"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

SubjectAuthor
* Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Zobovor
+* Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Travoltron
|`* Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Zobovor
| `- Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Travoltron
+* Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Irrellius Spamticon
|`* Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Zobovor
| `* Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Joseph Bardsley
|  `- Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Irrellius Spamticon
+* Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Gustavo Wombat
|`- Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Zobovor
`* Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Codigo Postal
 `- Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022Zobovor

1
Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<4c61ada5-7f68-4460-98fd-80c842573225n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6904&group=alt.toys.transformers#6904

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:15 UTC

The product reveals today were on their YouTube livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZHDR3ZBd8

They showed off the Core-class versions of Slag and Sludge. There will be six Dinobots and they are designed to combine together, using five-millimeter pegs. (Slag and Sludge form the upper torso.) Colors are based on the animated look. Sludge has wacky dinosaur legs hanging off the middle of his torso in robot mode. Not ideal. They also showed off the Core-class Soundblaster, nothing too remarkable.

Breakdown was revealed, a bit late as the Internet has already been talking about him, and arguing about him, for a little while now. Nothing was said about the huge backlash Breakdown is getting.

Scraphook is not a familiar Junkion motorcycle, but is a new design and character who turns into a tow truck. He's the new style of Weaponizer, so he can transform without partsforming, but then you can disassemble him and mount his arms, legs, etc. to other toys.

Armada Hot Shot. Yawn. It's pretty accurate to the 2003 version. No Mini-Con, though.

Needlenose is finally coming, and he's a double Targetmaster even at a Deluxe price point, which is amazing. The guys at Hasbro intimated the jet mode has a secret gimmick, and I wonder if it's got some Dreadwind pretooling and can combine into a super jet with some future version of Darkwing. Regardless, I'm so glad he's making his way to us finally.

Voyager-class toys include Leo Prime, looking like Leo Prime, and also Tarn.. Yawn again.

The PulseCon exclusive is the Alpha Trion and Orion Pax 2-pack, which also comes with Vector Sigma, available exclusively on Hasbro Pulse this afternoon.

I've gotten spoiled by all the great G1 updates of late. Now that they're doing more branching out and trying to do things like all-new characters or characters from other toy lines (Armada, etc.) I find myself less interested. Well, less money to spend on plastic toys, I suppose.

Zob (a little crestfallen, to be honest)

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<th7uup$inb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6906&group=alt.toys.transformers#6906

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:44:12 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 23:44 UTC

Some great ones in there.

I'm passing on Hot Shot, Tarn, and SG Soundwave.

I passed on the Junkion tow-truck and put in the "maybe I'll buy it if I
see it in-store" category.

I ordered everything else. I think this will be as good as it gets for
Alpha Trion and Orion Pax. I'd prefer new molds, but it doesn't seem
like that is ever going to happen. They do look good, unlike previous
remold/recolor attempts.

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<66455155-c874-4f99-88bd-f72a0dff0f0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6907&group=alt.toys.transformers#6907

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 23:51 UTC

On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 5:43:33 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:

> I ordered everything else. I think this will be as good as it gets for
> Alpha Trion and Orion Pax.

Agreed. So many fan customizers have used Scourge as the basis for an Alpha Trion project, and it seems like the logical choice based on his body design.

The PotP version of Optimus Prime actually wasn't a bad Orion Pax toy, but it was a bit large. I like that this new one is scaled correctly.

Remember the good old days when we had this big laundry list of G1 characters who had never gotten toys? Unicron, Arcee, Alpha Trion, etc.? We're getting to the point now where there's almost nobody they haven't covered.

Zob (and now Devcon is rumored to be coming... pretty sure he won't be a Beast Machines Vehicon redeco)

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<072ebe08-d726-4b67-bf85-4b40df6a16cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6909&group=alt.toys.transformers#6909

