The man who runs may fight again. -- Menander

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: ELVIS

SubjectAuthor
* ELVISBill Anderson
+- Re: ELVISYour Name
+* Re: ELVISwilliam ahearn
|+- Re: ELVISLynn McGuire
|`* Re: ELVIStrotsky
| `- Re: ELVIStrotsky
`- Re: ELVISMummyChunk

1
ELVIS

<nbmdnQj9Yq7kfED_nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6523&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6523

Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 19:19:03 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: billande...@yahoo.com (Bill Anderson)
Subject: ELVIS
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 00:19 UTC

I was dazzled.

Considering how much I knew or thought I knew about Elvis Presley, I
wasn't surprised so much by the facts of the story -- I just wasn't
expecting to be swept up by a force of nature, hadn't considered the
possibility I'd begin to understand and appreciate the fervent fandom
that still surrounds him. But this movie made it all clear.

I've never been an Elvis fan myself. Sure, growing up here in Memphis I
became aware of him as soon as he began appearing on TV when I was a kid
about 8-9 years old, bought the Graceland mansion, and moved into our
Whitehaven neighborhood. I knew he was a big star; everybody knew that.
Yeah, I'd see him around town as I was growing up, but by the time I was
a teen he was making the stupid Elvis movies and I liked the Beatles and
you know, come to think of it I've never owned an actual Elvis record.

Doesn't mean I don't admire him though. In recent years before I stopped
touring Graceland with visiting relatives (I just drop them off now and
tell them to call when they're ready to escape) I always looked forward
to walking into his old handball court to see the thousands of
glistening gold records adorning the walls as high as I could crane my
neck. This guy did all that? Impressive. According to notes at the end
of the movie Elvis still holds the record for most recordings sold by a
single artist.

Before seeing the movie I'd heard the Baz Luhrmann touch was way over
the top, distracting, off-putting. Nothing could be further from the
truth for me. I sat there (on the front row because of a poor
ticket-buying decision) reclined back in one of those modern theater
La-Z-Boys with cupholders, grinning from ear to ear, letting it wash all
over me. It was an immersive experience and I was transported back to
the Memphis of my childhood. There's Beale Street when it still had
pawn shops, that segregationist senator is appearing at the Overton Park
Shell, that was Baptist Hospital before they imploded it, and look!
Russwood Park baseball field before the wooden stands burned in a
conflagration the city has never forgotten. And how did they recreate
the Lauderdale Courts housing project so perfectly? Was it CGI? Nope, I
just Googled and apparently they rebuilt in Australia along with that
perfect recreation of Graceland. The article I found explained that
covid prevented filming here -- and besides, they got a tax break in
Australia.

I can't overemphasize how much I admire the performance of Austin Butler
as Elvis. This young man I'd never heard of assimilated the persona of
Elvis Presley like a pod creature in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I'm
a 75-year-old straight man and now I think I understand what all those
screaming girls saw in Elvis Presley. I so hope Butler's not a one-shot
wonder. I so hope he can find other parts in which he can excel like
this. From the highs to the lows it is an incandescent performance all
the way.

And Tom Hanks turns in yet another brilliant performance as Presley's
lifelong manager Col. Tom Parker. I think I'm supposed to think of the
Colonel as the villain of the movie, but no, I don't. He was a promoter
who immediately sensed opportunity in the 50s, latched onto a star, and
milked Elvis for everything he was worth for decades. Good for him. He
made Elvis Elvis and we'd all be poorer without his contributions. Of
course a lesser Elvis might still be alive today, but we'll never know
about that.

Baz Luhrmann has made a terrific movie, a brilliant study of an
unparalleled chapter of pop culture. See it in a theater. Sit on the
front row. Really.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: ELVIS

<tbkq2k$214$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6524&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6524

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: ELVIS
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:02:12 +1200
 by: Your Name - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 01:02 UTC

On 2022-07-25 00:19:03 +0000, Bill Anderson said:

> I was dazzled.
>
> Considering how much I knew or thought I knew about Elvis Presley, I
> wasn't surprised so much by the facts of the story -- I just wasn't
> expecting to be swept up by a force of nature, hadn't considered the
> possibility I'd begin to understand and appreciate the fervent fandom
> that still surrounds him. But this movie made it all clear.
<snip>

As with any dramatisation, a lot of it has been fictionalised to
purposely make it more dramatic and interesting as a movie.

