Thank you for observing all safety precautions.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie

SubjectAuthor
* Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and WheelieZobovor
+- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and WheelieCodigo Postal
+- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class RatchetGustavo Wombat
`* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and WheelieIrrellius Spamticon
 `* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and WheelieZobovor
  `- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class RatchetGustavo Wombat

1
Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie

<ef66cdd2-b4ea-4283-afec-4bcc25968d57n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6765&group=alt.toys.transformers#6765

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 10:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 17:31 UTC

I heard that Big Bad Toy Store had these guys in stock—not just as a pre-sale, but to actually ship!—so I ordered them a few days ago. Still haven't seen them in stores anywhere yet.

Now that Studio Series has been expanded into Core class toys, it's giving Hasbro an opportunity to give us both tiny characters (I see the potential for a lot of cassettes in the future!) as well as miniaturized versions of characters that will scale with the existing pint-sized Core-class toys we've been getting with Kingdom and Legacy.

AUTOBOT RATCHET

It seems odd that we've got a tiny Ratchet and yet Hasbro recently announced a Voyager-class Ironhide. But, it seems incredibly likely that they will eventually swap roles, and that we'll eventually get a remolded Core-class Ironhide and the Voyager-class toy will get a remold as Ratchet.

So, Tiny Ratchet is about 3.25" in height as a robot. He's made entirely of white plastic, as far as I can tell, with select parts being painted red (fists, pelvis) or light blue (windshield) or silver (robot face) or grey (crest on helmet; vehicle tires). And, for being such a small toy, he's shockingly good. Like, I wouldn't completely hate it if they just blew up this design to a Deluxe-sized toy. It's not perfect, but no version of Ironhide/Ratchet really ever has been, up to and including the Masterpiece releases. He's got his correct windshield chest, he's got a good head sculpt... it's a really solid effort.

His shoulders have a red-colored Star of Life, with the Autobot insignia inside each one instead of the more commonly-seen rod of Asclepius (the snake-on-a-stick). The American Red Cross gets awfully cross these days when their trademarked emblem is used without permission.

His articulation is also surprisingly good. His tiny little head can swivel, he's got rotating shoulders and a ball-and-socket bicep and bending elbows, he's got a mid-body swivel (a little higher than the pelvis, and required for transformation), and ball-and-socket hips and knees (the knees are somewhat limited by the kibble on his lower legs). The only thing I would describe as objectively bad is that his toes are very short, and he's got obvious wheels that are only partially hidden behind the panels on his lower legs. But, honestly he doesn't look bad at all.

He comes with two pistols, mainly to reenact the scene from The Transformers: the Movie when he starts firing away at the Decepticons boarding his ill-fated shuttle. (Some fans have also suggested that the "real" reason we got a Core-class Ratchet was to be able to reenact the cel-layering error from "Masquerade" when a Ratchet in the background was placed in the foreground, making him look half the size of Ironhide.)

The transformation is a bit more involved than I would have initially suspected. The front windshield opens up so you can tuck away the robot head, and lower body spins around to reveal the vehicle front bumper. The arms swing back and end up tucked inside the back of the van, which is formed by the lower legs. This is basically exactly how cartoon Ratchet transformed, after they ditched the idea of the separate M.A.R.B. unit and invented an integrated robot-to-van transformation that had nothing to do with his G1 toy. The legs have a swing-open panel, like the Siege and Earthrise versions, but the panel also includes the front wheels to complete the van mode.

In ambulance mode, he's about 2.75" in length, even smaller than G1 First Aid, and roughly the same size as Tonka GoBots Rest-Q. He's very white, with a blue-painted front window and driver/passenger side windows, but none of the other five windows. No emergency symbols. He's got red-painted roof lights, but that's it. His guns are designed to plug into square-shaped holes on either side of the ambulance mode. His wheels are painted dark grey, so I would worry about paint wear if I gave this toy to a child.

He's honestly such a cute little toy. He would be compatible with any of the G1 city-bots like Metroplex, Fortress Maximus, etc. and would scale well with any of the modern Titan-class toys as well. He could use a touch more color, especially in vehicle mode, but we'll let that slide.

