Given sufficient time, what you put off doing today will get done by itself.

arts / alt.history.what-if / Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?

SubjectAuthor
* Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?WolfBear
`* Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?Chrysi Cat
 `* Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?WolfBear
  +- Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?pyotr filipivich
  `- Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?The Horny Goat

1
Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?

<005a0d9d-259c-4b54-a43c-04b9fe4c561cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6529&group=alt.history.what-if#6529

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:25 UTC

What would the effects be if Paul of Tarsus never actually converted to Christianity?

Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?

<T6iBI.798631$2A5.444788@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6530&group=alt.history.what-if#6530

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
From: chrysi...@gmail.com (Chrysi Cat)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 04:21:39 -0600
 by: Chrysi Cat - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:21 UTC

On 6/24/2021 4:25 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> What would the effects be if Paul of Tarsus never actually converted to Christianity?

I SUSPECT you just managed to kill the conversion from cult to religion
in its cradle.

Beyond that, I'm not totally sure where things go.

Obviously there's no Islam /to/ rise unless Mohammad was LITERALLY
carried to heaven (since he clearly based SOME of Islam off
Christianity, not just Judaism), and every major world religion other
than Judaism (and POSSIBLY Zoroastrianism?) ITTL is polytheistic.

That *could*, because their actual physical holy books tell people
significantly less incorrect information about the _structure_ of the
world, mean that there's an earlier scientific revolution...
....but because everything on earth would be considered to be in the
purview of one god or another, it could just as easily mean that even in
MMM Ab Urbe condita, there was _still_ no science or technology in the
form that we're familiar with it a bit less 300 years *before* that date.

I'll let someone else handle the somewhat-less-likely scenario that
Christianity could become any more than an obscure cult for Jews,
without Paul involved.

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger. [she/her. Misgender and die].

Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?

<f1d58122-ebd0-4b35-8ecf-4d1e7a4a3d6fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6531&group=alt.history.what-if#6531

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 17:08:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 00:08 UTC

On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 3:21:41 AM UTC-7, Chrysi Cat wrote:
> On 6/24/2021 4:25 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> > What would the effects be if Paul of Tarsus never actually converted to Christianity?
> >
> I SUSPECT you just managed to kill the conversion from cult to religion
> in its cradle.
>
> Beyond that, I'm not totally sure where things go.
>
> Obviously there's no Islam /to/ rise unless Mohammad was LITERALLY
> carried to heaven (since he clearly based SOME of Islam off
> Christianity, not just Judaism), and every major world religion other
> than Judaism (and POSSIBLY Zoroastrianism?) ITTL is polytheistic.
>
> That *could*, because their actual physical holy books tell people
> significantly less incorrect information about the _structure_ of the
> world, mean that there's an earlier scientific revolution...
> ...but because everything on earth would be considered to be in the
> purview of one god or another, it could just as easily mean that even in
> MMM Ab Urbe condita, there was _still_ no science or technology in the
> form that we're familiar with it a bit less 300 years *before* that date.
>

> I'll let someone else handle the somewhat-less-likely scenario that
> Christianity could become any more than an obscure cult for Jews,
> without Paul involved.

Did the Resurrection story predate Paul or not?

> --
> Chrysi Cat
> 1/2 anthrocat, nearly 1/2 anthrofox, all magical
> Transgoddess, quick to anger. [she/her. Misgender and die].
> Call me Chrysi or call me Kat, I'll respond to either!

Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?

<ffcedgh33tbfpqcjd2o0tbgvpcrfoqqf4b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6534&group=alt.history.what-if#6534

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 06:56:47 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 13:56 UTC

WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com> on Fri, 25 Jun 2021 17:08:33 -0700 (PDT)
typed in alt.history.what-if the following:
>On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 3:21:41 AM UTC-7, Chrysi Cat wrote:
>> On 6/24/2021 4:25 PM, WolfBear wrote:
>> > What would the effects be if Paul of Tarsus never actually converted to Christianity?
>> >
>> I SUSPECT you just managed to kill the conversion from cult to religion
>> in its cradle.
>>
>> Beyond that, I'm not totally sure where things go.
>>
>> Obviously there's no Islam /to/ rise unless Mohammad was LITERALLY
>> carried to heaven (since he clearly based SOME of Islam off
>> Christianity, not just Judaism), and every major world religion other
>> than Judaism (and POSSIBLY Zoroastrianism?) ITTL is polytheistic.
>>
>> That *could*, because their actual physical holy books tell people
>> significantly less incorrect information about the _structure_ of the
>> world, mean that there's an earlier scientific revolution...
>> ...but because everything on earth would be considered to be in the
>> purview of one god or another, it could just as easily mean that even in
>> MMM Ab Urbe condita, there was _still_ no science or technology in the
>> form that we're familiar with it a bit less 300 years *before* that date.
>>

>> I'll let someone else handle the somewhat-less-likely scenario that
>> Christianity could become any more than an obscure cult for Jews,
>> without Paul involved.
>>

>Did the Resurrection story predate Paul or not?

Yes, it did predate Paul.
--
pyotr filipivich
"History rarely repeats herself" is the cliche. In reality she just

Re: Paul of Tarsus does not convert to Christianity?

<6giedglfssrtics7h5v76tbksja8qggn0e@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6536&group=alt.history.what-if#6536

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 08:40:35 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 15:40 UTC

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 17:08:33 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Did the Resurrection story predate Paul or not?

That would depend on the dating of the Gospel of Mark believed to be
the first of the gospels. He was said to be a student of St Luke who
was not one of the original 12 in most versions so that suggests the
answer to your question was no though I see no evidence that the story
of the resurrection was Pauline in origin.