If you analyse anything, you destroy it. -- Arthur Miller

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

SubjectAuthor
* ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director SaUbiquitous
+* Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQanim8rfsk
|+* Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQUbiquitous
||+* Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQanim8rfsk
|||`- Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And DirectoNeill Massello
||`- Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, WriterAlan Smithee
|`- Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And DirectoOtto J. Makela
+- Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And DirectoNeill Massello
+- Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And DirectoOtto J. Makela
+- Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writertrotsky
`- Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writertrotsky

1
ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<tgsnqb$3pno5$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6637&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6637

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:34:03 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 17:34 UTC

An upcoming remake for the beloved classic, �The Wizard of Oz,� will be
taking audiences over the rainbow once more � this time sporting a pride
flag.

Writer and director Kenya Barris, the mastermind behind ABC�s �Black-ish,�
confirmed that his take on �Oz� will include LGBTQ+ representation to �tell a
story that reflects our world,� he said, according to Variety.

�The original was an allegory and a reflection of the way the world was at
the time with things like the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl,� Barris
told Variety. �Now we�re going to turn a mirror on where we�re at right now
and take disparate characters from the LGBTQ community, from different
cultural communities and socioeconomic communities, and tell a story that
reflects the world. I think this is the best time to do that,� he concluded.

Kenya Barris Says �Wizard of Oz� Remake Will Include LGBTQ
Representation to �Reflect the World� https://t.co/wEnzNXNIc9

� Variety (@Variety) September 21, 2022

There have been many films that dabbled in the wonderful Land of Oz over the
years; �The Wiz� and �Wicked� being among the most popular outside of Victor
Fleming�s 1939 classic film that made Judy Garland a star, according to Town
& Country.

Barris admits that remaking the film with a modern perspective will not be
without its challenges. �I�m nervous,� Barris said, according to Variety.
�Hopefully, my movie can last as long as the original does. Hopefully my
movie comes out.�

Barris� film for Warner Bros. is not the only �Oz� adaptation currently in
the works. New Line announced they too would be off to see the wizard in an
adaption based on L. Frank Baum�s book and directed by Nicole Kassell,
according to Town & Country.

�While the 1939 musical is part of my DNA, I am exhilarated and humbled by
the responsibility of re-imagining such a legendary tale. The opportunity to
examine the original themes �the quest for courage, love, wisdom and home �
feels more timely and urgent than ever. These are profoundly iconic shoes to
fill, and I am eager to dance alongside these heroes of my childhood as we
pave a newly minted yellow brick road!,� Kassel said in a statement last
year, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<1080255673.685907440.587719.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6638&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6638

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ
Representation, Writer And Director Says
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:55:30 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 17:55 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> An upcoming remake for the beloved classic, “The Wizard of Oz,” will be
> taking audiences over the rainbow once more – this time sporting a pride
> flag.
>
> Writer and director Kenya Barris, the mastermind behind ABC’s “Black-ish,”
> confirmed that his take on “Oz” will include LGBTQ+ representation to “tell a
> story that reflects our world,” he said, according to Variety.
>
> “The original was an allegory and a reflection of the way the world was at
> the time with things like the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl,” Barris
> told Variety. “Now we’re going to turn a mirror on where we’re at right now
> and take disparate characters from the LGBTQ community, from different
> cultural communities and socioeconomic communities, and tell a story that
> reflects the world. I think this is the best time to do that,” he concluded.

As if there was actually any time that was good.

> Kenya Barris Says ‘Wizard of Oz’ Remake Will Include

Named after the birthplace of one of our worst presidents!

LGBTQ
> Representation to ‘Reflect the World’ https://t.co/wEnzNXNIc9
>
> — Variety (@Variety) September 21, 2022
>
> There have been many films that dabbled in the wonderful Land of Oz over the
> years; “The Wiz” and “Wicked” being among the most popular outside of Victor
> Fleming’s 1939 classic film that made Judy Garland a star, according to Town
> & Country.
>
> Barris admits that remaking the film with a modern perspective will not be
> without its challenges. “I’m nervous,” Barris said, according to Variety.
> “Hopefully, my movie can last as long as the original does. Hopefully my
> movie comes out.”

