Ad astra per aspera. [To the stars by aspiration.]

interests / alt.toys.transformers / This long weekend's surprising TF find

SubjectAuthor
* This long weekend's surprising TF findJoseph Bardsley
+- Re: This long weekend's surprising TF findZobovor
`* Re: This long weekend's surprising TF findCodigo Postal
 `* Re: This long weekend's surprising TF findJoseph Bardsley
  `* Re: This long weekend's surprising TF findCodigo Postal
   `* Re: This long weekend's surprising TF findIrrellius Spamticon
    `* Re: This long weekend's surprising TF findZobovor
     `* This long weekend's surprising TF findIrrellius Spamticon
      `- Re: This long weekend's surprising TF findJoseph Bardsley

1
This long weekend's surprising TF find

<fafc76ec-c39d-4aba-8c48-266e7a22d7een@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6929&group=alt.toys.transformers#6929

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: This long weekend's surprising TF find
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:43 UTC

Here in Canada, it's Thanksgiving. Yay long weekends and food.

I have been making a habit of going to the Vancouver Flea Market for the past 15 years or so. It's big, loud, overcrowded, and often overwhelming, and COVID has not been kind to its business plan or vendors. But, they've been making a return over the past year or so - more vendors, more items, and activity - and I continue to try and support it whenever I can.

There's a guy there, about my age, who has been selling action figures for ages. Mostly TMNT, some Star Wars, and also Power Rangers. Today, he surprised me by having - at complete random, after no prior examples I can recall - exactly two G1 toys. Blades and Breakdown. Blades was in pretty nice shape - some sticker wear, and loose rotors - but was surprisingly complete. Breakdown was quite yellowed and faded from a sticker perspective, but came with his large blue double-barrelled vehicle cannon. Decent joints; no breakage.

I was happy to pay $10 for the pair. I don't currently own a Blades, and I just didn't want to take him and leave Breakdown behind. Now they both live with me. I asked the guy where they had come from, and he mentioned that he had found them as part of a small estate sale recently - but, curiously - just the two of them.

Feeling happy, and, well, thankful today for unexpected wins like this. How common is it to find G1 on the secondary market in "real life"?

Hope everyone is doing well,

Joseph

Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find

<ac5bc6a5-e300-4798-9407-2d445cbcdcf5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6932&group=alt.toys.transformers#6932

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 00:45 UTC

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 7:43:03 PM UTC-6, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> I was happy to pay $10 for the pair. I don't currently own a Blades, and I just didn't want to take him and leave Breakdown behind. Now they both live with me. I asked the guy where they had come from, and he mentioned that he had found them as part of a small estate sale recently - but, curiously - just the two of them.

Acquisitions of the vintage flavor are always a welcome one. Blades and Breakdown are both fun little toys.

> Feeling happy, and, well, thankful today for unexpected wins like this. How common is it to find G1 on the secondary market in "real life"?

Not counting toy shops and the like that specialize in such things, and of course excluding eBay, I'd say it's incredibly rare.

Last year, after my wife's parents passed away, we were tasked with cleaning out the house and getting it ready for sale. Her brothers often spoke of treasures that were likely hidden somewhere in the place, possibly the garage—boxes of their childhood toys, stuffed full of He-Man and Star Wars and, yes, Transformers that had likely been in storage for decades. (She showed me a Christmas photo from 1984 or 1985 and I spotted a Sunstreaker box, so I know these toys existed!) I would have helped with the house anyway, but I'd be lying if I said the prospect of a toy box full of 1980's era treasures didn't appeal to me. We gutted the entire place, though, including the garage, and never found them. In retrospect, her parents could have thrown them away ages ago. We'll never know for sure.

We're living in that house now, and there's one box I can't get to. It's in a crawl space under the porch. I'm a little scared to climb all the way back there. So many spider webs. So many spiders. But, I'll probably brave it some day. Just not today. Maybe it's filled with toys. Maybe it's empty. Right now, it's Schrödinger's box. It contains all 383 G1 Transformers, and also contains nothing, all at the same time!

Also, a few years ago I had a co-worker who found out I was into Transformers, and she mentioned that her now-adult son had moved out but that he'd left behind a whole box full of Transformers. I was interested, of course, but I tried to play it cool. It took her a few times to remember, but she finally brought the box to work. Guess what was in it? No, go ahead and guess. Power Rangers toys. I suppose not everybody can identify Transformers on sight. I thanked her for her generosity, and I think I was able to use a couple of them for custom projects, so it wasn't a total loss. But, it was a bit of a let-down. Zords are not the same as Autobots, dammit.

