In 1869 the waffle iron was invented for people who had wrinkled waffles.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and Skyer

SubjectAuthor
* 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and SkyerIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and SkyerZobovor
 `* Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and SkyerIrrellius Spamticon
  `* Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and SkyerGustavo Wombat
   `- Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and SkyerIrrellius Spamticon

1
3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and Skyer

<dcd88470-a113-4fd0-bf3c-10ea094f02d3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6507&group=alt.toys.transformers#6507

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 19:53:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and Skyer
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 02:53 UTC

So these have been sitting in the display case at work long enough to have let me get my full employee discount, so I got both of them for $31 after sales tax. Besides, I needed that space to put a lot more transformers in.

Normally these come with Rager, Bumper, and Quaker but this guy only turned in 2

I guess I should mention who these guys are
Rager - Grimlock
Bumper - Slag
Quaker - Sludge
Thorner - Snarl
Skyer - Swoop
Not terribly hard to decipher when you know we're talking about Dinobots.

DX9 War in Pocket is their 4 inch line of figures, Skyer is about an inch taller than the Magic Square Skywarp, and Thorner is about halfway between the two, making Skyer the tallest here. DX9 released these guys in toy colors, then show color, and a 3rd set of Dark Dinobots in teal, purple and black.

Thorner has teal spikes, tail, and lower limbs, purple torso and boots, and black upper limbs (both robot and dino) with a black head, gray faceplate, with amber orange translucent eyes, chestplate, shoulders and dino shoulders. Hs boots have a light gray pattern of the folded up dino leg, but the dino leg is inside the boot. His transformation is a more detailed G1, without the chest compartment. His back has little blocks that are his dino underbelly, but they just hang off of his tail in robot mode. they're in the way all the time during transformation.

To transform him you fold his back panels onto the tail, so you can fold his back spikes out so you can fold the shoulder panels up and fold the head back into the torso, behind the amber chestplate. Rotate the waist while nothing is in the way, open the boots fro the backs of the knees, fold the dino head and then the dino forelimb out. Fold the back spikes forward over the head, close the tail slightly to allow the weird torso fold to happen. Then the underbelly blocks unfold and flip down under the tail, hopefully you can close the tail and massage it all together. His thighs rotate 180 and then his boots fold sideways around the crotch, and the boot flaps fold closed and the purple dinohead finishes the Snarl Stego mode.

It took me a while to get his transformation, because a previous owner couldn't figure out a waist rotation and swapped his legs instead so for awhile I thought I was dong something wrong.

He has a lot of articulation in all of his legs, from the hips to double knees to ankles, as well as an opening Dino mouth. He has no robot undercarriage. He's all tucked inside and it looks pretty great.

I didn't get his weapons, but Dinobot weapons are always annoying to me, because there's no place to put them in the mode they spend most of their time in.

Skyer has his missile pods, because they pop on to his wings. I would have actually missed those. Skyer has gray wings, boots, hands, face and beak, black thighs, shoulders, head, purple torso. The missile pods are silver with orange rocket tips. The shins and thighs also have an orange stripe on the front, reminiscent of Han Solo's side stripe, but not really. There are teal chest and boot details but that's it. The shoulders, neck, and elbows are ball joints, but the hips, wings, thighs, knees, and ankles are not, with double ankle joints. One of the wing pins was sliding out a little when I got him, but it got popped in and have had no issues.

The hard part to transformation here is pulling the crest piece out of the collar in front of the collar. It's just small and hard to get a hold of. Nest the boot back panels flip out, the feet fold inside the boots, fold the wings out, fold the dino beak on tot he robot face, slide the neck up pulling the backpack with it. The torso folds together, the shoulder folds in to the torso and the hand gauntlets turn into bird feet. The thighs rotate 180 and the boots fold over the thighs and the next hardest part is getting the boot flaps between the torso and wings to connect the boots to the backpack, but when you do it looks really good.

In dactyl mode he's got two wing joints, 2 neck joints, (up and down, no side to side) opening mouth, and ankle joints (robot elbows) but he looks really nice, though not as clean as Thorner because the robot arms are on the chest,

Overall these aren't as articulated as Magic Square, but these are also at least 5 years old, and for tiny but detailed G1characters I'd say they are really well done, A set of 5 with all the weapons is about $90 plus $10 shipping online. But then again I don't need all the Dinobots, I got me a Swoop.

So yeah, just come cool toys I got on Wednesday and have been wasting too much of my time with.

I accidentally broke Samurai Alternity Megatron's tail lights at work, so I might be getting him next.

Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and Skyer

<8746e6a8-08ef-4818-84d7-4851d1422becn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6512&group=alt.toys.transformers#6512

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:11:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 21:11 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 8:53:18 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> So these have been sitting in the display case at work long enough to have let me get my full employee discount, so I got both of them for $31 after sales tax. Besides, I needed that space to put a lot more transformers in.

I wasn't super familiar with these guys, so I had to do some research to see what you were talking about. Why are they teal and purple and black? Are they evil? Are these supposed to be Shattered Glass Dinobots or something?

Oh, wait. They're in Trypticon colors. Okay, I get it now.

> I accidentally broke Samurai Alternity Megatron's tail lights at work, so I might be getting him next.

You "accidentally" break something and then you get to buy it? I see right through your clever scheme.

