Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 18:04:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Does anyone here know why exactly Mexican Emperor Maximilian never
had any children?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 01:04 UTC

Does anyone here know why exactly Mexican Emperor Maximilian never had any children? Was it he who was infertile or his wife? Or both of them?

Also, what would have been the odds of him eventually siring any children had he been sentenced to perpetual exile as opposed to executed--or, alternatively, managed to escape from Mexico before his execution? I suspect pretty low since his wife died in 1927 (when he would have been well in his 90s) and since divorce was frowned upon among Austro-Hungarian royalty back then, no? And Maximilian and his wife Charlotte (Carlota) were married for something like ten years at the time of Maximilian's execution, so it's not like they didn't have a lot of time to try making babies.

Re: Does anyone here know why exactly Mexican Emperor Maximilian never had any children?

<aa236c7b-e714-48eb-a44c-c37dbec336b0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6540&group=alt.history.what-if#6540

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 18:07:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Does anyone here know why exactly Mexican Emperor Maximilian
never had any children?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 01:07 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 6:04:44 PM UTC-7, WolfBear wrote:
> Does anyone here know why exactly Mexican Emperor Maximilian never had any children? Was it he who was infertile or his wife? Or both of them?
>
> Also, what would have been the odds of him eventually siring any children had he been sentenced to perpetual exile as opposed to executed--or, alternatively, managed to escape from Mexico before his execution? I suspect pretty low since his wife died in 1927 (when he would have been well in his 90s) and since divorce was frowned upon among Austro-Hungarian royalty back then, no? And Maximilian and his wife Charlotte (Carlota) were married for something like ten years at the time of Maximilian's execution, so it's not like they didn't have a lot of time to try making babies.

This question is relevant because if Maximilian lives but still fails to have any children, and Austro-Hungarian Crown Prince Rudolf still produces a daughter instead of a son in or around 1883 before committing suicide himself, then Franz Ferdinand would still become the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne in the long(er)-run either way, assuming that he actually lives long enough. Though I do wonder if Austria-Hungary's response in 1914 would have been different had Franz Ferdinand still been assassinated during this time (a HUGE if, given that the PoD is a whopping 47 years earlier) and had Maximilian still been alive during this time (he would have only been 83-84 during this time, and his brother Franz Joseph lived to age 86, so having Maximilian still be alive in the middle of 1914 is very plausible). Thoughts?