AUTOBOT WHEELIE

The much-maligned non-transformable Wheelie figure that came with Studio Series Slag was kind of awful. I mean, yeah, it was screen-accurate, but his legs were stuck in a Dreamwave-style perma-squat, so you couldn't stand him up properly. There were a number of third-party kits to replace his legs with fully articulated ones—or even to replace the figure entirely with one that could actually transform into something.

This version succeeds in some ways and fails badly in other ways. You can tell that an effort was made, but there's a lot that could have been improved upon.

For starters, the robot mode is pretty amazing. The G1 toy was highly oversimplified, was a single shade of orange, and had the robot head stuck in the center of the chest, with a silly little canopy-flap revealing the face. This version is two-tone, with both light and dark orange colors, plus the grey boots and silver fists, and a proper robot head with a cute little helmet design that kind of resembles a child's baseball cap. They even found a way to give him the square-shaped wheel wells on his arms in robot mode, which quite impossibly (in the cartoon) turn into the rounded wheels in vehicle mode.

Articulation is good—ball joints everywhere, for the head and shoulders and elbows and hips and knees. The elbows don't look great when they're bent fully, because there's a big and obvious gap. This version removes the additional problems on the non-transforming figure, which had arms permanently positioned into an "Imma firin' mah slingshot" pose. The obvious hollow nature of the legs on the on-transforming figure has also been corrected here.

He comes with his little energy slingshot, the weapon he actually carried in Transformers: the Movie, and it's a separate accessory, rather than being molded to the inside of his arm, as has been done with some previous versions of Wheelie. It's like a little tiny PKE meter that I'm probably going to lose as soon as I'm done writing this.

The transformation does leave a bit to be desired. Amusingly, the robot face does still end up hiding behind the vehicle cockpit (which on this toy is on the robot's back; it flips open to hide the robot head and then closes again). The front wheels are tucked behind the robot lower legs, so the lower legs clip together to form the front, with the toes becoming the hood. The rear wheels are on the insides of the robot forearms, so they rotate and become the back of the car. The slingshot can store in the undercarriage.

And then you're left with this... almost-car mode. Like, when I first saw pictures of it, I couldn't tell which was the back end and which was the front. It just looks incomplete. The obvious robot fists poking out of the back aren't great. I mean, there was probably nothing they could do. The wheels are mounted to the forearms, so there's no room to make the fists tuck away, unless they gave him fake wheels that didn't roll. But maybe a hinge on the inside of the wrists so the hands could at least tuck towards each other? Something else would have been good.

Also, the front of the car mode just doesn't great. There are a lot of parts that come together (the robot pelvis, the robot lower legs, the robot toes) but nothing really meshes together or forms a cohesive shape. The robot toes should have been made much larger so that they could form a solid-looking vehicle hood. As it stands, he just looks like he's missing a big piece. He's 2.75" from end to end.

I know that Wheelie's cartoon transformation is basically impossible, and it's super hard to employ some of the usual cheats (like faux parts) at such a tiny scale. But, if the problem was a non-transforming Wheelie figure, and the solution was Hasbro going "okay, sorry, we'll do one that can turn into a car this time" then this doesn't seem like they really found the answer. There should have been more focus on getting the vehicle mode right this time. But, I mean, I guess there's still G1 Wheelie for that.

I mean, he looks good from some angles. The top-down view is fine. The front-view is fine. The side view, though, is just awful.

I will say that this one is substantially better than the Titans Return Wheelie, which was just a mess of parts that didn't lock together right. That toy would never stay in vehicle mode for more than a few seconds, and it fell apart as soon as you started casually handling it. So, there's that.

I think a partial third-party replacement with bigger feet might solve the problems with this toy. Larger feet that form a bigger, more solid front bumper would do the trick. Maybe replacement forearms while we're at it, so the fists can tuck away somehow (even just folding them towards each other, under the rear bumper, would be better than nothing).

I want to cut Hasbro a lot of slack here, because I know there were probably a lot of limitations due to scale and budget. But, ugh. The car mode is just so ugly. It's really aesthetically terrible.

Zob (whoever gave final approval on this toy needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves about their life choices)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie

<ef157f28-05d6-4c10-bef5-f6f8aa279974n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6789&group=alt.toys.transformers#6789

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:00:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 03:00 UTC

> AUTOBOT WHEELIE
>
> The much-maligned non-transformable Wheelie figure that came with Studio Series Slag was kind of awful. I mean, yeah, it was screen-accurate, but his legs were stuck in a Dreamwave-style perma-squat, so you couldn't stand him up properly. There were a number of third-party kits to replace his legs with fully articulated ones—or even to replace the figure entirely with one that could actually transform into something.

