The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)

SubjectAuthor
* MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)moviePig
+- Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)Ubiquitous
+* Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)Lynn McGuire
|`- Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)moviePig
`* Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)Bill Anderson
 `- Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)moviePig

1
MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)

<YBW%K.518458$6Il8.487269@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6650&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6650

From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Subject: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:21:42 -0400
 by: moviePig - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 14:21 UTC

When a reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland) hires a boy to read
aloud to him, an eerie bond is formed. Netflix's MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE
is adapted from a Stephen King short story, and its attentive
craftsmanship nicely captures King's traditional ambiance. (N.B.: This
viewer also considers CUJO and DREAMCATCHER to be standouts among King
adaptations.) Recommended.

Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)

<yp-dnQHsTJLhXt3-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6652&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6652

Followup: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Followup-to: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 20:25:27 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 00:25 UTC

pwallace@moviepig.com wrote:

>When a reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland) hires a boy to read
>aloud to him, an eerie bond is formed. Netflix's MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE
>is adapted from a Stephen King short story, and its attentive
>craftsmanship nicely captures King's traditional ambiance. (N.B.: This
>viewer also considers CUJO and DREAMCATCHER to be standouts among King
>adaptations.) Recommended.

OK, who is forging postings from moviepig?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)

<tht6ps$gs0$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6653&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6653

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 20:06:02 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 01:06 UTC

On 10/7/2022 9:21 AM, moviePig wrote:

> When a reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland) hires a boy to read
> aloud to him, an eerie bond is formed.  Netflix's MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE
> is adapted from a Stephen King short story, and its attentive
> craftsmanship nicely captures King's traditional ambiance.  (N.B.: This
> viewer also considers CUJO and DREAMCATCHER to be standouts among King
> adaptations.)  Recommended.

Great until the ending which was a little weak. Donald Sutherland put
in a masterful work.

Lynn

Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)

<qHqdnXWlw_lZs9_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6654&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6654

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 02:15:32 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 02:15 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> When a reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland) hires a boy to read
> aloud to him, an eerie bond is formed. Netflix's MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE
> is adapted from a Stephen King short story, and its attentive
> craftsmanship nicely captures King's traditional ambiance. (N.B.: This
> viewer also considers CUJO and DREAMCATCHER to be standouts among King
> adaptations.) Recommended.

To me, it seemed there should’ve been more to it. It seemed there were
story opportunities that were not taken, connections that could’ve been
made, potential developments that never went anywhere. It might be an
interesting short story, but stretched out into a movie. It just did not
work for me.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)

<w4r0L.520767$6Il8.86242@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6656&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6656

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 23:18:49 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 03:18 UTC

On 10/8/2022 9:06 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 10/7/2022 9:21 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> When a reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland) hires a boy to read
>> aloud to him, an eerie bond is formed.  Netflix's MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE
>> is adapted from a Stephen King short story, and its attentive
>> craftsmanship nicely captures King's traditional ambiance.  (N.B.:
>> This viewer also considers CUJO and DREAMCATCHER to be standouts among
>> King adaptations.)  Recommended.
>
> Great until the ending which was a little weak.  Donald Sutherland put
> in a masterful work.

Well, endings are indeed not Stephen King's forte, imnsho.

Re: MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE (no spoilers)

<Tnr0L.383527$wLZ8.360095@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6657&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6657

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 23:39:28 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 03:39 UTC

On 10/8/2022 10:15 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>>
>> When a reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland) hires a boy to read
>> aloud to him, an eerie bond is formed. Netflix's MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE
>> is adapted from a Stephen King short story, and its attentive
>> craftsmanship nicely captures King's traditional ambiance. (N.B.: This
>> viewer also considers CUJO and DREAMCATCHER to be standouts among King
>> adaptations.) Recommended.
>
> To me, it seemed there should’ve been more to it. It seemed there were
> story opportunities that were not taken, connections that could’ve been
> made, potential developments that never went anywhere. It might be an
> interesting short story, but stretched out into a movie. It just did not
> work for me.

Fwiw, I'd read the short story a while back, but don't recall anything
that was left out. I've read lots of King, and have come to accept that
he's about setting and mood rather than plot ...and I suppose I
appreciated how the filmmakers seemed aboard with that. (No, I didn't
find the short story exceptional, and am a bit surprised it received
what I consider a relatively high-end production.)