f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

SubjectAuthor
* BARBARIAN (no spoilers)moviePig
+* Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)BTR1701
|+- Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)BTR1701
|  +- Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)moviePig
|  `- Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)anim8rfsk
+- Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)trotsky
+- Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)the dog from that film you saw
+* Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)super70s
|`- Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)trotsky
`- Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)Ubiquitous

1
BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<hrreL.4912$BIx.3899@fx14.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6741&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6741

From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Subject: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:10:06 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 15:10 UTC

In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
Barbary Street), only to find it occupied. BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
well. From this fan, it's well recommended.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<SUydnfBpBPKay-f-nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6742&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6742

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:29:59 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:29 UTC

On Nov 20, 2022 at 7:10:06 AM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied. BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
> well. From this fan, it's well recommended.

Just watched it last night. I found it hard to believe that even at night in
the rain she didn't notice that was one of Detroit's rotting war zone
neighborhoods. And that neither she nor Pennywise were suspicious of this one
perfectly maintained house sitting amongst all the wreckage.

I also don't like it when monsters are inexplicably able to defy the laws of
physics, i.e. the acceleration of gravity is a constant. Objects fall at a
constant speed and one can't catch up to the other in free fall.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<tldm13$3i6ko$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6743&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6743

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 08:52:51 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 16:52 UTC

On 2022-11-20 16:29:59 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> On Nov 20, 2022 at 7:10:06 AM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
>> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied. BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
>> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
>> well. From this fan, it's well recommended.
>
> Just watched it last night.

This is on my list to get to, but it's not as high as some other things...

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<401254725.690660907.235362.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6744&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6744

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:16:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:16 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2022 at 7:10:06 AM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>

>> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
>> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied. BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
>> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
>> well. From this fan, it's well recommended.
>
> Just watched it last night. I found it hard to believe that even at night in
the rain she didn't notice that was one of Detroit's rotting war zone
neighborhoods. And that neither she nor Pennywise were suspicious of this
one
perfectly maintained house sitting amongst all the wreckage.

> I also don't like it when monsters are inexplicably able to defy the laws of
physics, i.e. the acceleration of gravity is a constant. Objects fall at a
constant speed and one can't catch up to the other in free fall.

That just continues to amaze me. People that can’t fly throwing themselves
off the precipice and catching up with the guy that fell 1st much less
managing to rescue them.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<atropos-30652B.10593220112022@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6745&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6745

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:00:07 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 19:00 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 20, 2022 at 7:10:06 AM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> >

> >> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
> >> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied. BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
> >> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
> >> well. From this fan, it's well recommended.
> >
> > Just watched it last night. I found it hard to believe that even at night
> > in the rain she didn't notice that was one of Detroit's rotting war zone
> > neighborhoods. And that neither she nor Pennywise were suspicious of this
> > one perfectly maintained house sitting amongst all the wreckage.
> >
> > I also don't like it when monsters are inexplicably able to defy the laws
> > of physics, i.e. the acceleration of gravity is a constant. Objects fall
> > at a constant speed and one can't catch up to the other in free fall.
> >
> That just continues to amaze me. People that can’t fly throwing themselves
> off the precipice and catching up with the guy that fell 1st much less
> managing to rescue them.

If you're high enough, you can use aerodynamics to your advantage, but
that only gives you minimal ability to catch up and is completely
inapplicable to this movie, where the fall was about 70 feet, not 7000
feet.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<HsveL.5785$BIx.540@fx14.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6746&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6746

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:44:40 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 19:44 UTC

On 11/20/2022 2:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article
> <401254725.690660907.235362.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Just watched it last night. I found it hard to believe that even at night
>>> in the rain she didn't notice that was one of Detroit's rotting war zone
>>> neighborhoods. And that neither she nor Pennywise were suspicious of this
>>> one perfectly maintained house sitting amongst all the wreckage.
>>>
>>> I also don't like it when monsters are inexplicably able to defy the laws
>>> of physics, i.e. the acceleration of gravity is a constant. Objects fall
>>> at a constant speed and one can't catch up to the other in free fall.
>>>
>> That just continues to amaze me. People that can’t fly throwing themselves
>> off the precipice and catching up with the guy that fell 1st much less
>> managing to rescue them.
>
> If you're high enough, you can use aerodynamics to your advantage, but
> that only gives you minimal ability to catch up and is completely
> inapplicable to this movie, where the fall was about 70 feet, not 7000
> feet.