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 00:44 UTC

On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 3:15:01 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> The product reveals today were on their YouTube livestream:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZHDR3ZBd8
>
> They showed off the Core-class versions of Slag and Sludge. There will be six Dinobots and they are designed to combine together, using five-millimeter pegs. (Slag and Sludge form the upper torso.) Colors are based on the animated look. Sludge has wacky dinosaur legs hanging off the middle of his torso in robot mode. Not ideal. They also showed off the Core-class Soundblaster, nothing too remarkable.
>
> Breakdown was revealed, a bit late as the Internet has already been talking about him, and arguing about him, for a little while now. Nothing was said about the huge backlash Breakdown is getting.
>
> Scraphook is not a familiar Junkion motorcycle, but is a new design and character who turns into a tow truck. He's the new style of Weaponizer, so he can transform without partsforming, but then you can disassemble him and mount his arms, legs, etc. to other toys.
>
> Armada Hot Shot. Yawn. It's pretty accurate to the 2003 version. No Mini-Con, though.
>
> Needlenose is finally coming, and he's a double Targetmaster even at a Deluxe price point, which is amazing. The guys at Hasbro intimated the jet mode has a secret gimmick, and I wonder if it's got some Dreadwind pretooling and can combine into a super jet with some future version of Darkwing. Regardless, I'm so glad he's making his way to us finally.
>
> Voyager-class toys include Leo Prime, looking like Leo Prime, and also Tarn. Yawn again.
>
> The PulseCon exclusive is the Alpha Trion and Orion Pax 2-pack, which also comes with Vector Sigma, available exclusively on Hasbro Pulse this afternoon.
>
> I've gotten spoiled by all the great G1 updates of late. Now that they're doing more branching out and trying to do things like all-new characters or characters from other toy lines (Armada, etc.) I find myself less interested. Well, less money to spend on plastic toys, I suppose.
>

> Zob (a little crestfallen, to be honest)

Some of the graphics show the Armada Prime, so we can probably expect him in Evolutions.

The Tarn box images say the weapons do some kind of fusion as the "evolutions" gimmick

Was hoping for more G2 this announcement

MTG jumped the gun and revealed part of the Magic: The Gathering set Hasbro was supposed to reveal tomorrow.

Probably getting Tarn and the core Dinobots. The core Dinobots look like trash individually and Grimlock the biggest as a limb might throw some things off, so I'll probably never un-combine them.

I don't know why Needlenose would combine with Dreadwiing.

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<th89tv$1qdg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6910&group=alt.toys.transformers#6910

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:51:30 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 02:51 UTC

On 9/30/2022 4:51 PM, Zobovor wrote:
> Zob (and now Devcon is rumored to be coming

Oh, for real? It's about time! I don't count those slapdash BotCon
redecos. This would be the first real Devcon toy.

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<th8t3e$1b0l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6911&group=alt.toys.transformers#6911

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 08:17:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 08:17 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> The product reveals today were on their YouTube livestream:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZHDR3ZBd8
>
> They showed off the Core-class versions of Slag and Sludge. There will
> be six Dinobots and they are designed to combine together, using
> five-millimeter pegs. (Slag and Sludge form the upper torso.) Colors
> are based on the animated look. Sludge has wacky dinosaur legs hanging
> off the middle of his torso in robot mode. Not ideal. They also showed
> off the Core-class Soundblaster, nothing too remarkable.

Not sure I want the tiny Dinobots, but they are very small Dinobots… baby
Dinobots. Yeah, I’ll get them.

> Breakdown was revealed, a bit late as the Internet has already been
> talking about him, and arguing about him, for a little while now.
> Nothing was said about the huge backlash Breakdown is getting.

Do we trust Hasbro to make a white toy that doesn’t yellow immediately?
(Hmm, I might want to sell off my Star Saber as soon as it arrives or
something.)

> Scraphook is not a familiar Junkion motorcycle, but is a new design and
> character who turns into a tow truck. He's the new style of Weaponizer,
> so he can transform without partsforming, but then you can disassemble
> him and mount his arms, legs, etc. to other toys.

Scrappy looks great. I wish the Junkions had more color schemes though.

> Armada Hot Shot. Yawn. It's pretty accurate to the 2003 version. No Mini-Con, though.

The car mode looks like it was stepped on. But he does have shoulders. And
it’s not a bad car, just a bit inauthentic. And there are suggestions of an
Armada Optimus…

> Needlenose is finally coming, and he's a double Targetmaster even at a
> Deluxe price point, which is amazing. The guys at Hasbro intimated the
> jet mode has a secret gimmick, and I wonder if it's got some Dreadwind
> pretooling and can combine into a super jet with some future version of
> Darkwing. Regardless, I'm so glad he's making his way to us finally.

