Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 07:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OPERATION SEAWOLF (film review by Mark R. Leeper)
From: mlee...@optonline.net (Mark Leeper)
 by: Mark Leeper - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 14:15 UTC

The first scene of OPERATION SEAWOLF takes place near the end
of World War I (May 12, 1918), when we see a young Hans Kessler
serving on a German U-boat that is torpedoed. This is done with a
mix of English with German accents, and German with English
subtitles. Luckily, they abandon this technique early on.
Throughout they could really have used subtitles to make it
possible to understand the accents and the sometimes muffled sound,
but screeners often do not provide these. The main part of the
film is of Kessler at the end of World War II (April 27, 1945),
when he is chosen to lead an attack on the United States homeland
by using a submarine to bring a V-2 rocket within range of New York
City. (I should point out that this movie is fiction, and not
based on an historical event.)

The underwater scenes seem partly produced by showing an empty room
and smoke, and partly by simple animation. One scene appears to be
borrowed from the "Panzerlied" scene of the film THE BATTLE OF THE
BULGE.

Having an African American officer and crew on a submarine chaser
seemed jarring, but was actually basically accurate, except that
Captain Samuel L. Gravely, Jr., did not come aboard USS PC-1264 (as
an ensign) until after the events of the movie. (The actor, Hiram
A. Murray, bears a striking resemblance to the real Gravely.)

The film is primarily about the conflicts within the German
military towards the end of the war: some wanted to fight on even
when the result was obvious, while others felt that would be
futile. Kessler is dismissive of the crew he is assigned (he says
that are not wolves, they are boys), and this results in various
acts of implicit disobedience that form the backbone of the film.

Released theatrically 10/03/2022. Rating: +1 (-4 to +4) or 6/10

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13429928/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/operation_seawolf