You know you have a small apartment when Rice Krispies echo. -- S. Rickly Christian

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

SubjectAuthor
* From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Lynn McGuire
+* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Michael F. Stemper
|`* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| +- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"peterwezeman@hotmail.com
| `* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Thomas Koenig
|  `- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Scott Lurndal
+* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Robert Carnegie
|`- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"peterwezeman@hotmail.com
+* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Thomas Koenig
|+- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Dimensional Traveler
|`* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Magewolf
| +- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"peterwezeman@hotmail.com
| +- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Thomas Koenig
| `- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Robert Carnegie
`* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Default User
 +* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Bice
 |`- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"peterwezeman@hotmail.com
 `* Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `- Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"Robert Carnegie

1
From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<surfam$mr0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69390&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69390

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:10:09 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 19:10 UTC

From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".

"Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
"figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
nipped in the butt years ago! It's not the only English foe par that
makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position. I'm biting my
time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons. I'm
certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they studied
math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera - but I
won't let them off scotch free! I know, I know, your probably thinking
its a mute point and irreverant in today's society. Supposedly, today's
youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking correctly, what with
social media and all. I have no illusions, it will probably be a waist
of time and I won't win a metal for it..."

Lynn

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<surh55$puh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69391&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69391

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:41:25 -0600
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 19:41 UTC

On 19/02/2022 13.10, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>
> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say "figuratively."  This misuse of the English language should have been nipped in the butt years ago!  It's not the only English foe par that makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position.  I'm biting my time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons.  I'm certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they studied math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera - but I won't let them off scotch free!  I know, I know, your probably thinking its a mute point and irreverant in today's society.  Supposedly, today's youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking correctly, what with social media and all.  I have no illusions, it will probably be a waist of time and I won't win a metal for it..."

For all intensive purposes, I think that you should take
another tact. Are you going to tow the line?

--
Michael F. Stemper
Economists have correctly predicted seven of the last three recessions.

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<j7d0p6FlndmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69392&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69392

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 19 Feb 2022 20:03:50 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:03 UTC

In article <surh55$puh$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 19/02/2022 13.10, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>>
>> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
>"figuratively."  This misuse of the English language should have been
>nipped in the butt years ago!  It's not the only English foe par that
>makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position.  I'm biting
>my time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons.
>I'm certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they
>studied math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera
>- but I won't let them off scotch free!  I know, I know, your probably
>thinking its a mute point and irreverant in today's society.
>Supposedly, today's youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking
>correctly, what with social media and all.  I have no illusions, it
>will probably be a waist of time and I won't win a metal for it..."
>
>For all intensive purposes, I think that you should take
>another tact. Are you going to tow the line?

When I was young my father said to me: "Knowledge is Power...
Francis Bacon"

I understood it as "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon".

For more than a decade I wondered over the meaning of the
second part and what was the surreal linkage between the
two? If I said the quote to someone, "Knowledge is power,
France is Bacon" they nodded knowingly. Or someone might
say, "Knowledge is power" and I'd finish the quote "France
is Bacon" and they wouldn't look at me like I'd said something
very odd but thoughtfully agree. I did ask a teacher what
did "Knowledge is power, France is bacon" mean and got a
full 10 minute explanation of the Knowledge is power bit
but nothing on "France is bacon". When I prompted further
explanation by saying "France is Bacon?" in a questioning
tone I just got a "yes". At 12 I didn't have the confidence
to press it further. I just accepted it as something I'd
never understand.

It wasn't until years later I saw it written down that the
penny dropped.
Lard_Baron

--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<28c393db-e0df-494d-aec2-911f6a36634an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69393&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69393

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:33:39 -0800 (PST)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:33 UTC