No, not aerodynamics, here. The overtaking would've had to owe to an
initial downward push by the second jumper -- admittedly a stretch.
However, such minutiae mustn't distract from the subsequent fate of the
remaining character, which wittily reprised that of the same actor in
another (well known) horror flick from years ago...

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<tle2ac$6ja$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6747&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6747

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:22:36 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:22 UTC

On 11/20/22 9:10 AM, moviePig wrote:

> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied.  BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
> well.  From this fan, it's well recommended.

Thanks for the tip, I was going to cancel H Max but I'll watch this first.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<18241652.690668642.859081.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6748&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6748

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 13:28:41 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:28 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <401254725.690660907.235362.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Just watched it last night. I found it hard to believe that even at night
>>> in the rain she didn't notice that was one of Detroit's rotting war zone
>>> neighborhoods. And that neither she nor Pennywise were suspicious of this
>>> one perfectly maintained house sitting amongst all the wreckage.
>>>
>>> I also don't like it when monsters are inexplicably able to defy the laws
>>> of physics, i.e. the acceleration of gravity is a constant. Objects fall
>>> at a constant speed and one can't catch up to the other in free fall.
>>>
>> That just continues to amaze me. People that can’t fly throwing themselves
>> off the precipice and catching up with the guy that fell 1st much less
>> managing to rescue them.
>
> If you're high enough, you can use aerodynamics to your advantage, but
> that only gives you minimal ability to catch up and is completely
> inapplicable to this movie, where the fall was about 70 feet, not 7000
> feet.

Yeah, I’m thinking more like people falling into a well in one of those
awful super gay Batman movies.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<vmQeL.990$zBQ2.615@fx40.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6751&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6751

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: dsb...@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com (the dog from that film you saw)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 19:31:38 +0000
 by: the dog from that fi - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 19:31 UTC

On 20/11/2022 15:10, moviePig wrote:

> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied.  BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
> well.  From this fan, it's well recommended.

i certainly enjoyed it - silly fun.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<super70s-626327.02261523112022@reader.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6754&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6754

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 02:26:16 -0600
 by: super70s - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 08:26 UTC

In article <hrreL.4912$BIx.3899@fx14.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied. BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
> well. From this fan, it's well recommended.

I'm getting the free HBO/Cinemax "Thanksgiving preview" on regular cable
this week, looks like Barbarian is on Wednesday night on HBOSIG at 10:05
p.m. CST, I'll be sure to check it out.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<tlks0n$1566$12@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6755&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6755

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 04:17:59 -0600
 by: trotsky - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:17 UTC

On 11/23/22 2:26 AM, super70s wrote:
> In article <hrreL.4912$BIx.3899@fx14.iad>,
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
>> Barbary Street), only to find it occupied. BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a
>> small delight: a conventional horror-thriller done unconventionally
>> well. From this fan, it's well recommended.
>
> I'm getting the free HBO/Cinemax "Thanksgiving preview" on regular cable
> this week, looks like Barbarian is on Wednesday night on HBOSIG at 10:05
> p.m. CST, I'll be sure to check it out.

In fact, the premise appeared to be borrowed from the X-Files ep. "Home"
which is still talked about in some circles.

Re: BARBARIAN (no spoilers)

<tlkvcp$btcr$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6756&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6756

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 04:30:44 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 09:30 UTC

In article <hrreL.4912$BIx.3899@fx14.iad>, pwallace@moviepig.com wrote:

>In a dark Detroit rainstorm, a young woman arrives at her AirBNB (on
>Barbary Street), only to find it occupied.

Spoiler alert: They're sword-weilding twin bodybuilders!

>BARBARIAN, on HBOMax, is a small delight: a conventional horror-thriller
>done unconventionally well. From this fan, it's well recommended.

It was a cheesy movie but I'd hardly call it "horror"!

--
Let's go Brandon!