Hopefully this is the last we ever hear of it

> Barris’ film for Warner Bros. is not the only “Oz” adaptation currently in
> the works. New Line announced they too would be off to see the wizard in an
> adaption based on L. Frank Baum’s book and directed by Nicole Kassell,
> according to Town & Country.
>
> “While the 1939 musical is part of my DNA, I am exhilarated and humbled by
> the responsibility of re-imagining such a legendary tale. The opportunity to
> examine the original themes —the quest for courage, love, wisdom and home —
> feels more timely and urgent than ever. These are profoundly iconic shoes to
> fill, and I am eager to dance alongside these heroes of my childhood as we
> pave a newly minted yellow brick road!,” Kassel said in a statement last
> year, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!

So here’s a serious question. Haven’t gay people been referred to as
“friends of Dorothy“ forever? Where does that come from?

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<tgst14$3q7nv$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6639&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6639

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films
Representation, Writer And Director Says
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 15:03:00 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 19:03 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

> So here's a serious question. Haven't gay people been referred to
> as “friends of Dorothy“ forever? Where does that come from?

I am not sure, but she was played by Judy Garland, who is popular
with us for some reason.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<1837231250.685911873.321648.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6640&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6640

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films
Representation, Writer And Director Says
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:28:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 19:28 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>
>> So here's a serious question. Haven't gay people been referred to
>> as “friends of Dorothy“ forever? Where does that come from?
>
> I am not sure, but she was played by Judy Garland, who is popular
> with us for some reason.

OK. So maybe it should really be “friends of Judy“?

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<tgt2e5$dfd$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6641&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6641

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer
And Director Says
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 17:35:17 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 20:35 UTC

On 09/26/2022 04:03 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>
>> So here's a serious question. Haven't gay people been referred to
>> as "friends of Dorothy" forever? Where does that come from?

> I am not sure, but she was played by Judy Garland, who is popular with us for some reason.

JG even had her own talk show back in the 50s. She interviewed Dean
Martin in one ep.

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<thcelm$1ntuc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6643&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6643

From: nmasse...@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:36:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Neill Massello - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:36 UTC

On 2022-09-26 at 14:28:11 CDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>>
>>> So here's a serious question. Haven't gay people been referred to
>>> as “friends of Dorothy“ forever? Where does that come from?
>>
>> I am not sure, but she was played by Judy Garland, who is popular
>> with us for some reason.
>
> OK. So maybe it should really be “friends of Judy“?

Friends of Dorothy

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<thcf64$1nv6d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6644&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6644

From: nmasse...@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:44:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Neill Massello - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:44 UTC

On 2022-09-26 at 12:34:03 CDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> There have been many films that dabbled in the wonderful Land of Oz over the
> years; “The Wiz” and “Wicked” being among the most popular outside of Victor
> Fleming’s 1939 classic film that made Judy Garland a star, according to Town
> & Country.

And at least two relatively recent TV series.

Tin Man (2007)
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910812/reference/>

Emerald City (2016)
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3579018/reference/>

They were at least interesting, if not really all that good. This thing is
likely to be a ponderous political snoozefest. I could go for Hillary was the
Wicked Witch of Westchester. Instead, it will probably be a thinly-veiled
Marjorie Taylor Green.

With any luck, it will flop hard, a signpost of the end of the Gay Political
Moment.

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<87pmey3iui.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6662&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6662

Followup: alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.movies.wizard-of-oz,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 10:44:21 +0300
 by: Otto J. Makela - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 07:44 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> So here’s a serious question. Haven’t gay people been referred to as
> “friends of Dorothy“ forever? Where does that come from?