On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 2:03:55 PM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <surh55$puh$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Michael F. Stemper <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 19/02/2022 13.10, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
> >>
> >> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
> >"figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
> >nipped in the butt years ago! It's not the only English foe par that
> >makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position. I'm biting
> >my time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons.
> >I'm certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they
> >studied math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera
> >- but I won't let them off scotch free! I know, I know, your probably
> >thinking its a mute point and irreverant in today's society.
> >Supposedly, today's youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking
> >correctly, what with social media and all. I have no illusions, it
> >will probably be a waist of time and I won't win a metal for it..."
> >
> >For all intensive purposes, I think that you should take
> >another tact. Are you going to tow the line?
> >
> When I was young my father said to me: "Knowledge is Power...
> Francis Bacon"
>
> I understood it as "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon".
>
> For more than a decade I wondered over the meaning of the
> second part and what was the surreal linkage between the
> two? If I said the quote to someone, "Knowledge is power,
> France is Bacon" they nodded knowingly. Or someone might
> say, "Knowledge is power" and I'd finish the quote "France
> is Bacon" and they wouldn't look at me like I'd said something
> very odd but thoughtfully agree. I did ask a teacher what
> did "Knowledge is power, France is bacon" mean and got a
> full 10 minute explanation of the Knowledge is power bit
> but nothing on "France is bacon". When I prompted further
> explanation by saying "France is Bacon?" in a questioning
> tone I just got a "yes". At 12 I didn't have the confidence
> to press it further. I just accepted it as something I'd
> never understand.
>
> It wasn't until years later I saw it written down that the
> penny dropped.

You should try French bacon sometime; it has great flavor.
Not the mass market stuff, but the artisan type.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<a4e3f46e-3bab-41a0-a2ef-72f22284f1f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69395&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69395

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:25:35 -0800 (PST)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:25 UTC

On Saturday, 19 February 2022 at 19:10:19 UTC, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>
> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
> "figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
> nipped in the butt years ago! It's not the only English foe par that
> makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position. I'm biting my
> time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons. I'm
> certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they studied
> math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera - but I
> won't let them off scotch free! I know, I know, your probably thinking
> its a mute point and irreverant in today's society. Supposedly, today's
> youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking correctly, what with
> social media and all. I have no illusions, it will probably be a waist
> of time and I won't win a metal for it..."

I think last Tuesday's guest on BBC radio's "Word of Mouth",
John H. McWhorter
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014g06>
argued in favour of "literally" not having the meaning
of, literally, any more, but I also think I missed him saying
what the forheavensake it does mean then. If he did.

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<susr9d$sqb$2@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69401&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69401

From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 07:40:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 07:40 UTC

Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> schrieb:
> In article <surh55$puh$1@dont-email.me>,
> Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 19/02/2022 13.10, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>>>
>>> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
>>"figuratively."  This misuse of the English language should have been
>>nipped in the butt years ago!  It's not the only English foe par that
>>makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position.  I'm biting
>>my time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons.
>>I'm certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they
>>studied math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera
>>- but I won't let them off scotch free!  I know, I know, your probably
>>thinking its a mute point and irreverant in today's society.
>>Supposedly, today's youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking
>>correctly, what with social media and all.  I have no illusions, it
>>will probably be a waist of time and I won't win a metal for it..."
>>
>>For all intensive purposes, I think that you should take
>>another tact. Are you going to tow the line?
>>

> When I was young my father said to me: "Knowledge is Power...
> Francis Bacon"
>
> I understood it as "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon".

I always understood "Living on a Fish Island" in the song
"Limelight" by Rush.

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<sust8f$sqb$3@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69402&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69402

From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 08:14:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 08:14 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> schrieb:
> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>
> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
> "figuratively."

You can even find that in "Yes, Minister", where it is used by
Hacker, in the wrong sense, of course. So the scriptwriters were
making fun of its misuse in the 1980s, and in

> This misuse of the English language should have been
> nipped in the butt years ago!

"years" needs to be replaced with "decades".

For those who do not know the show: It is about a hapless
politician, James Hacker, who becomes minister (and later, prime
minister, the show being appropriately re-titled "Yes, Prime
Minister") whose nemesis and Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey
Appleby, regularly foils his political plans, usually for the
greater good of the British civil service.

Well worth watching, my only problem is that Sir Humphrey's actor
sometimes talks _very_ fast.

One of the best scenes is Humphrey explaining to Hacker's private
secretary how to rig opinion polls, which you can watch at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA . Still as relevant today
as it was in the 1980s.

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<ARtQJ.37806$m1S7.13050@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69410&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69410

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:18:40 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:18 UTC

Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> writes:
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> schrieb:
>> In article <surh55$puh$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>"figuratively."  This misuse of the English language should have been
>>>nipped in the butt years ago!  It's not the only English foe par that
>>>makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position.  I'm biting
>>>my time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons.
>>>I'm certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they
>>>studied math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera
>>>- but I won't let them off scotch free!  I know, I know, your probably
>>>thinking its a mute point and irreverant in today's society.
>>>Supposedly, today's youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking
>>>correctly, what with social media and all.  I have no illusions, it
>>>will probably be a waist of time and I won't win a metal for it..."
>>>
>>>For all intensive purposes, I think that you should take
>>>another tact. Are you going to tow the line?
>>>

>> When I was young my father said to me: "Knowledge is Power...
>> Francis Bacon"
>>
>> I understood it as "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon".
>
>I always understood "Living on a Fish Island" in the song
>"Limelight" by Rush.

