Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 14:10:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: World religions right now without Islam?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 21:10 UTC

What would the world religious landscape have looked like right now without Islam and with a GIANT butterfly net?

Re: World religions right now without Islam?

<8YyOI.1234$A6.143@fx37.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6788&group=alt.history.what-if#6788

Subject: Re: World religions right now without Islam?
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
From: Chrysi...@gmail.com (Chrysi Cat)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:08:32 -0600
 by: Chrysi Cat - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 16:08 UTC

On 8/3/2021 3:10 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> What would the world religious landscape have looked like right now without Islam and with a GIANT butterfly net?

The first question is, is this because Muhammad still has his vision but
is convinced of becoming just another evangeliser for Christ instead, or
is this because the followers of traditional Arab religion managed to
kill him before Islam could take off?

If Muhammad spreads _Christianity_ to the people of Mecca and Medina
instead, it likely leads to a world where only those areas that were
still followers of their traditional religion--that is, parts of East
Asia and southern Africa--IOTL, avoid becoming Christian ITTL.

If Muhammad fails in his wars against the Arabs in Mecca or Medina, then
I suspect traditional Arab religion is still a thing "today".

In the "universal Christianity" scenario, it's likely to remain a
conservative religion, and at least Western Europe will see the
Patriarch of Rome not as first among equals but as having _no_ equal.
I'd have to think that one of the big butterflies would hit secularism
and another Protestantism, so that a very devout group of Catholics
still makes up almost all of the European population. It also means
likely trouble for the Jewish people, who got most of their liberties
from the Muslims, not the Catholics, from the word "go" for Islamic
civilisation.

The big question is what religion in the New World would look like.

A likely _answer_ is "completely untouched by Christianity", as without
Muslims, the Silk Road likely never gets to be even _perceived_ as "closed".

If this means no pressure to find another route to "the Indies", it's
entirely possible that no European would have _ever_ gone looking for a
"Western passage" to get to the eastern end of the "Road" instead.

THAT would likely mean there would be almost as good a chance of the
North Americans discovering and trying to invade Europe, in the long
run, though the North Americans would still be at huge disadvantages
like "never using the wheel on a transportation device" and "still zero
natural resistance to all those livestock-carried diseases that OTL
Europe carried to the New World".

Of course, even should the First Nations discover the Old World first,
the odds that they can conquer and impose their religion on it are slim.

But until someone has reason to try to cross from China to Europe or
vice-versa, which the absence of a hostile Muslim world astride the Silk
Road should _heavily_ delay, the New World will continue to have its
native religions instead.

As will Australia, even more so, unless the Balinese have some good
reason to explore the place.

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger