"An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt." -- a saying at RPI

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone Universe" Twin Twist

SubjectAuthor
* Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone Universe" Twin TwistZobovor
`* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "DiacloneGustavo Wombat
 `- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone Universe" Twin TwistZobovor

1
Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone Universe" Twin Twist

<edff7fe3-c08d-4090-9575-303031252573n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6476&group=alt.toys.transformers#6476

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:31:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone Universe" Twin Twist
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 22:31 UTC

I'm honestly far less interested in completing the entire Wreck 'N Rule Collection knowing that the Wreckers hammer is just a piece of cardboard. But, I like the Diaclone color schemes they've been doing lately, so I couldn't not get this guy. Thanks to Travoltron for alerting me that Amazon was shipping these guys out earlier than expected.

He comes in a colorful box, not the plain brown packaging that they've been doing for a lot of the Hasbro Selects toys. I believe all the boxes can be stacked up to build a mural of Emirate Xaaron (his head is visible on this specific box).

The Jumpstarters owe their origins to the Diaclone toy line in Japan, in which they were sold as Baku-Ten (Backflip) Attack Robo. Topspin was the Jet Type which came in a blue/grey version and a dark blue/red, and Twin Twist was the Drill Tank Type, sold in either grey/blue or red/dark blue.

So, this is a redeco of the Titans Return toy from 2017. It's not often they go back quite so far into the past to bring us redeco toys! This version of him has a red torso with dark blue arms and legs and head, and a Wreckers-style Autobot symbol. His kneecaps and the panels on his shoulders are colored yellow with red parts, meant to evoke the stickers on the Diaclone toy (but it's an approximation, as close as they can get based on the way those parts are sculpted).

He's still a Headmaster, and his head still pops off for transformation, but the name of the character his head turns into is not provided. I suppose it's Diaclone Universe Flameout, if he needs a name. He's grey with red boots and indigo arms and head, and a silver-painted face.

Transformation still holds up really well. Titans Return was occasionally a cost-cutting toy line, and while the Jumpstarters were among the best toys from that series, I was worried Twin Twist might seem inferior in a post-Siege world. But, he's got plenty of locking tabs to hold everything together in vehicle form, and he doesn't feel cheap even when compared to modern toys from Legacy.

There's a certain irony that Hasbro has finally produced a Diaclone toy complete with a Diaclone pilot! The canopy glass is red this time. His guns are both made of red plastic, but painted almost entirely silver except for tabs and pegs.

I love that we're celebrating Diaclone color schemes now. It's fun. I would love a version of Topspin in wacky colors, too. Get on it, Hasbro.

Zob (needs a nap, but needed to write about new toys more)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone Universe" Twin Twist

<tbdoh2$1c0r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6502&group=alt.toys.transformers#6502

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone
Universe" Twin Twist
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:52:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:52 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm honestly far less interested in completing the entire Wreck 'N Rule
> Collection knowing that the Wreckers hammer is just a piece of cardboard.
> But, I like the Diaclone color schemes they've been doing lately, so I
> couldn't not get this guy. Thanks to Travoltron for alerting me that
> Amazon was shipping these guys out earlier than expected.

Got him and Springer today. When I opened Springer, I was disappointed it
wasn’t Bulkhead, so I guess we know which one I was really looking forward
to.

Springer is a lot less dull than you might think from the photos, by the
way. There’s a fair bit of paint a few shades darker than the plastic,
pulling out details. (Gray on the gray, green on the green)

> He comes in a colorful box, not the plain brown packaging that they've
> been doing for a lot of the Hasbro Selects toys. I believe all the boxes
> can be stacked up to build a mural of Emirate Xaaron (his head is visible
> on this specific box).

The boxes are already in the recycling, and I was feeling really proud of
myself, and then you taunt me.

> He's still a Headmaster, and his head still pops off for transformation,
> but the name of the character his head turns into is not provided. I
> suppose it's Diaclone Universe Flameout, if he needs a name. He's grey
> with red boots and indigo arms and head, and a silver-painted face.

We’re the Diaclone drivers named? I almost want to say that the vehicle is
unnamed.

> Transformation still holds up really well. Titans Return was
> occasionally a cost-cutting toy line, and while the Jumpstarters were
> among the best toys from that series, I was worried Twin Twist might seem
> inferior in a post-Siege world. But, he's got plenty of locking tabs to
> hold everything together in vehicle form, and he doesn't feel cheap even
> when compared to modern toys from Legacy.

They changed the plastic, and he feels a little cheap. I also have the
waist clamping on super-tight, and one forearm cover bent and loose because
it was assembled incorrectly. We will see if it springs back in shape.

Mostly very good, but not Siege level good. Legacy good.

> I love that we're celebrating Diaclone color schemes now. It's fun. I
> would love a version of Topspin in wacky colors, too. Get on it, Hasbro.

And we need 3rd Season Opening Springer.

> Zob (needs a nap, but needed to write about new toys more)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class "Diaclone Universe" Twin Twist

<a709c2fc-c448-46b4-a893-e2d9c7055271n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6511&group=alt.toys.transformers#6511

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 19:12 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 2:52:55 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Got him and Springer today. When I opened Springer, I was disappointed it
> wasn’t Bulkhead, so I guess we know which one I was really looking forward
> to.

I hope you get him soon, and that you are suitably happy with him.
> Springer is a lot less dull than you might think from the photos, by the
> way. There’s a fair bit of paint a few shades darker than the plastic,
> pulling out details. (Gray on the gray, green on the green)

I have him pre-ordered (through Hasbro Pulse, not through Amazon, so he hasn't shipped yet) and I'm debating whether I actually want him or not. I mean, Siege Springer seems superior in every way. Wreck 'N Rule Springer just... exists? I guess?

> Were the Diaclone drivers named? I almost want to say that the vehicle is
> unnamed.

I don't think the Diaclone drivers ever had names, no. I could be wrong.

> And we need 3rd Season Opening Springer.

Bouncer? I would have accepted Bouncer much more readily than Bland G1 Toy Colors Springer.

Zob (would also accept Springer in Perceptor colors)