I understand that it was an effort to justify the price point, and make it easier to cut something while maintaining that price point moving forward. Sneaky.

> He comes with his little energy slingshot, the weapon he actually carried in Transformers: the Movie, and it's a separate accessory, rather than being molded to the inside of his arm, as has been done with some previous versions of Wheelie. It's like a little tiny PKE meter that I'm probably going to lose as soon as I'm done writing this.

I understand that this is SS86, but I prefer the Wheelie who let loose with a pistol and nailed a Sweep in the face, sending him to his doom. The slingshot just isn't as iconic.

Come to think of it, Wheelie might well have been the most badass of all the Autobots.
Go ahead, name another Autobot who straight up delivered a killshot to a Decepticon, with his own tough-guy catchphrase to boot.

"Galvatron is strong, but Wheelie is mean!" - FFOD Part 3, around the 8:36 mark.

> And then you're left with this... almost-car mode. Like, when I first saw pictures of it, I couldn't tell which was the back end and which was the front. It just looks incomplete. The obvious robot fists poking out of the back aren't great. I mean, there was probably nothing they could do. The wheels are mounted to the forearms, so there's no room to make the fists tuck away, unless they gave him fake wheels that didn't roll. But maybe a hinge on the inside of the wrists so the hands could at least tuck towards each other? Something else would have been good.

The hands sticking out is egregious and never should have been allowed. The cynic in me suspects this is how they get us to buy another Deluxe Wheelie for $30 in a year or two.

> Also, the front of the car mode just doesn't great. There are a lot of parts that come together (the robot pelvis, the robot lower legs, the robot toes) but nothing really meshes together or forms a cohesive shape. The robot toes should have been made much larger so that they could form a solid-looking vehicle hood. As it stands, he just looks like he's missing a big piece. He's 2.75" from end to end.

I can live with the front, somehow. The cartoon accurate windshield/cockpit makes me happy.

> I mean, he looks good from some angles. The top-down view is fine. The front-view is fine. The side view, though, is just awful.

We should just apply this standard to TF moving forward:

Megan Fox: Front-view, top-down view, side-view - more than fine.
Rosie Huntington Whiteley: Rear-view incredible. Front-view, though, is just awful.
Julie White: All views perfect.

> I think a partial third-party replacement with bigger feet might solve the problems with this toy. Larger feet that form a bigger, more solid front bumper would do the trick. Maybe replacement forearms while we're at it, so the fists can tuck away somehow (even just folding them towards each other, under the rear bumper, would be better than nothing).

I'm philosophically opposed to 3P upgrades for Core class figures, if only because the price of the upgrade often exceeds the price of the figure itself.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie

<tf9gia$dtv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6792&group=alt.toys.transformers#6792

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet
and Wheelie
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 07:17:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 07:17 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> I heard that Big Bad Toy Store had these guys in stock—not just as a
> pre-sale, but to actually ship!—so I ordered them a few days ago. Still
> haven't seen them in stores anywhere yet.
>
> Now that Studio Series has been expanded into Core class toys, it's
> giving Hasbro an opportunity to give us both tiny characters (I see the
> potential for a lot of cassettes in the future!) as well as miniaturized
> versions of characters that will scale with the existing pint-sized
> Core-class toys we've been getting with Kingdom and Legacy.
>
> AUTOBOT RATCHET
>
> It seems odd that we've got a tiny Ratchet and yet Hasbro recently
> announced a Voyager-class Ironhide. But, it seems incredibly likely that
> they will eventually swap roles, and that we'll eventually get a remolded
> Core-class Ironhide and the Voyager-class toy will get a remold as Ratchet.
>
> So, Tiny Ratchet is about 3.25" in height as a robot. He's made entirely
> of white plastic, as far as I can tell, with select parts being painted
> red (fists, pelvis) or light blue (windshield) or silver (robot face) or
> grey (crest on helmet; vehicle tires). And, for being such a small toy,
> he's shockingly good.

I haven’t seen him in person, but the lack of painted windows on the rear
3/4ths of the figure bothers me. If they aren’t going to paint them, just
don’t mold them in. As it is, he looks incomplete.

