From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.hollywood,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: TV/Film Award Ceremony To Honor "Acting Without Reference To Gender". Here's What They Will Now Be Called
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 15:44:22 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 19:44 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> The Indie film Spirit Awards has announced it will follow other awards
>>> shows and start honoring "acting without reference" to gender in its
>>> upcoming ceremony being held in March 2023.
>>>
>>> In a press release from Film Independent's Spirit Awards, the organization
>>> said it would no longer use categories like "best actor" and "best actress"
>>> to celebrate stars in TV and movies in lead and supporting roles, according
>>> to a recent statement posted on the group's website.
>>
>> So that's one less award in each category and makes the competition even
>> more cutthroat to be the one actor that gets recognized.
>
>That's exactly what I was thinking. And of course the fish mandates that
>the first award Hass to go to a black. So basically they're just now the
>BET awards.

Sans the drive-by shootings, I hope.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: TV/Film Award Ceremony To Honor "Acting Without Reference To Gender". Here's What They Will Now Be Called

<te8leq$3npv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6579&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6579

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.hollywood,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: TV/Film Award Ceremony To Honor "Acting Without Reference To
Gender". Here's What They Will Now Be Called
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 16:18:23 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 20:18 UTC

On 2022-08-25 3:44 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> So that's one less award in each category and makes the competition even
>>> more cutthroat to be the one actor that gets recognized.

They could have gone the other way and created new categories for Best
Bisexual Actor, Best Pansexual Actor, Best Two-Spirit Actor, Best
Questioning Actor, etc. etc. etc. That would have gotten ridiculous
pretty much immediately as there would be all kinds of controversy over
exactly how all the categories were defined and then more controversy
over who belonged in each category. Then there would have been
embarrassment as many categories wouldn't have had any competitors!
Choosing to have only a single category - presumably Best Performer -
will avoid all the nonsense of having a gazillion categories.

I can hardly wait until they use the same approach to sports! Just
imagine, an Olympics with only one running event that combines
everything from 100 metre dash to whatever the longest marathon that
they run! I'm not sure what distance they'll run though. Maybe a
distance will be chosen at random via a random number generator just
before the start of the race? If the race is longish, the sprinters will
fall off very early while the distance runners will do relatively better
but if the race is short, only the sprinters will really have a chance.

The big challenge will be getting all the runners onto the same track,
especially considering that all men, women, and tranny's will be in the
same race at the same time. It's going to get CONGESTED on the ol'
starting line!

>> That's exactly what I was thinking. And of course the fish mandates that
>> the first award Hass to go to a black. So basically they're just now the
>> BET awards.
>
> Sans the drive-by shootings, I hope.

--
Rhino

Re: TV/Film Award Ceremony To Honor "Acting Without Reference To Gender". Here's What They Will Now Be Called

<te90ld$3ooq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6580&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6580

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.hollywood,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Gender". Here's What They Will Now Be Called
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 19:29:40 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 23:29 UTC

On 2022-08-25 3:44 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> So that's one less award in each category and makes the competition even
>>> more cutthroat to be the one actor that gets recognized.
>>
>> That's exactly what I was thinking. And of course the fish mandates that
>> the first award Hass to go to a black. So basically they're just now the
>> BET awards.
>
> Sans the drive-by shootings, I hope.

It looks like the Canadian Screen Awards are going the same way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/csa-gender-neutral-performance-1.6561219

--
Rhino