Zob (I've found that karma has a way of rewarding me while simultaneously biting me in the ass)

Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find

<2854c247-18aa-4390-b8ce-7ffeeef67309n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6936&group=alt.toys.transformers#6936

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 21:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 04:02 UTC

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 9:43:03 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> Here in Canada, it's Thanksgiving. Yay long weekends and food.
>
> I have been making a habit of going to the Vancouver Flea Market for the past 15 years or so. It's big, loud, overcrowded, and often overwhelming, and COVID has not been kind to its business plan or vendors. But, they've been making a return over the past year or so - more vendors, more items, and activity - and I continue to try and support it whenever I can.
>
> There's a guy there, about my age, who has been selling action figures for ages. Mostly TMNT, some Star Wars, and also Power Rangers. Today, he surprised me by having - at complete random, after no prior examples I can recall - exactly two G1 toys. Blades and Breakdown. Blades was in pretty nice shape - some sticker wear, and loose rotors - but was surprisingly complete. Breakdown was quite yellowed and faded from a sticker perspective, but came with his large blue double-barrelled vehicle cannon. Decent joints; no breakage.
>
> I was happy to pay $10 for the pair. I don't currently own a Blades, and I just didn't want to take him and leave Breakdown behind. Now they both live with me. I asked the guy where they had come from, and he mentioned that he had found them as part of a small estate sale recently - but, curiously - just the two of them.
>
> Feeling happy, and, well, thankful today for unexpected wins like this. How common is it to find G1 on the secondary market in "real life"?
>
> Hope everyone is doing well,
>
> Joseph

Happy Thanksgiving! And glad you could give Breakdown a home. I'd assume at this stage, 40 years on, that most G1 finds its way to eBay or to a dedicated TF convention, but I'd love to stumble across these in real life. Someone with a good lawyer should stock a pop up store full of Zhong Jin G1 'reissues' for the holidays. The sight of a wall full of pristine, mint G1 goodness in real life would be epic.

Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find

<2fa50675-4045-41c2-8d1a-fdf748d9dad0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6942&group=alt.toys.transformers#6942

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:29:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 03:29 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 9:02:35 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
> On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 9:43:03 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> > Here in Canada, it's Thanksgiving. Yay long weekends and food.
> >
> > I have been making a habit of going to the Vancouver Flea Market for the past 15 years or so. It's big, loud, overcrowded, and often overwhelming, and COVID has not been kind to its business plan or vendors. But, they've been making a return over the past year or so - more vendors, more items, and activity - and I continue to try and support it whenever I can.
> >
> > There's a guy there, about my age, who has been selling action figures for ages. Mostly TMNT, some Star Wars, and also Power Rangers. Today, he surprised me by having - at complete random, after no prior examples I can recall - exactly two G1 toys. Blades and Breakdown. Blades was in pretty nice shape - some sticker wear, and loose rotors - but was surprisingly complete. Breakdown was quite yellowed and faded from a sticker perspective, but came with his large blue double-barrelled vehicle cannon. Decent joints; no breakage.
> >
> > I was happy to pay $10 for the pair. I don't currently own a Blades, and I just didn't want to take him and leave Breakdown behind. Now they both live with me. I asked the guy where they had come from, and he mentioned that he had found them as part of a small estate sale recently - but, curiously - just the two of them.
> >
> > Feeling happy, and, well, thankful today for unexpected wins like this. How common is it to find G1 on the secondary market in "real life"?
> >
> > Hope everyone is doing well,
> >
> > Joseph
> Happy Thanksgiving! And glad you could give Breakdown a home. I'd assume at this stage, 40 years on, that most G1 finds its way to eBay or to a dedicated TF convention, but I'd love to stumble across these in real life. Someone with a good lawyer should stock a pop up store full of Zhong Jin G1 'reissues' for the holidays. The sight of a wall full of pristine, mint G1 goodness in real life would be epic.

Thanks for this! I appreciate it.

One thing I find interesting about your comment, Codigo: is it really that rare to find G1 toys these days out the "wild" (i.e., not online, but in actual, brick and mortar stores)? What about hobby and collectible shops? (Here in the Vancouver area, there are a few, and they often have at least a few G1 items around - albeit at variable prices).