Hendrix's line "Excuse my while I kiss the sky" is often heard
as "Excuse me while I kiss this guy".

Then there's the misapplication of "decimated", which basically
means 10% when the writer meant devastated.

The confusion of prone with supine.

"Fire in the Hold" <- Kim Harrison (in the same book where her
character 'hits the breaks' when crossing a bridge)

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<sutq9a$69k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69413&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69413

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 08:29:31 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:29 UTC

On 2/20/2022 12:14 AM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> schrieb:
>> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>>
>> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
>> "figuratively."
>
> You can even find that in "Yes, Minister", where it is used by
> Hacker, in the wrong sense, of course. So the scriptwriters were
> making fun of its misuse in the 1980s, and in
>
>> This misuse of the English language should have been
>> nipped in the butt years ago!
>
> "years" needs to be replaced with "decades".

Shirley you meant "centuries".

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -
James Nicoll

dirty old man.

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<suuiil$lcp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69426&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69426

From: Magew...@nc.rr.com (Magewolf)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:24:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Magewolf - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:24 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 08:14:07 +0000, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> schrieb:
>> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>>
>> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
>> "figuratively."
>
> You can even find that in "Yes, Minister", where it is used by Hacker,
> in the wrong sense, of course. So the scriptwriters were making fun of
> its misuse in the 1980s, and in
>
>> This misuse of the English language should have been nipped in the butt
>> years ago!
>
> "years" needs to be replaced with "decades".
>
> For those who do not know the show: It is about a hapless politician,
> James Hacker, who becomes minister (and later, prime minister, the show
> being appropriately re-titled "Yes, Prime Minister") whose nemesis and
> Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey Appleby, regularly foils his political
> plans, usually for the greater good of the British civil service.
>
> Well worth watching, my only problem is that Sir Humphrey's actor
> sometimes talks _very_ fast.
>
> One of the best scenes is Humphrey explaining to Hacker's private
> secretary how to rig opinion polls, which you can watch at
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA . Still as relevant today as
> it was in the 1980s.

I just have to mention that whenever I see SRW the first thing I think of
is Super Robot Wars. Which since the games in the series are a mashup of
different Mecha anime would not be OT.

For the uninitiated it is sort of like if someone decided to make a turn
based strategy game combining the stories and characters from
Nightrider,The A-Team,Airwolf,Manimal,Automan,Stargate
SG-1,MacGyver,Battlestar Galactica(80's),The Harlem Globetrotters(80's),
and many, many other shows.

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<e5926123-07f9-444c-8538-a8efca7b195an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69465&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69465

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 19:59:22 -0800 (PST)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 03:59 UTC

On Monday, February 21, 2022 at 8:17:41 PM UTC-6, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:24:06 -0000 (UTC), Magewolf
> <Mage...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> >> You can even find that in "Yes, Minister", where it is used by Hacker,
> >> in the wrong sense, of course. So the scriptwriters were making fun of
> >> its misuse in the 1980s, and in

> >> "years" needs to be replaced with "decades".
> >>
> >> For those who do not know the show: It is about a hapless politician,
> >> James Hacker, who becomes minister (and later, prime minister, the show
> >> being appropriately re-titled "Yes, Prime Minister") whose nemesis and
> >> Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey Appleby, regularly foils his political
> >> plans, usually for the greater good of the British civil service.
> >>
> >> Well worth watching, my only problem is that Sir Humphrey's actor
> >> sometimes talks _very_ fast.
> >>
> >> One of the best scenes is Humphrey explaining to Hacker's private
> >> secretary how to rig opinion polls, which you can watch at
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA . Still as relevant today as
> >> it was in the 1980s.
> >
> >I just have to mention that whenever I see SRW the first thing I think of
> >is Super Robot Wars. Which since the games in the series are a mashup of
> >different Mecha anime would not be OT.
> >
> >For the uninitiated it is sort of like if someone decided to make a turn
> >based strategy game combining the stories and characters from
> >Nightrider,The A-Team,Airwolf,Manimal,Automan,Stargate
> >SG-1,MacGyver,Battlestar Galactica(80's),The Harlem Globetrotters(80's),
> >and many, many other shows.
> OMG. Well your show is at least more closely related to SF than Yes
> Minister. (Which is a perfectly good show but definitely nothing like
> any category of science fiction >I've< ever read!)

