The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Skywasp thoughts a little late

SubjectAuthor
* Skywasp thoughts a little lateIrrellius Spamticon
+* Re: Skywasp thoughts a little lateGustavo Wombat
|`* Re: Skywasp thoughts a little lateZobovor
| `- Re: Skywasp thoughts a little lateGustavo Wombat
`* Re: Skywasp thoughts a little lateZobovor
 `- Re: Skywasp thoughts a little lateGustavo Wombat

1
Skywasp thoughts a little late

<c868539d-eafc-42d5-877c-48758fa5d88cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6874&group=alt.toys.transformers#6874

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 16:37:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Skywasp thoughts a little late
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 23:37 UTC

So wow, people don't want this gy to the tune of they'll buy the box set for $80 and sell off the Skywasp for $4. He's not THAT bad

Really though I do like the colors, and I didn't get Kingdom Waspinator.

He doesn't really beat the Thrilling 30 Waspinator mold, his arms don't seem to lock in nearly as securely in wasp mode, his wasp head and the rest of the torso don't want to lock together in any meaningful way for robot mode, but mine for some reason has a VERY tight pelvis, it gets jammed in the abdomen quite regularly. They still do next to nothing with the robot feet, and the thorax is still big but lost the wing flap gimmick.

The color scheme is quite nice, the gold instead of cheaping out with yellow works well with the black and purple. It reminds me of Gundam Astray Gold Frame Amatsu Mina.

Yes Skywasp was a dumb name when there are so many BW names we have yet to use, but at the same time inventive and not many others would fit the color scheme. His bio says teleport but his name lost the teleport link.

So yeah, he's a smaller T30 whose arms don't lock in wasp mode as well, but he is very pretty while doing it.

I wish these guys had extra head storage somewhere. His original BW iteration had extra head storage.

Re: Skywasp thoughts a little late

<tgpbkf$1ims$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6875&group=alt.toys.transformers#6875

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Skywasp thoughts a little late
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:47:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:47 UTC

Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1kenoby@att.net> wrote:
> So wow, people don't want this gy to the tune of they'll buy the box set
> for $80 and sell off the Skywasp for $4. He's not THAT bad

He really isn’t that bad.

> Really though I do like the colors, and I didn't get Kingdom Waspinator.

I picked up the Botcon (or whatever) Waruders a while back, because they
always appealed to me and I either saw them for cheap or just had a hole in
my life that I thought I could fill with plastic, and the corresponding
Parasite has been a favorite of mine. (Paralyzer, the Bug Bite homage, is
my favorite of the bunch, but given how toys are yellowing these days, it’s
probably best they decided to do the black one for the new toyline)

> He doesn't really beat the Thrilling 30 Waspinator mold, his arms don't
> seem to lock in nearly as securely in wasp mode, his wasp head and the
> rest of the torso don't want to lock together in any meaningful way for
> robot mode, but mine for some reason has a VERY tight pelvis, it gets
> jammed in the abdomen quite regularly. They still do next to nothing with
> the robot feet, and the thorax is still big but lost the wing flap gimmick.

If we never got Thrilling 30, this mold would be ok. Everything does lock
together, if you align everything perfectly, which requires knowing the
positions of parts that you cannot see. It’s not great, but I can see why
they thought it would work better than it does.

> The color scheme is quite nice, the gold instead of cheaping out with
> yellow works well with the black and purple. It reminds me of Gundam
> Astray Gold Frame Amatsu Mina.
>
> Yes Skywasp was a dumb name when there are so many BW names we have yet
> to use, but at the same time inventive and not many others would fit the
> color scheme. His bio says teleport but his name lost the teleport link.

It’s a great name. I don’t know why you’re complaining. It’s a name Skywarp
would come up with if he was a wasp — might be slightly too clever for him,
actually, but let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.

> So yeah, he's a smaller T30 whose arms don't lock in wasp mode as well,
> but he is very pretty while doing it.
>
> I wish these guys had extra head storage somewhere. His original BW
> iteration had extra head storage.

According to TFWiki, the Waspinator head is definitively not Skywarp. The
unsold Waruder sets were once going to be sold with spare heads and
Parasite with a more Skywarp head would be Skywasp. Apparently, the Botcon
OTFCC set I randomly wanted for ages was not popular and had lots of
leftovers.

Re: Skywasp thoughts a little late

<5b33d216-b0fd-4ccd-a8fd-b3ed7ce239fbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6883&group=alt.toys.transformers#6883

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:42:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 02:42 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:37:57 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> So wow, people don't want this guy to the tune of they'll buy the box set for $80 and sell off the Skywasp for $4. He's not THAT bad.

