now—Rescue Bots as an introduction to the brand for toddlers, Cyberverse/Earthspark for the elementary school crowd, and then the mainline, which seems to have taken a shift to an almost entirely collector-centered focus. (I mean, there's nothing stopping a seven-year-old boy from buying Legacy Motormaster, but is he really going to get $100 worth of enjoyment out of it?)

When my son was young, the Transformers toys in stores were mostly hypercomplicated movie toys, and even the tiny Legend-class versions were garbage. He grew up on G1 toys (Throttlebots and Duocons for the win!) because it was the only product in existence, past or present, that a four-year-old could easily master. So, I'm glad they're doing stuff now that's simple and easy for kids. It was a gap in the product range for a long time, so it's nice to see that addressed.

Zob (even most of the Fast Action Battlers were junk, to be honest)

Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

<tbhv56$a8i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6513&group=alt.toys.transformers#6513

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 23:10:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 23:10 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 7:42:07 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
>> So it's a new series with new characters, and the directors and voice
>> actors have said they're returning to a more kid centered focus, from
>> the human perspective. They're trying to play in to the "family" and
>> making "family" aspect.
>
> The toy line looks like just more Cyberverse to me.

It looks like the slightly more G1 style of Cyberverse, but very
Cyberverse. I wouldn’t be surprised if Skywarp was Cyberverse. The rest
look slightly different, but I can’t place how.

> It's interesting how we have three distinct Transformers toy lines
> now—Rescue Bots as an introduction to the brand for toddlers,
> Cyberverse/Earthspark for the elementary school crowd, and then the
> mainline, which seems to have taken a shift to an almost entirely
> collector-centered focus. (I mean, there's nothing stopping a
> seven-year-old boy from buying Legacy Motormaster, but is he really going
> to get $100 worth of enjoyment out of it?)
>
> When my son was young, the Transformers toys in stores were mostly
> hypercomplicated movie toys, and even the tiny Legend-class versions were
> garbage. He grew up on G1 toys (Throttlebots and Duocons for the win!)
> because it was the only product in existence, past or present, that a
> four-year-old could easily master. So, I'm glad they're doing stuff now
> that's simple and easy for kids. It was a gap in the product range for a
> long time, so it's nice to see that addressed.

I wish they were giving a bit more of a generations boxy style to the kids
line. Kids don’t want kiddie toys, they want to feel more grown up. Plus,
I’d be more likely to buy the kiddie toys then…

Still disappointed there was no Cyberverse Volcanus that was a real
combiner.

> Zob (even most of the Fast Action Battlers were junk, to be honest)

They really were. The new Studio Series Movie Galvatron looks like it
combines the look of a fast action battler with the complexity of a
collector toy, which seems like the exact wrong approach. The chest is a
perfectly square box with movie greebles.

Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

<9c72f0c1-c53a-4617-aa0f-a25ddbf6002cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6516&group=alt.toys.transformers#6516

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 20:57:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 03:57 UTC

On Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 6:10:35 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 7:42:07 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
> >
> >> So it's a new series with new characters, and the directors and voice
> >> actors have said they're returning to a more kid centered focus, from
> >> the human perspective. They're trying to play in to the "family" and
> >> making "family" aspect.
> >
> > The toy line looks like just more Cyberverse to me.
> It looks like the slightly more G1 style of Cyberverse, but very
> Cyberverse. I wouldn’t be surprised if Skywarp was Cyberverse. The rest
> look slightly different, but I can’t place how.

Skywarp is a Cyberverse repaint....

> > It's interesting how we have three distinct Transformers toy lines
> > now—Rescue Bots as an introduction to the brand for toddlers,
> > Cyberverse/Earthspark for the elementary school crowd, and then the
> > mainline, which seems to have taken a shift to an almost entirely
> > collector-centered focus. (I mean, there's nothing stopping a
> > seven-year-old boy from buying Legacy Motormaster, but is he really going
> > to get $100 worth of enjoyment out of it?)
> >
> > When my son was young, the Transformers toys in stores were mostly
> > hypercomplicated movie toys, and even the tiny Legend-class versions were
> > garbage. He grew up on G1 toys (Throttlebots and Duocons for the win!)
> > because it was the only product in existence, past or present, that a
> > four-year-old could easily master. So, I'm glad they're doing stuff now
> > that's simple and easy for kids. It was a gap in the product range for a
> > long time, so it's nice to see that addressed.
> I wish they were giving a bit more of a generations boxy style to the kids
> line. Kids don’t want kiddie toys, they want to feel more grown up. Plus,
> I’d be more likely to buy the kiddie toys then…
>
> Still disappointed there was no Cyberverse Volcanus that was a real
> combiner.
> > Zob (even most of the Fast Action Battlers were junk, to be honest)

With the exception of having the only radio Frenzy, the rest of the line is utterly redundant.

