From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 13:04:30 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:04 UTC

Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !
https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/02/01

I am with Arlo. The Johnny Cab in the first Total Recall movie, the
good one, turned me off self driving cars forever.

Lynn

Re: Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !

<stjo0d$t7l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6603&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6603

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Re: Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 12:33:06 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 17:33 UTC

On 2/1/2022 14:04, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !
> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/02/01
>
> I am with Arlo. The Johnny Cab in the first Total Recall movie, the good
> one, turned me off self driving cars forever.
>
> Lynn

Yes, I agree with the first comment also. I like my land line; no
caller ID. I pick up the old Bell set, and just dial the number. I'm
the only person that I know who still knows almost everyone's number.

Re: Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !

<stmqbo$ln2$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6607&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6607

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 16:31:44 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 21:31 UTC

On 2/5/2022 12:09, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2022 12:33:06 -0500, Michael Trew
> <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/1/2022 14:04, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !
>>> https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2022/02/01
>>>
>>> I am with Arlo. The Johnny Cab in the first Total Recall movie, the good
>>> one, turned me off self driving cars forever.
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> Yes, I agree with the first comment also. I like my land line; no
>> caller ID. I pick up the old Bell set, and just dial the number. I'm
>> the only person that I know who still knows almost everyone's number.
>
> When the installers came for my forced [1] upgrade to optic fiber (not
> an entirely unreasonable characterization, as rental movie downloads
> are noticeably faster and large WiFi transfers are at least
> occasionally temporarily reaching much higher speeds than before), the
> installers, after some discussion, decided to /not/ upgrade the
> telephone, as there was no really practical way to do it [2].
>
> They pointed out that, by keeping a copper land line, I had a phone
> that would work even when the power went out. Everything optic
> fibre-related, apparently, relies on boxes that rely on the
> electricity staying on.
>
> [1] To be fair, I received an email from my ISP last fall but couldn't
> figure it out and decided to wait and see what happened. Well, what
> happened is that they turned off DSL about 1/3 the way through Season
> 5 Ep 14 of Perry Mason -- which was rude. And then failed to call back
> as promised about installing optic fiber. So I changed ISPs as well.
>
> [2] The entry-point was examined, but the closest power was some ways
> away, and the equpment would have needed an especially long optic
> fiber cable because it would have had to be set up near the power
> outlets. I think the very age of the house defeated them; the wired
> telephone stuff had probably been installed when the house was new
> (about 100 years ago) or whenever the telephone was first available in
> this area.
>
> And they had already installed the Internet stuff in the TV Table in
> the front room, which had a convenient surge protector available, and
> so had, in a very real sense, done their job.

I'm not sure where you are, but in Ohio, I still have the slow old DSL
and copper phone line. No fiber optics available here. Comcast cable
is a faster option, but I prefer to pay half of that price to AT&T for
slow DSL and a traditional phone.

Re: Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !

<stss5s$lie$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6621&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6621

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 23:39:27 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 04:39 UTC

On 2/6/2022 11:52, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2022 16:31:44 -0500, Michael Trew
> <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/5/2022 12:09, Paul S Person wrote:

>>> When the installers came for my forced [1] upgrade to optic fiber (not
>>> an entirely unreasonable characterization, as rental movie downloads
>>> are noticeably faster and large WiFi transfers are at least
>>> occasionally temporarily reaching much higher speeds than before), the
>>> installers, after some discussion, decided to /not/ upgrade the
>>> telephone, as there was no really practical way to do it [2].
>>>
>>> They pointed out that, by keeping a copper land line, I had a phone
>>> that would work even when the power went out. Everything optic
>>> fibre-related, apparently, relies on boxes that rely on the
>>> electricity staying on.
>>>
>>> [1] To be fair, I received an email from my ISP last fall but couldn't
>>> figure it out and decided to wait and see what happened. Well, what
>>> happened is that they turned off DSL about 1/3 the way through Season
>>> 5 Ep 14 of Perry Mason -- which was rude. And then failed to call back
>>> as promised about installing optic fiber. So I changed ISPs as well.
>>>
>>> [2] The entry-point was examined, but the closest power was some ways
>>> away, and the equpment would have needed an especially long optic
>>> fiber cable because it would have had to be set up near the power
>>> outlets. I think the very age of the house defeated them; the wired
>>> telephone stuff had probably been installed when the house was new
>>> (about 100 years ago) or whenever the telephone was first available in
>>> this area.
>>>
>>> And they had already installed the Internet stuff in the TV Table in
>>> the front room, which had a convenient surge protector available, and
>>> so had, in a very real sense, done their job.
>>
>> I'm not sure where you are, but in Ohio, I still have the slow old DSL
>> and copper phone line. No fiber optics available here. Comcast cable
>> is a faster option, but I prefer to pay half of that price to AT&T for
>> slow DSL and a traditional phone.
>
> Which I had until my former ISP (now a provider of email only, well,
> once they get the account straightened out, anyway, maybe) decided to
> drop DSL (at least in my area).
>
> I had earlier seen devices in a local store for 5G home networking
> but, with /no Internet/ and that store being temporarilyc closed [1],
> I was somewhat limited in my choices.
>
> Had I been paying closer attention, I might have solved the problem
> more smoothly. A lot of the turmoil is my own fault. But not all of
> it. The ISP bears responsibility also.
>
> [1] It has been torn down and is being replaced with an "apartments
> plus streetside retail" building. The business claimed it would be one
> of those streetside retail stores, so, in a couple more years, it may
> be available again.