JB

Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find

<1d9f6455-2fd4-4b07-afb5-09ad6680e02bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6943&group=alt.toys.transformers#6943

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 17:59:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 00:59 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 11:29:44 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 9:02:35 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 9:43:03 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> > > Here in Canada, it's Thanksgiving. Yay long weekends and food.
> > >
> > > I have been making a habit of going to the Vancouver Flea Market for the past 15 years or so. It's big, loud, overcrowded, and often overwhelming, and COVID has not been kind to its business plan or vendors. But, they've been making a return over the past year or so - more vendors, more items, and activity - and I continue to try and support it whenever I can.
> > >
> > > There's a guy there, about my age, who has been selling action figures for ages. Mostly TMNT, some Star Wars, and also Power Rangers. Today, he surprised me by having - at complete random, after no prior examples I can recall - exactly two G1 toys. Blades and Breakdown. Blades was in pretty nice shape - some sticker wear, and loose rotors - but was surprisingly complete. Breakdown was quite yellowed and faded from a sticker perspective, but came with his large blue double-barrelled vehicle cannon. Decent joints; no breakage.
> > >
> > > I was happy to pay $10 for the pair. I don't currently own a Blades, and I just didn't want to take him and leave Breakdown behind. Now they both live with me. I asked the guy where they had come from, and he mentioned that he had found them as part of a small estate sale recently - but, curiously - just the two of them.
> > >
> > > Feeling happy, and, well, thankful today for unexpected wins like this. How common is it to find G1 on the secondary market in "real life"?
> > >
> > > Hope everyone is doing well,
> > >
> > > Joseph
> > Happy Thanksgiving! And glad you could give Breakdown a home. I'd assume at this stage, 40 years on, that most G1 finds its way to eBay or to a dedicated TF convention, but I'd love to stumble across these in real life. Someone with a good lawyer should stock a pop up store full of Zhong Jin G1 'reissues' for the holidays. The sight of a wall full of pristine, mint G1 goodness in real life would be epic.
> Thanks for this! I appreciate it.
>
> One thing I find interesting about your comment, Codigo: is it really that rare to find G1 toys these days out the "wild" (i.e., not online, but in actual, brick and mortar stores)? What about hobby and collectible shops? (Here in the Vancouver area, there are a few, and they often have at least a few G1 items around - albeit at variable prices).
>
> JB

I'd have to defer to our resident experts on the hobby and collectible shop side; I didn't start seriously collecting until the pandemic started, so it's mostly been online for me. I'd love to find a hobby shop with G1 toys in mint(-ish) condition. The local Walmart is a bit of a shambles, sadly, and I've never seen a G1 reissue in person. Hopefully I'll be able to hunt down the new reissued Hot Rod...

Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find

<3a414a6c-bc07-4064-a58e-21255cc58906n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6945&group=alt.toys.transformers#6945

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 19:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 02:23 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 7:59:21 PM UTC-5, Codigo Postal wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 11:29:44 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:

> > > Happy Thanksgiving! And glad you could give Breakdown a home. I'd assume at this stage, 40 years on, that most G1 finds its way to eBay or to a dedicated TF convention, but I'd love to stumble across these in real life. Someone with a good lawyer should stock a pop up store full of Zhong Jin G1 'reissues' for the holidays. The sight of a wall full of pristine, mint G1 goodness in real life would be epic.
> > Thanks for this! I appreciate it.
> >
> > One thing I find interesting about your comment, Codigo: is it really that rare to find G1 toys these days out the "wild" (i.e., not online, but in actual, brick and mortar stores)? What about hobby and collectible shops? (Here in the Vancouver area, there are a few, and they often have at least a few G1 items around - albeit at variable prices).
> >
> > JB
> I'd have to defer to our resident experts on the hobby and collectible shop side; I didn't start seriously collecting until the pandemic started, so it's mostly been online for me. I'd love to find a hobby shop with G1 toys in mint(-ish) condition. The local Walmart is a bit of a shambles, sadly, and I've never seen a G1 reissue in person. Hopefully I'll be able to hunt down the new reissued Hot Rod...
I work at one of about 12 shops in the area that buy people's old childhood toys. I see G1 toys come in probably 3 or 4 times a month. Someone traded in a pristine working Trypticon that's nicer than my personal one, along with Springer, Jetfire, Metroplex, Ultra Magnus, 4 of 5 Dinobots, and our currently 5th Powermaster Prime. Hobby/vintage toy shops are the places to look for. Most are small and unassuming. Back in the 90s I'd get my G1 toys at the local antique mall, and they occasionally have a few G1s too.

The Jetfire, Metroplex and Skystriker were whiter than current Vintage Collection Star Wars Stormtroopers.

Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find

<943db204-ea13-4c25-b170-28edfdf7b707n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6947&group=alt.toys.transformers#6947

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 17:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 00:21 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 8:23:24 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> Hobby/vintage toy shops are the places to look for. Most are small and unassuming. Back in the 90s I'd get my G1 toys at the local antique mall, and they occasionally have a few G1s too.

Honestly, I tend to disagree. Pretty much all the toy shops I've ever visited significantly overcharge. They think they're sitting on a gold mine, but gold is worth nothing if you can't sell it.

