I hope you're not pretending to be evil while secretly being good. That would be dishonest.

arts / alt.fan.heinlein / Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"

SubjectAuthor
o Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"a425couple

1
Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"

<5z7iK.4212$3Gzd.2017@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=655&group=alt.fan.heinlein#655

Subject: Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:29:12 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 21 May 2022 15:29 UTC

On 5/20/2022 3:19 PM, R Kym Horsell wrote:
> In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/19/2022 8:31 AM, MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Apropos all the buzz about growing acceptance UAP are real and seem to
>>> be increasing, -------------
>>>
>>> Maybe the Aliens Really Are Here
>>> Scientific American, 21 June 2021
>>> But if so, it's probably in the form of robotic probes-something both UFO
>>> enthusiasts and SETI scientists should be able to agree on.
>>
>> Yeah, interesting.
>> Two thoughts come to mind.
>> #1 from Arthur Clark's
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountains_of_Paradise
>> "In the middle of The Fountains of Paradise, an unmanned robotic
>> spaceship of alien origin, called "Starglider" (from an origin
>> world dubbed "Starholme") by Clarke, passes through the Solar
>> system. This situation is similar to Rendezvous with Rama,
>> though the ship exterior and its interactions with humans are
>> very different."
>> IMHO, very worth reading (I will give specific page numbers
>> if you indicate interest.)
>>
>> #2 in John Varley's 'eight worlds novels',
>> humans have been swept off earth, by a force so
>> superior that they hardly even notice us.
>
> I remember a short story where people wake up one day and there's
> a miles high waterfall in the middle of the Pacific and noone knows
> who built it or what it is for. They realize someone else had been
> quietly beavering along in the background and there was little hope to
> understand much about them now.
>
> But that was probably from the 1950s when SF authors didnt know much
> about data science and big data. :)

see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish_Bowl

"Goldfish Bowl" is a science fiction short story by American
author Robert A. Heinlein, first published in Astounding Science
Fiction in March 1942, and collected in one of Heinlein's
anthologies, The Menace from Earth.

Read the Plot Summary.

I guess, just because 'something' is out there,
does not mean we can really communicate and
'do deals' with it.