Many companies are dropping DSL, I've heard. AT&T is doing that also in
many areas. I've also heard that companies that use AT&T's equipment
(resellers) have been forced off of their equipment. They call it
"progress"... maybe so. I'll probably be a hold-out until they pull the
plug.

Re: Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !

<su3m1v$k81$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6643&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6643

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:37:56 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:37 UTC

On 2/8/2022 12:19, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2022 23:39:27 -0500, Michael Trew
> <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Many companies are dropping DSL, I've heard. AT&T is doing that also in
>> many areas. I've also heard that companies that use AT&T's equipment
>> (resellers) have been forced off of their equipment. They call it
>> "progress"... maybe so. I'll probably be a hold-out until they pull the
>> plug.
>
> I was hoping the new ISP still had it, but it didn't. 5G apparently is
> the domain of the smartphone companies, but I have seen ads now that I
> am back online for what looks like the sort of Internet access an ISP
> provides.
>
> If they do warn you they are going to pull the plug, I recommend
> taking definite steps: examine the alternatives and convert /before/
> you find yourself with no internet for a week or more. Keep in mind
> that, if they are doing it to you, they are doing it to others and
> that can be expected to produce a rush on new installations of other
> options. And, of course, there is always staffing issues in a pandemic
> and supply chain issues involving the new equipment.
>
> There is nothing wrong with DSL -- as long as you are mostly
> interested in downloading (ie, /not/ running a web site on it) and
> aren't into streaming HD videos. SD from Amazon streamed well and,
> with a little pre-planning, downloading the rental prevented any
> network congestion problems. I would be happy using it to this day and
> into the future, had things worked out that way. Still, fiber optic
> Internet does work, once you get past any teething troubles.
> Networking is a /very/ complicated topic.
>
> Our State is apparently going to use some of that infrastructure money
> that will be passing the Senate Any Day Now to provide High-Speed
> Internet to the rural areas. I can only hope they will have enough
> sense to encourage the 5G coverage to expand and use it instead of
> stringing optic fiber everywhere (assuming it actually works for the
> Internet). But I suppose we must all be re-wired before the wires can
> be cut.

They only offer up to 3 mb/s DSL here; it's enough to stream YouTube or
some streaming source on one device at a time. Certainly not for HD,
and big downloads are a pain. Basic browsing is OK.

I did get a flier in the mail recently from Verizon advertising 5G at
home fixed internet. I don't want satellite (I get fliers from
Hughesnet also). I'll have to start looking into these alternatives
before the time comes. Comcast has cable internet here, but it's more
than I care to pay if I can help it.

Re: Arlo and Janis: Stupid Phone !

<su9qit$2ef$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6672&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6672

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 21:32:06 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 02:32 UTC

On 2/11/2022 12:11, Paul S Person wrote:
> [...]
> like "up to 840 mb/s", which is a lot more than 10 mb/s.
>
> My 10 mb/s optic fiber with my prior ISP would have run the same as my
> DSL did -- about $50 -- plus $10/mo for equipment rental. The new ISP
> bundles landline phone and Internet for $80/mo, and this seems to be
> comparable to the former land-line cost plus $50. Of course, the devil
> is in the details, and I will need to get the next bill before I can
> see the details.
>
> There is also the matter of email. I wandered into a pattern of
> multiple emails, so I am happy to be able to keep them all for
> $4.95/mo. But whether your DSL ISP has this option is something you
> might want to look into. Keeping the old emails can avoid a lot of
> bother. Even keeping them for a few months while changing over to a
> new set can be helpful. Or not, as the case may be for you.

Thanks! Fortunately, AT&T hosts their e-mail with Yahoo now, and the
e-mail service is provided for free through Yahoo even if I shut down my
DSL account.

No fiber optic internet here. I don't have Verizon cellular either, but
if there isn't a strict data cap, I will look into their home service if
the price is reasonable.