I have no idea who Needlenose is. Looks pretty decent though.

> Voyager-class toys include Leo Prime, looking like Leo Prime, and also Tarn. Yawn again.

Tarn is preposterous. I will definitely get him.

> The PulseCon exclusive is the Alpha Trion and Orion Pax 2-pack, which
> also comes with Vector Sigma, available exclusively on Hasbro Pulse this afternoon.

And there is a Shattered Glass Soundwave, for those who want to brave the
likelihood of yellowing. I hear the Shattered Glass Starscreams are mostly
yellow now.

> Zob (a little crestfallen, to be honest)

I think Hot Shot will be immune from yellowing.

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<7c811472-1761-4747-b3be-673e4b8b81c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6912&group=alt.toys.transformers#6912

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 08:07:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 15:07 UTC

On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 2:17:52 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Not sure I want the tiny Dinobots, but they are very small Dinobots… baby
> Dinobots. Yeah, I’ll get them.

They're utterly inessential, what with the Leader-class toys coming, but they're so darn cute. Irresistable.

> Do we trust Hasbro to make a white toy that doesn’t yellow immediately?

I mean, Breakdown was always a little bit yellowish already.

> I have no idea who Needlenose is. Looks pretty decent though.

In Marvel Comics, he spent a lot of time hanging out with Thunderwing as part of his elite posse. If the new design for the double Targetmasters is good, then they could be a good template for updates to Landfill, Quickmix, maybe a new Quake. I don't feel like Scoop needs to be redone, because the 2014 version is quite good, but maybe they could bring him back and throw him in a current toy line, with new packaging and updated gun partners. Same with Spinister.

> And there is a Shattered Glass Soundwave, for those who want to brave the
> likelihood of yellowing. I hear the Shattered Glass Starscreams are mostly
> yellow now.

This feels like a slap in the face to fans who have been waiting for the Netflix Soundwave toy to be reissued.

> I think Hot Shot will be immune from yellowing.

I think yellowing will make him stronger and more powerful.

Zob

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<0831bbff-d59a-47d6-a69f-12ef6ac73d38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6914&group=alt.toys.transformers#6914

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 08:12:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 15:12 UTC

On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 6:44:20 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> I don't know why Needlenose would combine with Dreadwiing.

No, I was thinking that his toy might be reused as Dreadwind, since they both turn into the same type of jet. The robot mode for Needlenose wouldn't be right for Dreadwind, but without having handled it yet, it's hard to say.. Maybe they can rejigger the transformation so that the jet nose ends up on the chest.

I was just speculating that maybe the secret gimmick for the Needlenose jet mode that they were alluding to was being able to combine with another jet.. But, it really could be anything.

Zob (get hip or get hit!)

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<0a004cd9-7ad4-443d-bbae-03c9ea9a437bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6915&group=alt.toys.transformers#6915

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 18:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 01:44 UTC

Thanks, Zob. A great analysis, as always.

Why is the new Breakdown controversial already? I've evidently missed a memo...

Hope everyone is doing well,

JB

On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 8:12:57 AM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 6:44:20 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
> > I don't know why Needlenose would combine with Dreadwiing.
> No, I was thinking that his toy might be reused as Dreadwind, since they both turn into the same type of jet. The robot mode for Needlenose wouldn't be right for Dreadwind, but without having handled it yet, it's hard to say. Maybe they can rejigger the transformation so that the jet nose ends up on the chest.
>
> I was just speculating that maybe the secret gimmick for the Needlenose jet mode that they were alluding to was being able to combine with another jet. But, it really could be anything.
>

> Zob (get hip or get hit!)

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<00f47399-ab4e-4a9d-b4cf-bffcc7168efcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6917&group=alt.toys.transformers#6917

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 07:18:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 14:18 UTC

On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 8:44:21 PM UTC-5, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> Thanks, Zob. A great analysis, as always.
>
> Why is the new Breakdown controversial already? I've evidently missed a memo...
>
> Hope everyone is doing well,
>
> JB

He's not a traditional Lamborghini, he's Wild Rider in white. They slightly remolded the back but left the front of a Ferarri on him.

