Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:47:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Pakistan created in 1947, but per Jinnah's original plan (no
partition of Punjab and Bengal)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Mon, 17 May 2021 21:47 UTC

What if Pakistan would have been created in 1947, but per Jinnah's original plan? So, no partition of Punjab and Bengal, with both of those provinces going to Pakistan in their entirety. In such a scenario, all of Kashmir would have obviously went to Pakistan, but what about the ethnic cleansing? Would it have been much less severe in this scenario, or what?

Why exactly was the ethnic cleansing in Punjab in 1947 ESPECIALLY severe even in comparison to Bengal, BTW?

Re: Pakistan created in 1947, but per Jinnah's original plan (no partition of Punjab and Bengal)

<se6rmj$bd9$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6775&group=alt.history.what-if#6775

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: Pakistan created in 1947, but per Jinnah's original plan (no partition of Punjab and Bengal)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 19:12:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 19:12 UTC

WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com> wrote:
> What if Pakistan would have been created in 1947, but per Jinnah's original
> plan? So, no partition of Punjab and Bengal, with both of those provinces
> going to Pakistan in their entirety. In such a scenario, all of Kashmir would
> have obviously went to Pakistan, but what about the ethnic cleansing? Would
> it have been much less severe in this scenario, or what?

A united Bengal would be even more likely to break away from Pakistan,
I expect...East Bengal didn't become independent until 1971 but with
Calcutta instead of Dacca as the focus and a less Islamic population base
the differences from the West would more severe and the union less stable.

> Why exactly was the ethnic cleansing in Punjab in 1947 ESPECIALLY severe
> even in comparison to Bengal, BTW?

Angry Sikhs in the mix among other things...
https://www.thesikhencyclopedia.com/historical-events-in-sikh-history/the-modern-history-of-sikhs-1947-present/partition-of-the-punjab/

-=-=-