Beware of a tall black man with one blond shoe.

arts / rec.arts.comics.strips / Re: Curtis reruns explained

SubjectAuthor
* Curtis reruns explainedjdelac...@gmail.com
`* Re: Curtis reruns explainedDarryl H
 `- Re: Curtis reruns explainedDarryl H

1
Curtis reruns explained

<180facf7-facc-4f36-bb8a-06ec1f95eaaan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6610&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6610

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 07:32:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Curtis reruns explained
From: jdelachj...@gmail.com (jdelac...@gmail.com)
 by: jdelac...@gmail.com - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:32 UTC

So with my curiosity as to why Curtis reruns have been issued with the 2022 copyright date instead of the year it originally ran, I messaged Ray Billingsley on Facebook and got an interesting response:

"James, the copyright question I can’t answer. The people at the syndicate do all that. A reprint happens when I either took a personal day off (and missed deadline) order I submitted something they didn’t want to print so I refused or didn’t have the time to draw a replacement. The way society has evolved they worry about people getting insulted or whatever. I think the audience is grown up enough for discussion. And this is the only way to see classic work since mainstream publishing won’t touch any Black work with regularity."

So with that, it explained why until recently when Reed Brennan (affiliated with King Features) would issue advance notice about Curtis reruns it was always "Due to unforeseen circumstances, a reprint has been issued for the CURTIS Sunday strip for release...". Reed Brennan of course did not issue advance notice for the 1/16 and 2/6 Sunday reruns probably because King Features would apparently rather print them with the current year than issue a notice about why they went with rerun strips.

In the future, I should probably start a special Curtis database to better spot out reruns than go through newspapers.com like I already do with Family Circus.

Re: Curtis reruns explained

<d6549b26-1982-4a5c-bc10-030e630d33ecn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6626&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6626

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 04:49:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Curtis reruns explained
From: heinedar...@gmail.com (Darryl H)
 by: Darryl H - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 12:49 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 9:32:47 AM UTC-6, jdelac...@gmail.com wrote:
> So with my curiosity as to why Curtis reruns have been issued with the 2022 copyright date instead of the year it originally ran, I messaged Ray Billingsley on Facebook and got an interesting response:
>
> "James, the copyright question I can’t answer. The people at the syndicate do all that. A reprint happens when I either took a personal day off (and missed deadline) order I submitted something they didn’t want to print so I refused or didn’t have the time to draw a replacement. The way society has evolved they worry about people getting insulted or whatever. I think the audience is grown up enough for discussion. And this is the only way to see classic work since mainstream publishing won’t touch any Black work with regularity."
>
> So with that, it explained why until recently when Reed Brennan (affiliated with King Features) would issue advance notice about Curtis reruns it was always "Due to unforeseen circumstances, a reprint has been issued for the CURTIS Sunday strip for release...". Reed Brennan of course did not issue advance notice for the 1/16 and 2/6 Sunday reruns probably because King Features would apparently rather print them with the current year than issue a notice about why they went with rerun strips.
>
> In the future, I should probably start a special Curtis database to better spot out reruns than go through newspapers.com like I already do with Family Circus.

Aren't some King Features 100% reruns distributed to newspapers like Crock, Redeye, Popeye, Flash Gordon, and Moose and Molly with current copyright date?

Re: Curtis reruns explained

<0613f17a-ca7c-4026-92bc-28955bb96074n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6631&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6631

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:55:36 -0800 (PST)
From: heinedar...@gmail.com (Darryl H)
 by: Darryl H - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:55 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 8:18:39 AM UTC-6, jdelac...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Aren't some King Features 100% reruns distributed to newspapers like Crock, Redeye, Popeye, Flash Gordon, and Moose and Molly with current copyright date?
> I don't think any of those you mentioned are still considered "active". Even Tiger, which you didn't mention, still produces reruns with the current year listed (even though Bud Blake is long gone).
>
> Meanwhile they allow Zits and Mutts to go into reruns with the original copyright rather than the current one. Bizarre.

Even when the Tribune Content Agency owned Gasoline Alley went into reruns late 2017 to mid 2018 and again in mid 2020 it used the current year copyright instead of the original year.