> They really were. The new Studio Series Movie Galvatron looks like it
> combines the look of a fast action battler with the complexity of a
> collector toy, which seems like the exact wrong approach. The chest is a
> perfectly square box with movie greebles.

Somehow they made the Voyager shellformer from the movie toys look better

Re: Earthspark series and toys revealed at SDCC

<tbiird$1rs8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6517&group=alt.toys.transformers#6517

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 04:46:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 04:46 UTC

Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1kenoby@att.net> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 6:10:35 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>> Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> The toy line looks like just more Cyberverse to me.
>> It looks like the slightly more G1 style of Cyberverse, but very
>> Cyberverse. I wouldn’t be surprised if Skywarp was Cyberverse. The rest
>> look slightly different, but I can’t place how.
>
> Skywarp is a Cyberverse repaint....

I am not surprised.

>>> It's interesting how we have three distinct Transformers toy lines
>>> now—Rescue Bots as an introduction to the brand for toddlers,
>>> Cyberverse/Earthspark for the elementary school crowd, and then the
>>> mainline, which seems to have taken a shift to an almost entirely
>>> collector-centered focus. (I mean, there's nothing stopping a
>>> seven-year-old boy from buying Legacy Motormaster, but is he really going
>>> to get $100 worth of enjoyment out of it?)
>>>
>>> When my son was young, the Transformers toys in stores were mostly
>>> hypercomplicated movie toys, and even the tiny Legend-class versions were
>>> garbage. He grew up on G1 toys (Throttlebots and Duocons for the win!)
>>> because it was the only product in existence, past or present, that a
>>> four-year-old could easily master. So, I'm glad they're doing stuff now
>>> that's simple and easy for kids. It was a gap in the product range for a
>>> long time, so it's nice to see that addressed.
>> I wish they were giving a bit more of a generations boxy style to the kids
>> line. Kids don’t want kiddie toys, they want to feel more grown up. Plus,
>> I’d be more likely to buy the kiddie toys then…
>>
>> Still disappointed there was no Cyberverse Volcanus that was a real
>> combiner.
>>> Zob (even most of the Fast Action Battlers were junk, to be honest)
>
> With the exception of having the only radio Frenzy, the rest of the line
> is utterly redundant.

Bad, sure, but redundant?

I think that if they were more successful toys, they would be great.
Simplified versions of the main line, at a time when the main line was
getting super complex. A really good idea, if you can get the branding
right, so you don’t have people buying the wrong thing and being
disappointed.

Young Children’s toys for a PG-13-rated movie is a bit odd. And the movie
design doesn’t really lend itself to simple toys, as the robot modes are
covered in fake complexity movie greebles.

I would be delighted if they had a cartoon aimed at kids for the current
Generations toyline, with a parallel toyline of the same characters aimed
at younger kids. Have the 27 step Goldbug that we have now, and something
with 6 steps based on the original G1 toy.

For a lot of the toys, we know they can make a simple version. Laser
Optimus was trivial and is now 30 steps. With Legacy, we would often have
original toys to use as a cheat sheet during the design phase.

(It might need a slightly different visual style between the lines, with
the kid line being smoother and more details on the collector line to help
differentiate, but maybe not)

And, yes, the cartoon would have a deeply insane story that gets Skids,
Inferno, Bulkhead, Galvatron and Iguanus. Probably a new universe, and
would probably annoy Zob because Skullgrin would be there for comedic
effect and he was never like that in the comics. Barely farted at all in
the comics.

>> They really were. The new Studio Series Movie Galvatron looks like it
>> combines the look of a fast action battler with the complexity of a
>> collector toy, which seems like the exact wrong approach. The chest is a
>> perfectly square box with movie greebles.
>
> Somehow they made the Voyager shellformer from the movie toys look better

I know that shellformer is not great, but he really amuses me. He carries a
pop up tent decorated to look like a truck cab, and then he pops it up, and
crouches down inside as a transformation. It’s hysterical.