(And it’s not like making him and Ironhide just vans rather than vanettes
would be terrible — not authentic, but neither are white windows)

The big hinges on the side… don’t seem as bad as the lack of paint. There
are tradeoffs to the design, and he’s really very tiny.

Like, I wouldn't completely hate it if they just blew up this design to a
Deluxe-sized toy. It's not perfect, but no version of Ironhide/Ratchet
really ever has been, up to and including the Masterpiece releases. He's
got his correct windshield chest, he's got a good head sculpt... it's a
really solid effort.

The sculpt looks good. And I do like simpler deluxes in general. Maybe I’ll
look to see if there is an oversized knockoff at some point, as the sculpt
looks better than the upcoming Voyager (too many little panels)

> His shoulders have a red-colored Star of Life, with the Autobot insignia
> inside each one instead of the more commonly-seen rod of Asclepius (the
> snake-on-a-stick). The American Red Cross gets awfully cross these days
> when their trademarked emblem is used without permission.

Screw them. When have they ever done anything worthwhile?

Fine, fine, lots of times.

> AUTOBOT WHEELIE
>
> The much-maligned non-transformable Wheelie figure that came with Studio
> Series Slag was kind of awful.

I would have loved him with straight legs. I don’t understand why they
thought this was better. Just put a tiny toehold on Grimlock and make
Wheelie ride him standing, because Wheelie as rider is just fun for maybe
ten minutes? Make sure he’s ok on his own.

I do eagerly await a leader sized Snapdragon that comes with Daniel though.

Anyway, I’m glad they are replacing that terrible Wheelie… oh, it’s bad
too? Sigh.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie

<ddbd7f0b-2895-49cf-9bee-88da53b8667fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6813&group=alt.toys.transformers#6813

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 07:40:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:40 UTC

On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 12:31:31 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> I heard that Big Bad Toy Store had these guys in stock—not just as a pre-sale, but to actually ship!—so I ordered them a few days ago. Still haven't seen them in stores anywhere yet.
>
> Now that Studio Series has been expanded into Core class toys, it's giving Hasbro an opportunity to give us both tiny characters (I see the potential for a lot of cassettes in the future!) as well as miniaturized versions of characters that will scale with the existing pint-sized Core-class toys we've been getting with Kingdom and Legacy.

There have already been preview pics for the Studio Rumble back in mid August, and I already have him on preorder. Don't have my Core Ratchet yet though.
We're gong to have a Soundwave and Rumble in the same size class that might be out of scale.

> [...]
>
> He's honestly such a cute little toy. He would be compatible with any of the G1 city-bots like Metroplex, Fortress Maximus, etc. and would scale well with any of the modern Titan-class toys as well. He could use a touch more color, especially in vehicle mode, but we'll let that slide.
>
> AUTOBOT WHEELIE
>
> The much-maligned non-transformable Wheelie figure that came with Studio Series Slag was kind of awful. I mean, yeah, it was screen-accurate, but his legs were stuck in a Dreamwave-style perma-squat, so you couldn't stand him up properly. There were a number of third-party kits to replace his legs with fully articulated ones—or even to replace the figure entirely with one that could actually transform into something.

Was the one with SS Slag different from Grimlock? I got the Wheelie with Grimlock.

> This version succeeds in some ways and fails badly in other ways. You can tell that an effort was made, but there's a lot that could have been improved upon.
>
> For starters, the robot mode is pretty amazing. The G1 toy was highly oversimplified, was a single shade of orange, and had the robot head stuck in the center of the chest, with a silly little canopy-flap revealing the face.. This version is two-tone, with both light and dark orange colors, plus the grey boots and silver fists, and a proper robot head with a cute little helmet design that kind of resembles a child's baseball cap. They even found a way to give him the square-shaped wheel wells on his arms in robot mode, which quite impossibly (in the cartoon) turn into the rounded wheels in vehicle mode.
>
> Articulation is good—ball joints everywhere, for the head and shoulders and elbows and hips and knees. The elbows don't look great when they're bent fully, because there's a big and obvious gap. This version removes the additional problems on the non-transforming figure, which had arms permanently positioned into an "Imma firin' mah slingshot" pose. The obvious hollow nature of the legs on the on-transforming figure has also been corrected here.
>
> He comes with his little energy slingshot, the weapon he actually carried in Transformers: the Movie, and it's a separate accessory, rather than being molded to the inside of his arm, as has been done with some previous versions of Wheelie. It's like a little tiny PKE meter that I'm probably going to lose as soon as I'm done writing this.