In gay slang, a "friend of Dorothy" (FOD) is a gay man; and more
broadly, any LGBTQ person. Stating that, or asking if, someone was
a friend of Dorothy was a furtive shibboleth used for discussing
sexual orientation while avoiding hostility. The term was likely
based on the character Dorothy Gale of the Oz series of novels,
which have been interpreted as including much queer subtext.
Actress Judy Garland, who portrayed Dorothy in the 1939 Wizard of
Oz film, is considered a gay icon. Writer and critic Dorothy
Parker is thought to be another potential origin of the term.
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<87lepm3hmq.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6663&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6663

From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:10:37 +0300
 by: Otto J. Makela - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 08:10 UTC

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> The original didn't really reference sexuality at all. Why do these
> queers need to?

The original book series is full of symbolism and allegories, and people
have been trying to understand the hidden political messages for over a
century. Politics isn't sexuality, but one of today's hottest political
subjects is sexuality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_interpretations_of_The_Wonderful_Wizard_of_Oz
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */
/* Mail: Mechelininkatu 26 B 27, FI-00100 Helsinki */
/* * * Computers Rule 01001111 01001011 * * * * * * */

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<ti3e2u$1dal$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6664&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6664

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
And Director Says
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 04:47:10 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:47 UTC

On 10/11/2022 12:47 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Monday, 26 September 2022 at 13:34:07 UTC-4, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> An upcoming remake for the beloved classic, “The Wizard of Oz,” will be
>> taking audiences over the rainbow once more – this time sporting a pride
>
>> Let's go Brandon!
>
> The original didn't really reference sexuality at all. Why do these queers need to?

Sounds like you should do some more research, unless your goal was just
to whine like a bitch on an internet forum.

Re: ABC's Wizard Of Oz Remake Will Have LGBTQ Representation, Writer And Director Says

<tj0cb2$i8u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6696&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6696

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
And Director Says
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 04:15:14 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:15 UTC

On 10/19/2022 5:57 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Monday, 26 September 2022 at 13:34:07 UTC-4, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> An upcoming remake for the beloved classic, “The Wizard of Oz,” will be
>> taking audiences over the rainbow once more – this time sporting a pride
>> flag.
>>
>> Writer and director Kenya Barris, the mastermind behind ABC’s “Black-ish,”
>> confirmed that his take on “Oz” will include LGBTQ+ representation to “tell a
>> story that reflects our world,” he said, according to Variety.
>>
>> “The original was an allegory and a reflection of the way the world was at
>> the time with things like the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl,” Barris
>> told Variety. “Now we’re going to turn a mirror on where we’re at right now
>> and take disparate characters from the LGBTQ community, from different
>> cultural communities and socioeconomic communities, and tell a story that
>> reflects the world. I think this is the best time to do that,” he concluded.
>>
>> Kenya Barris Says ‘Wizard of Oz’ Remake Will Include LGBTQ
>> Representation to ‘Reflect the World’ https://t.co/wEnzNXNIc9
>>
>> — Variety (@Variety) September 21, 2022
>>
>> There have been many films that dabbled in the wonderful Land of Oz over the
>> years; “The Wiz” and “Wicked” being among the most popular outside of Victor
>> Fleming’s 1939 classic film that made Judy Garland a star, according to Town
>> & Country.
>>
>> Barris admits that remaking the film with a modern perspective will not be
>> without its challenges. “I’m nervous,” Barris said, according to Variety.
>> “Hopefully, my movie can last as long as the original does. Hopefully my
>> movie comes out.”
>>
>> Barris’ film for Warner Bros. is not the only “Oz” adaptation currently in
>> the works. New Line announced they too would be off to see the wizard in an
>> adaption based on L. Frank Baum’s book and directed by Nicole Kassell,
>> according to Town & Country.
>>
>> “While the 1939 musical is part of my DNA, I am exhilarated and humbled by
>> the responsibility of re-imagining such a legendary tale. The opportunity to
>> examine the original themes —the quest for courage, love, wisdom and home —
>> feels more timely and urgent than ever. These are profoundly iconic shoes to
>> fill, and I am eager to dance alongside these heroes of my childhood as we
>> pave a newly minted yellow brick road!,” Kassel said in a statement last
>> year, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
>>
>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!
>
> Which of the creatures will ask the wizard for a sex-change?

The anonyshit character.