For the first time since the REGENERATION ONE comics were being published, I stopped by the local comic shop here in town. My daughter was bored and jonesing for something to do, and she specifically mentioned wanting to go window shopping so I figured we'd check it out. It's moved like three times so I have so much trouble finding it.

Anyway, they were charging absolutely insane prices for, well, pretty much everything. They had a Droids action figure of R2-D2 from 1985. They said it was a thousand dollars and I thought they were making a joke. They were not making a joke. Their set of Matchbox Voltron lions was also $1000. Their G1 Jetfire was $1000. They had a set of Giant TMNT (which is my current fascination) and you'll never believe how much they wanted for each one.. Well, it was a trick question, because they were selling them only as a set. One thousand dollars.

So, uh, I didn't buy anything there. There are much, much better prices on eBay, honestly. And, also, this specific shop has always been this way. It's existed in town for a long time (I was writing posts here complaining about their prices two decades ago), but I honestly don't know how they even manage to stay afloat.

Zob (like, we live in a world where you can get an authentic Droids R2-D2 reproduction for $40.... maybe not the real thing, but good enough for my display shelf)

This long weekend's surprising TF find

<f2ee8a3b-a485-4744-ba7f-ac9987c9094an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6950&group=alt.toys.transformers#6950

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 19:04:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 02:04 UTC

On Friday, October 14, 2022 at 7:21:45 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 8:23:24 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
> > Hobby/vintage toy shops are the places to look for. Most are small and unassuming. Back in the 90s I'd get my G1 toys at the local antique mall, and they occasionally have a few G1s too.
> Honestly, I tend to disagree. Pretty much all the toy shops I've ever visited significantly overcharge. They think they're sitting on a gold mine, but gold is worth nothing if you can't sell it.
>
> For the first time since the REGENERATION ONE comics were being published, I stopped by the local comic shop here in town. My daughter was bored and jonesing for something to do, and she specifically mentioned wanting to go window shopping so I figured we'd check it out. It's moved like three times so I have so much trouble finding it.
>
> Anyway, they were charging absolutely insane prices for, well, pretty much everything. They had a Droids action figure of R2-D2 from 1985. They said it was a thousand dollars and I thought they were making a joke. They were not making a joke. Their set of Matchbox Voltron lions was also $1000. Their G1 Jetfire was $1000. They had a set of Giant TMNT (which is my current fascination) and you'll never believe how much they wanted for each one. Well, it was a trick question, because they were selling them only as a set. One thousand dollars.
>
> So, uh, I didn't buy anything there. There are much, much better prices on eBay, honestly. And, also, this specific shop has always been this way. It's existed in town for a long time (I was writing posts here complaining about their prices two decades ago), but I honestly don't know how they even manage to stay afloat.
>

> Zob (like, we live in a world where you can get an authentic Droids R2-D2 reproduction for $40.... maybe not the real thing, but good enough for my display shelf)

Holy heck. We had a boxed pristine Jetfire and it was $650, (inserts, paperwork, everything very clean) or $225 for a good condition loose Jetfire missing 1 leg clip (but still has paperwork and specs). The 1/4th scale turtles are about $140 each boxed, $110 each open box, or $525 for a set of 4 boxed. The Revenge of the Jedi (Not Return, but the Revenge card) of C-3PO from 1982(83?) was $200. The Droids carded retro R2-D2 reissues are $12, because we're undercutting Target's $15 while scalpers are buying them up to have them languish unsold on Ebay for $30. .

That store is drunk. The comic store around here that charges $34 for $25 Marvel legends only manages to sell their figures during a sale.

I guess having so much competition in town (and 8 toy conventions a year) keeps the prices down. The guys who go to deal at the shows think everything they own is solid gold set up next to the guys who operate like a flea market stall and their prices drop fast. Those dealers pay $35/table fr that show. We went to Comic-con, the formerly wizard-world one, and laughed at the prices most of those dealers were charging there. It's a thousand bucks to get a stall at wizard world, but even those dealers that travel around the country weren't charging a thousand dollars for anything. Most were just $10-25 higher than it should be. But at least that's understandable.

We used to have a guy who would refuse to sell specific things if people asked about them, saying it was part of the store decor. He doesn't work there anymore. Maybe these guys felt they needed something cool for people to look at but didn't want to actually sell certain items as draw-in options. Of course now that I have the freedom to I'll sell the cash register for the right offer. I already sold one of the USS Flagg that we didn't have an official price on before. Just 1.8 more to get out of here.

Re: This long weekend's surprising TF find

<545b4d6e-81c0-4b9e-b316-876e1a6ab5c1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6961&group=alt.toys.transformers#6961

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 00:33:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 07:33 UTC

So cool to hear individual accounts like these. Thank you for the memories, and the perspectives on where toys are at these days!

JB