From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Cursed Studies By Eva Chase
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:27:27 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 02:27 UTC

Buffy the Vampire Slayer's central conceit was that school was hell.
Cursed Studies takes that conceit to another level. All of the students
at Rosebourne Academy are in a hell on Earth, supernaturally trapped in
a faux educational establishment that exists only to torment them and
only our heroine has a chance of freeing them from their damnation.

In short, it's melodramatic as hell, but kind of ingenious and better
than most of it's ilk.

Re: Cursed Studies By Eva Chase

<j6gqgeF98rpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69010&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69010

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Cursed Studies By Eva Chase
Date: 9 Feb 2022 03:25:02 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 03:25 UTC

In article <stv8qg$nit$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Buffy the Vampire Slayer's central conceit was that school was hell.
>Cursed Studies takes that conceit to another level. All of the students
>at Rosebourne Academy are in a hell on Earth, supernaturally trapped in
>a faux educational establishment that exists only to torment them and
>only our heroine has a chance of freeing them from their damnation.
>
>In short, it's melodramatic as hell, but kind of ingenious and better
>than most of it's ilk.

Steffanie Holmes did something along those lines in her
"Kings of Miskatonic Prep" series

Chase did a "modern Sherlock Holmes, but Moriarity is a beautiful woman"
RH series that went on a bit long, but was not bad.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Cursed Studies By Eva Chase

<stvtm0$19rk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69018&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69018

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 01:23:27 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 08:23 UTC

On 2022-02-08 8:25 p.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <stv8qg$nit$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Buffy the Vampire Slayer's central conceit was that school was hell.
>> Cursed Studies takes that conceit to another level. All of the students
>> at Rosebourne Academy are in a hell on Earth, supernaturally trapped in
>> a faux educational establishment that exists only to torment them and
>> only our heroine has a chance of freeing them from their damnation.
>>
>> In short, it's melodramatic as hell, but kind of ingenious and better
>> than most of it's ilk.
>
> Steffanie Holmes did something along those lines in her
> "Kings of Miskatonic Prep" series

Yes. Same basic idea, but better execution, I thought.

> Chase did a "modern Sherlock Holmes, but Moriarity is a beautiful woman"
> RH series that went on a bit long, but was not bad.

Re: Cursed Studies By Eva Chase

<j6ht43FfovpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69024&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69024

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 9 Feb 2022 13:15:48 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 13:15 UTC

In article <stvtm0$19rk$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2022-02-08 8:25 p.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <stv8qg$nit$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Buffy the Vampire Slayer's central conceit was that school was hell.
>>> Cursed Studies takes that conceit to another level. All of the students
>>> at Rosebourne Academy are in a hell on Earth, supernaturally trapped in
>>> a faux educational establishment that exists only to torment them and
>>> only our heroine has a chance of freeing them from their damnation.
>>>
>>> In short, it's melodramatic as hell, but kind of ingenious and better
>>> than most of it's ilk.
>>
>> Steffanie Holmes did something along those lines in her
>> "Kings of Miskatonic Prep" series
>
>Yes. Same basic idea, but better execution, I thought.

You're saying Chase was better, right? I thought Holmes's was a good
elevator pitch idea but with clunky execution.

--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Cursed Studies By Eva Chase

<su2cgu$1gih$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69060&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69060

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:49:01 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 06:49 UTC

On 2022-02-09 6:15 a.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <stvtm0$19rk$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-02-08 8:25 p.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> Steffanie Holmes did something along those lines in her
>>> "Kings of Miskatonic Prep" series
>>
>> Yes. Same basic idea, but better execution, I thought.
>
> You're saying Chase was better, right? I thought Holmes's was a good
> elevator pitch idea but with clunky execution.

Yes I'm saying Chase did it better. I found myself getting bored during
Miskatonic Prep. Incidentally I just went through Holmes's Amazon
catalog and the closed she gets there to modern day Sherlock Holmes is
the one with the magic bookshop that gives the owner a harem of
fictional villains that includes James Moriarity.