From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Haarold wins at Hasting.
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 21:14:05 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 04:14 UTC

While discussing linguistic developments from Old English
(Anglo-Saxon) by way of the Frenchified Norman influence, we came
across the detail that much of Edwards court had been Francofile, so
the French influence on the development of English would have still
been there.

Which lead to "What if Maude had married a Norwegian King?" and
that lead to an interesting Plot Complication.
Suppose that King Harald Hardrada, in the summer of '66, makes an
offer to Harold Godwinson, in exchange for Harald's aid against
William, Harold would back Harald's claims in Normandy. "It's a
possibility."
--
Here are some objective realities. Aristotle was not Belgian!
The central message of Buddhism is not every man for himself!

Re: Haarold wins at Hasting.

<se1eji0sn1@news3.newsguy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6749&group=alt.history.what-if#6749

From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: Haarold wins at Hasting.
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:58:11 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:58 UTC

> While discussing linguistic developments from Old English
> (Anglo-Saxon) by way of the Frenchified Norman influence, we came
> across the detail that much of Edwards court had been Francofile, so
> the French influence on the development of English would have still
> been there.
>
> Which lead to "What if Maude had married a Norwegian King?" and
> that lead to an interesting Plot Complication.
> Suppose that King Harald Hardrada, in the summer of '66, makes an
> offer to Harold Godwinson, in exchange for Harald's aid against
> William, Harold would back Harald's claims in Normandy. "It's a
> possibility."

In case you are interested in further reading,
this book is Science fiction, involving historians
able to time travel to really view and record
events that have questionable documentation in
history.
It appears that the author does take her history
pretty accurately. It is interesting reading with
about 4 of their 'viewings' related to the Norman Conquest.

"And the rest is History" by Jodi Taylor
(The Chronicles of St Mary's #8)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08739GPRK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

or

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31213373-and-the-rest-is-history

Re: Haarold wins at Hasting.

<l1k8gg98ppbrqebsvv9b4s3mqqv3ep2pe8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6750&group=alt.history.what-if#6750

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:34:10 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:34 UTC

a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> on Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:58:11 -0700
typed in alt.history.what-if the following:
>On 7/29/2021 9:14 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> While discussing linguistic developments from Old English
>> (Anglo-Saxon) by way of the Frenchified Norman influence, we came
>> across the detail that much of Edwards court had been Francofile, so
>> the French influence on the development of English would have still
>> been there.
>>
>> Which lead to "What if Maude had married a Norwegian King?" and
>> that lead to an interesting Plot Complication.
>> Suppose that King Harald Hardrada, in the summer of '66, makes an
>> offer to Harold Godwinson, in exchange for Harald's aid against
>> William, Harold would back Harald's claims in Normandy. "It's a
>> possibility."
>>
>In case you are interested in further reading,
>this book is Science fiction, involving historians
>able to time travel to really view and record
>events that have questionable documentation in
>history.
>It appears that the author does take her history
>pretty accurately. It is interesting reading with
>about 4 of their 'viewings' related to the Norman Conquest.
>
>"And the rest is History" by Jodi Taylor
>(The Chronicles of St Mary's #8)

Ah yes, the Chronicles of St Marys. "Historical Research in
contemporary time (NOT Time Travel!!!!)"

>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08739GPRK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
>
>or
>
>https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31213373-and-the-rest-is-history
--
pyotr filipivich
"History rarely repeats herself" is the cliche. In reality she just
lets fly with a frying pan yelling "Why weren't you listening the first time!?"

Re: Haarold wins at Hasting.

<se3re8024bf@news2.newsguy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6756&group=alt.history.what-if#6756

From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:49:30 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:49 UTC

> a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> on Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:58:11 -0700
> typed in alt.history.what-if the following:
>> On 7/29/2021 9:14 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>> While discussing linguistic developments from Old English
>>> (Anglo-Saxon) by way of the Frenchified Norman influence, we came
>>> across the detail that much of Edwards court had been Francofile, so
>>> the French influence on the development of English would have still
>>> been there.
>>>
>>> Which lead to "What if Maude had married a Norwegian King?" and
>>> that lead to an interesting Plot Complication.
>>> Suppose that King Harald Hardrada, in the summer of '66, makes an
>>> offer to Harold Godwinson, in exchange for Harald's aid against
>>> William, Harold would back Harald's claims in Normandy. "It's a
>>> possibility."
>>>
>> In case you are interested in further reading,
>> this book is Science fiction, involving historians
>> able to time travel to really view and record
>> events that have questionable documentation in
>> history.
>> It appears that the author does take her history
>> pretty accurately. It is interesting reading with
>> about 4 of their 'viewings' related to the Norman Conquest.
>>
>> "And the rest is History" by Jodi Taylor
>> (The Chronicles of St Mary's #8)
>
> Ah yes, the Chronicles of St Marys. "Historical Research in
> contemporary time (NOT Time Travel!!!!)"

Yes. That is the wording they keep repeating.
But, at times, it is an interesting set of books.