Re: ELVIS

<4f50680a-29b5-437d-9520-16f85b0305ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6587&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6587

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 20:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 03:07 UTC

On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 8:19:12 PM UTC-4, Bill Anderson wrote:
> I was dazzled.
>
> Considering how much I knew or thought I knew about Elvis Presley, I
> wasn't surprised so much by the facts of the story -- I just wasn't
> expecting to be swept up by a force of nature, hadn't considered the
> possibility I'd begin to understand and appreciate the fervent fandom
> that still surrounds him. But this movie made it all clear.

Funny how it uses the myths to demystify Presley. I hate the director and the opening credits seemed more about Liberace than Presley and I figured I'd last my proverbial 15 minutes. How wrong was I. Effing good film and, yeah, Tom Hanks.

Re: ELVIS

<tem1pu$1iv7d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6588&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6588

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:09:02 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:09 UTC

On 8/29/2022 10:07 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 8:19:12 PM UTC-4, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> I was dazzled.
>>
>> Considering how much I knew or thought I knew about Elvis Presley, I
>> wasn't surprised so much by the facts of the story -- I just wasn't
>> expecting to be swept up by a force of nature, hadn't considered the
>> possibility I'd begin to understand and appreciate the fervent fandom
>> that still surrounds him. But this movie made it all clear.
>>

> Funny how it uses the myths to demystify Presley. I hate the director and the opening credits seemed more about Liberace than Presley and I figured I'd last my proverbial 15 minutes. How wrong was I. Effing good film and, yeah, Tom Hanks.

Using The Colonel (Tom Hanks) as the narrator was a good idea. He made
the movie flow well.

Lynn

Re: ELVIS

<tf4s82$155b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6599&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6599

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 08:06:07 -0500
 by: trotsky - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:06 UTC

On 8/29/2022 10:07 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 8:19:12 PM UTC-4, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> I was dazzled.
>>
>> Considering how much I knew or thought I knew about Elvis Presley, I
>> wasn't surprised so much by the facts of the story -- I just wasn't
>> expecting to be swept up by a force of nature, hadn't considered the
>> possibility I'd begin to understand and appreciate the fervent fandom
>> that still surrounds him. But this movie made it all clear.
>>

> Funny how it uses the myths to demystify Presley. I hate the director and the opening credits seemed more about Liberace than Presley and I figured I'd last my proverbial 15 minutes. How wrong was I. Effing good film and, yeah, Tom Hanks.

Well, I saw a commercial saying it was on HBO Max, which I was just
about to cancel because I almost never watch it, and then ahearn said
it's good. I don't trust him that much, but enough to push me into
giving the movie a shot. Thanks weasel!

Re: ELVIS

<tfkkqf$1p75$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6612&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6612

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 07:37:34 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 12:37 UTC

On 9/5/2022 8:06 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 8/29/2022 10:07 PM, william ahearn wrote:
>> On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 8:19:12 PM UTC-4, Bill Anderson wrote:
>>> I was dazzled.
>>>
>>> Considering how much I knew or thought I knew about Elvis Presley, I
>>> wasn't surprised so much by the facts of the story -- I just wasn't
>>> expecting to be swept up by a force of nature, hadn't considered the
>>> possibility I'd begin to understand and appreciate the fervent fandom
>>> that still surrounds him. But this movie made it all clear.
>>>

>> Funny how it uses the myths to demystify Presley. I hate the director
>> and the opening credits seemed more about Liberace than Presley and I
>> figured I'd last my proverbial 15 minutes. How wrong was I. Effing
>> good film and, yeah, Tom Hanks.
>

> Well, I saw a commercial saying it was on HBO Max, which I was just
> about to cancel because I almost never watch it, and then ahearn said
> it's good.  I don't trust him that much, but enough to push me into
> giving the movie a shot.  Thanks weasel!

Postscript: "Elvis" was even better than I expected. Oscar caliber.
Probably the best edited movie I've ever seen, and then there's ever
other factor.

Re: ELVIS

<fJWdndKCfZySNRf-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6767&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6767

From: mummycul...@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 01:36:15 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 01:36 UTC

> [...]

Presley's
> lifelong manager Col. Tom Parker. I think I'm supposed to think of
the
> Colonel as the villain of the movie, but no, I don't. He was a
promoter
> who immediately sensed opportunity in the 50s, latched onto a star,
and
> milked Elvis for everything he was worth for decades. Good for him.
He
> made Elvis Elvis and we'd all be poorer without his contributions.
Of
> course a lesser Elvis might still be alive today, but we'll never
know
> about that.
>
> Baz Luhrmann has made a terrific movie, a brilliant study of an
> unparalleled chapter of pop culture. See it in a theater. Sit on

One of my friends who saw Elvis
constantly in Vegas during the 70's said they found the movie to be a
bit too jumbled and confusing.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=633585122#633585122