Zob (is also not super familiar with Alternity, but it looks like Alternators 2.0 to me)

Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and Skyer

<ebb957e1-1d49-4180-847d-03361f3002d8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6514&group=alt.toys.transformers#6514

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 20:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 03:51 UTC

On Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 4:11:55 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 8:53:18 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
> > So these have been sitting in the display case at work long enough to have let me get my full employee discount, so I got both of them for $31 after sales tax. Besides, I needed that space to put a lot more transformers in.
> I wasn't super familiar with these guys, so I had to do some research to see what you were talking about. Why are they teal and purple and black? Are they evil? Are these supposed to be Shattered Glass Dinobots or something?
>
> Oh, wait. They're in Trypticon colors. Okay, I get it now.

They were good looking, very well built, and I didn't have to invest in a whole set.

> > I accidentally broke Samurai Alternity Megatron's tail lights at work, so I might be getting him next.
> You "accidentally" break something and then you get to buy it? I see right through your clever scheme.

I had it on my short "to buy" list when it came in, and then I accidentally broke it while cleaning it up (came from a smoker, so it spent 2 weeks in the descenter and then gets a wipe down if it still smells, 1 smelly toy can make everything inside the case smell) , and felt so guilty I put it in the case and left it there for a long time. I felt like I didn't deserve to buy it.

> Zob (is also not super familiar with Alternity, but it looks like Alternators 2.0 to me)

So they sacrifice the car interior for a much more detailed robot, but the transformation is the most complicated transformation I've seen in any Takara product. The tail lights have these triangular protrusions that I didn't even notice popped off while I was ratcheting parts around.

Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and Skyer

<tbijd0$jn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6518&group=alt.toys.transformers#6518

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 04:56:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 04:56 UTC

Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1kenoby@att.net> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 4:11:55 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
>> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 8:53:18 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>>
>>> So these have been sitting in the display case at work long enough to
>>> have let me get my full employee discount, so I got both of them for
>>> $31 after sales tax. Besides, I needed that space to put a lot more transformers in.
>> I wasn't super familiar with these guys, so I had to do some research to
>> see what you were talking about. Why are they teal and purple and black?
>> Are they evil? Are these supposed to be Shattered Glass Dinobots or something?
>>
>> Oh, wait. They're in Trypticon colors. Okay, I get it now.
>
> They were good looking, very well built, and I didn't have to invest in a whole set.

I just found them online at this sketchy looking place:

https://www.hjdgvdfds.tk/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=180393217&pr=42.88

According to the reviews, they are soft, and cozy.

They do look very cute.

>>> I accidentally broke Samurai Alternity Megatron's tail lights at work,
>>> so I might be getting him next.
>> You "accidentally" break something and then you get to buy it? I see
>> right through your clever scheme.
>>

> I had it on my short "to buy" list when it came in, and then I
> accidentally broke it while cleaning it up (came from a smoker, so it
> spent 2 weeks in the descenter and then gets a wipe down if it still
> smells, 1 smelly toy can make everything inside the case smell) , and
> felt so guilty I put it in the case and left it there for a long time. I
> felt like I didn't deserve to buy it.
>

>> Zob (is also not super familiar with Alternity, but it looks like Alternators 2.0 to me)
>
> So they sacrifice the car interior for a much more detailed robot, but
> the transformation is the most complicated transformation I've seen in
> any Takara product. The tail lights have these triangular protrusions
> that I didn't even notice popped off while I was ratcheting parts around.

I love my Alternity Megatron. He’s a weird ninja Megatron. I have the black
one — I assume he also came in silver. Super complex, but not frustrating,
fun puzzle.

Re: 3rd party DX9 War in Pocket Dark Thorner and Skyer

<547b151c-f576-454d-bdc9-cbd5012f6530n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6521&group=alt.toys.transformers#6521

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:14:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 00:14 UTC

On Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 11:56:02 PM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1k...@att.net> wrote:

> >> I wasn't super familiar with these guys, so I had to do some research to
> >> see what you were talking about. Why are they teal and purple and black?
> >> Are they evil? Are these supposed to be Shattered Glass Dinobots or something?
> >>
> >> Oh, wait. They're in Trypticon colors. Okay, I get it now.

Or G2 Ramjet colors.

> > They were good looking, very well built, and I didn't have to invest in a whole set.
> I just found them online at this sketchy looking place:
>
> https://www.hjdgvdfds.tk/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=180393217&pr=42.88
>
> According to the reviews, they are soft, and cozy.
>
> They do look very cute.

I don't know if I can believe that one size fits all. What If I chose 2XL? Would they be Leader scale?
The price is good, but I can't say I've seen a sketchier site.

> >> You "accidentally" break something and then you get to buy it? I see
> >> right through your clever scheme.
> >>

> > I had it on my short "to buy" list when it came in, and then I
> > accidentally broke it while cleaning it up (came from a smoker, so it
> > spent 2 weeks in the descenter and then gets a wipe down if it still
> > smells, 1 smelly toy can make everything inside the case smell) , and
> > felt so guilty I put it in the case and left it there for a long time. I
> > felt like I didn't deserve to buy it.
> >

> >> Zob (is also not super familiar with Alternity, but it looks like Alternators 2.0 to me)
> >
> > So they sacrifice the car interior for a much more detailed robot, but
> > the transformation is the most complicated transformation I've seen in
> > any Takara product. The tail lights have these triangular protrusions
> > that I didn't even notice popped off while I was ratcheting parts around.
> >
> I love my Alternity Megatron. He’s a weird ninja Megatron. I have the black
> one — I assume he also came in silver. Super complex, but not frustrating,
> fun puzzle.

Apparently there's a total of 4 Alternity molds they used to make 12 characters with 17 paintjobs.
The Bumblebee looks weird. I have him in the work display case but I'm just not interested in his squat beer belly.