The previous nontransforming Wheelie has almost lost his slingshot to the cats multiple times.

> The transformation does leave a bit to be desired. Amusingly, the robot face does still end up hiding behind the vehicle cockpit (which on this toy is on the robot's back; it flips open to hide the robot head and then closes again). The front wheels are tucked behind the robot lower legs, so the lower legs clip together to form the front, with the toes becoming the hood. The rear wheels are on the insides of the robot forearms, so they rotate and become the back of the car. The slingshot can store in the undercarriage..
>
> And then you're left with this... almost-car mode. Like, when I first saw pictures of it, I couldn't tell which was the back end and which was the front. It just looks incomplete. The obvious robot fists poking out of the back aren't great. I mean, there was probably nothing they could do. The wheels are mounted to the forearms, so there's no room to make the fists tuck away, unless they gave him fake wheels that didn't roll. But maybe a hinge on the inside of the wrists so the hands could at least tuck towards each other? Something else would have been good.
>
> Also, the front of the car mode just doesn't great. There are a lot of parts that come together (the robot pelvis, the robot lower legs, the robot toes) but nothing really meshes together or forms a cohesive shape. The robot toes should have been made much larger so that they could form a solid-looking vehicle hood. As it stands, he just looks like he's missing a big piece. He's 2.75" from end to end.
>
> I know that Wheelie's cartoon transformation is basically impossible, and it's super hard to employ some of the usual cheats (like faux parts) at such a tiny scale. But, if the problem was a non-transforming Wheelie figure, and the solution was Hasbro going "okay, sorry, we'll do one that can turn into a car this time" then this doesn't seem like they really found the answer. There should have been more focus on getting the vehicle mode right this time. But, I mean, I guess there's still G1 Wheelie for that.
>
> I mean, he looks good from some angles. The top-down view is fine. The front-view is fine. The side view, though, is just awful.
>
> I will say that this one is substantially better than the Titans Return Wheelie, which was just a mess of parts that didn't lock together right. That toy would never stay in vehicle mode for more than a few seconds, and it fell apart as soon as you started casually handling it. So, there's that.

From what I've seen, I'm sticking with the TR Wheelie over the Studio. I know it's not perfect but at least it does have both modes rather than a robot and an almost car.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie

<f3ed1d16-6dcc-49b4-a0fa-09b6e1f5beadn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6814&group=alt.toys.transformers#6814

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:46:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:46 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 8:40:13 AM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> Was the one with SS Slag different from Grimlock? I got the Wheelie with Grimlock.

Oh, I'm being dumb. Grimlock came with Wheelie. It was Daniel that came with Slag.

> From what I've seen, I'm sticking with the TR Wheelie over the Studio. I know it's not perfect but at least it does have both modes rather than a robot and an almost car.

Honestly, that's a valid choice. I don't like the Titans Return version of Wheelie because the car mode falls apart so badly, but at least it IS a car. I really, sincerely, seriously can't believe Hasbro thought this toy was finished. I can't believe they thought it was ready to sell to consumers..

Zob (not even using hyperbole)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Studio Series '86 Core-Class Ratchet and Wheelie

<tfplkf$1vuh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6819&group=alt.toys.transformers#6819

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
and Wheelie
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:22:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:22 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 8:40:13 AM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
>> Was the one with SS Slag different from Grimlock? I got the Wheelie with Grimlock.
>
> Oh, I'm being dumb. Grimlock came with Wheelie. It was Daniel that came with Slag.
>
>> From what I've seen, I'm sticking with the TR Wheelie over the Studio. I
>> know it's not perfect but at least it does have both modes rather than a
>> robot and an almost car.
>
> Honestly, that's a valid choice. I don't like the Titans Return version
> of Wheelie because the car mode falls apart so badly, but at least it IS
> a car. I really, sincerely, seriously can't believe Hasbro thought this
> toy was finished. I can't believe they thought it was ready to sell to consumers.
>

> Zob (not even using hyperbole)

They aren’t going to make people realize that they actually do like Wheelie
if they keep releasing shitty toys of him.

The 2008 Legion class toy is… very small, and inaccurate, but a nice toy.