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<be549d38-247d-46ee-add2-6f052ab2a675n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6918&group=alt.toys.transformers#6918

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:32:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:32 UTC

On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 4:15:01 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> The product reveals today were on their YouTube livestream:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZHDR3ZBd8
>
> They showed off the Core-class versions of Slag and Sludge. There will be six Dinobots and they are designed to combine together, using five-millimeter pegs. (Slag and Sludge form the upper torso.) Colors are based on the animated look. Sludge has wacky dinosaur legs hanging off the middle of his torso in robot mode. Not ideal. They also showed off the Core-class Soundblaster, nothing too remarkable.
>
> Breakdown was revealed, a bit late as the Internet has already been talking about him, and arguing about him, for a little while now. Nothing was said about the huge backlash Breakdown is getting.
>
> Scraphook is not a familiar Junkion motorcycle, but is a new design and character who turns into a tow truck. He's the new style of Weaponizer, so he can transform without partsforming, but then you can disassemble him and mount his arms, legs, etc. to other toys.
>
> Armada Hot Shot. Yawn. It's pretty accurate to the 2003 version. No Mini-Con, though.
>
> Needlenose is finally coming, and he's a double Targetmaster even at a Deluxe price point, which is amazing. The guys at Hasbro intimated the jet mode has a secret gimmick, and I wonder if it's got some Dreadwind pretooling and can combine into a super jet with some future version of Darkwing. Regardless, I'm so glad he's making his way to us finally.
>
> Voyager-class toys include Leo Prime, looking like Leo Prime, and also Tarn. Yawn again.
>
> The PulseCon exclusive is the Alpha Trion and Orion Pax 2-pack, which also comes with Vector Sigma, available exclusively on Hasbro Pulse this afternoon.
>
> I've gotten spoiled by all the great G1 updates of late. Now that they're doing more branching out and trying to do things like all-new characters or characters from other toy lines (Armada, etc.) I find myself less interested. Well, less money to spend on plastic toys, I suppose.
>

> Zob (a little crestfallen, to be honest)

I wonder if this is the brand testing a new direction for the near future: random G1 updates, and a stronger focus on the new nostalgia line: the Unicron Trilogy.

We've gotten great updates for almost all essential characters in WfC, with a only handful of stragglers. Core Class versions seem designed to get us to buy them all over again (why they're not compatible with an Ark playset is beyond me).

I'm interested in Tarn - just because he's a cool design. I've no connection to the character (he's a James Roberts creation that figured prominently in IDW's MTMTE/LL books, but as much as I enjoyed the series, Tarn never left that deep an impression on me). I normally only like the toys as 3D representations of a beloved media character, so this will be a new one for me.

Same goes for Hot Shot - I'll pick him up since he's one of the stars of the brand, a next gen Bumblebee/Hot Rod, but I'll be darned if I know anything about him.

Re: Transformers Reveals from Hasbro PulseCon 2022

<0cb1cf43-ca0f-419f-b822-ab3129aad281n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6919&group=alt.toys.transformers#6919

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 15:14:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 22:14 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 12:32:28 PM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:

> I wonder if this is the brand testing a new direction for the near future: random G1 updates, and a stronger focus on the new nostalgia line: the Unicron Trilogy.

I imagine you're right. It looks like the whiners and the complainers who were incessantly bitching about the "endless G1 snorefest" will finally have their day. And I'll have more disposable income to spend on Ninja Turtles.

> We've gotten great updates for almost all essential characters in WfC, with a only handful of stragglers. Core Class versions seem designed to get us to buy them all over again (why they're not compatible with an Ark playset is beyond me).

I imagine Hasbro probably perceives the Core class as their entry-level product, being a simpler toy at a lower price point. During much of Siege and Earthrise, if you wanted an inexpensive Transformer, basically you got a Battlemaster or a Micromaster 2-pack. Cool toys, certainly, but nobody notable or interesting from the mythos. And, geting a tiny robot that turns into a gun is more of an add-on purchase for your collection of larger, better toys.

Now, kids can actually get Optimus Prime or Megatron or Starscream or whoever at the entry-level price point, which potentially primes them (no pun intended) for larger and more expensive purchases down the road. It's probably a better long-term plan to sucker in lifelong fans, which is of course their ultimate goal.

Zob (spent all day helping to inventory prep at my first Walmart store, and has officially come full circle)