He's just not vital, and nobody is nostalgic about him. In a world where most of the Kingdom/Legacy toys have been either a G1 redo or a Beast Wars redo, there's just not a lot of draw for a toy that didn't exist in either toy line. Something like the FOX Kids! Waspinator redeco might have pressed the correct vintage nostalgia buttons, but not this.

Zob (my collection of inessential neo-Beast Wars toys severely outnumbers my essential ones)

Re: Skywasp thoughts a little late

<0bba8686-6c80-46c5-94b2-5adca002d955n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6884&group=alt.toys.transformers#6884

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 02:47 UTC

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 4:47:54 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> It’s a great name. I don’t know why you’re complaining. It’s a name Skywarp
> would come up with if he was a wasp — might be slightly too clever for him,
> actually, but let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.

Skywarp is a great name because it evokes mental imagery of a dimensional rift or something opening up in the air, which is precisely what Skywarp creates when he teleports from one point to another.

"Skywasp" is unimaginative and derivative. Like, as opposed to what? All those wasps that burrow through the ground or swim in the ocean? ALL wasps are sky wasps. It's like giving a Transformer the name Air Jet.

Also, within the context of the fiction, it raises questions. Is this the Beast Wars version of Skywarp? How is that possible, when he was transformed into Cyclonus hundreds of years before the Maximals and Predacons even existed?

Zob (has no tolerance for such silly shenanigans)

Re: Skywasp thoughts a little late

<tgu8lf$15cv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6885&group=alt.toys.transformers#6885

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 07:27:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 07:27 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 4:47:54 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> It’s a great name. I don’t know why you’re complaining. It’s a name Skywarp
>> would come up with if he was a wasp — might be slightly too clever for him,
>> actually, but let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.
>
> Skywarp is a great name because it evokes mental imagery of a dimensional
> rift or something opening up in the air, which is precisely what Skywarp
> creates when he teleports from one point to another.
>
> "Skywasp" is unimaginative and derivative. Like, as opposed to what?
> All those wasps that burrow through the ground or swim in the ocean? ALL
> wasps are sky wasps. It's like giving a Transformer the name Air Jet.

It’s derivative, sure, but it’s a pun you never considered. It’s
imaginative.

> Also, within the context of the fiction, it raises questions. Is this
> the Beast Wars version of Skywarp? How is that possible, when he was
> transformed into Cyclonus hundreds of years before the Maximals and
> Predacons even existed?

How was a BM Deluxe Jetstorm redeco as Skywarp possible? Does Cyclonus get
reverted back to Skywarp, and then get a BM Jetstorm body? Maybe!

Ok, Skywasp is the type of bug that thought Skywarp was great, and named
himself after his hero. There, continuity solved.

> Zob (has no tolerance for such silly shenanigans)

Silly shenanigans are the best shenanigans.

(100 times better than if they made him Shattered Glass Waspinator or
something…)

Re: Skywasp thoughts a little late

<tgu8li$15cv$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6886&group=alt.toys.transformers#6886

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 07:27:46 -0000 (UTC)

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 5:37:57 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
>> So wow, people don't want this guy to the tune of they'll buy the box
>> set for $80 and sell off the Skywasp for $4. He's not THAT bad.
>
> He's just not vital, and nobody is nostalgic about him. In a world where
> most of the Kingdom/Legacy toys have been either a G1 redo or a Beast
> Wars redo, there's just not a lot of draw for a toy that didn't exist in
> either toy line. Something like the FOX Kids! Waspinator redeco might
> have pressed the correct vintage nostalgia buttons, but not this.
>

> Zob (my collection of inessential neo-Beast Wars toys severely outnumbers
> my essential ones)

I kind of like the inessential toys more. There’s something fun about
poorly defined characters that you can give their own backstory and
personality to, and have them interact with the rest of the characters.

Sandstorm, Skywasp, and the rest are like IG-88 — really fun, until someone
defines an entire in canon storyline where they download their mind to take
over Death Star 2 right before it gets blown up. Create your own adventure.

Sandstorm might be a normal sized scorpion who transforms into a tiny
robot, who befriends an autistic child, and tries to persuade him to take
over the world and enslave humanity. Meanwhile, the kid’s parents are glad
he has taken such an interest in his little pet scorpion, and don’t realize
that their days are numbered. Wouldn’t that be fun?