I have to disagree here. I find _Yes, Minister_ to be very similar to
Robert Heinlein's YA novel _The Star Beast_. The interactions between
the nominal head of the Ministry of Administrative Affairs and the
permanent undersecretary who actually runs it in the television show
are very much like the interactions of the corresponding people at the
Department of Spatial Affairs in _The Star Beast_. The difference is
that in _Yes, Minister_ it is humorous give-and-take whereas in
_The Star Beast_ the competent and experienced Mr. Kiku must
handle an existential threat to humanity that the reader is shown
the nominal head of the department is utterly incompetent to
deal with.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<8f9c44ba-c519-48ce-95a6-19cfcf210e5bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69474&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69474

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 07:36:00 -0800 (PST)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 15:36 UTC

On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 4:25:40 PM UTC-6, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 February 2022 at 19:10:19 UTC, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
> >
> > "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
> > "figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
> > nipped in the butt years ago! It's not the only English foe par that
> > makes me cringe and want to curl up in a feeble position. I'm biting my
> > time but one day I'm going to speak out and correct these more ons. I'm
> > certain that they'll have an escape goat - probably that they studied
> > math and science and not English in school, ex cedera, ex cedera - but I
> > won't let them off scotch free! I know, I know, your probably thinking
> > its a mute point and irreverant in today's society. Supposedly, today's
> > youth no longer need to be concerned about speaking correctly, what with
> > social media and all. I have no illusions, it will probably be a waist
> > of time and I won't win a metal for it..."
> I think last Tuesday's guest on BBC radio's "Word of Mouth",
> John H. McWhorter
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014g06>
> argued in favour of "literally" not having the meaning
> of, literally, any more, but I also think I missed him saying
> what the forheavensake it does mean then. If he did.

Someone once said or wrote 'We're human beings; OF COURSE
we're going to use "literally" in a figurative sense.'

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<sv35qd$8bh$1@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69476&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69476

From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:17:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:17 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> schrieb:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:24:06 -0000 (UTC), Magewolf

>>For the uninitiated it is sort of like if someone decided to make a turn
>>based strategy game combining the stories and characters from
>>Nightrider,The A-Team,Airwolf,Manimal,Automan,Stargate
>>SG-1,MacGyver,Battlestar Galactica(80's),The Harlem Globetrotters(80's),
>>and many, many other shows.
>
> OMG. Well your show is at least more closely related to SF than Yes
> Minister. (Which is a perfectly good show but definitely nothing like
> any category of science fiction >I've< ever read!)

Alternate timeline? The Hackerverse (or should it be the
Humpfhreyverse)?

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<d64e4335-f00d-4161-8930-3a48579e638an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69480&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69480

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 11:44:02 -0800 (PST)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:44 UTC

On Tuesday, 22 February 2022 at 02:17:41 UTC, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:24:06 -0000 (UTC), Magewolf
> <Mage...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> >> You can even find that in "Yes, Minister", where it is used by Hacker,
> >> in the wrong sense, of course. So the scriptwriters were making fun of
> >> its misuse in the 1980s, and in

> >> "years" needs to be replaced with "decades".
> >>
> >> For those who do not know the show: It is about a hapless politician,
> >> James Hacker, who becomes minister (and later, prime minister, the show
> >> being appropriately re-titled "Yes, Prime Minister") whose nemesis and
> >> Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey Appleby, regularly foils his political
> >> plans, usually for the greater good of the British civil service.
> >>
> >> Well worth watching, my only problem is that Sir Humphrey's actor
> >> sometimes talks _very_ fast.
> >>
> >> One of the best scenes is Humphrey explaining to Hacker's private
> >> secretary how to rig opinion polls, which you can watch at
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA . Still as relevant today as
> >> it was in the 1980s.
> >
> >I just have to mention that whenever I see SRW the first thing I think of
> >is Super Robot Wars. Which since the games in the series are a mashup of
> >different Mecha anime would not be OT.
> >
> >For the uninitiated it is sort of like if someone decided to make a turn
> >based strategy game combining the stories and characters from
> >Nightrider,The A-Team,Airwolf,Manimal,Automan,Stargate
> >SG-1,MacGyver,Battlestar Galactica(80's),The Harlem Globetrotters(80's),
> >and many, many other shows.
> OMG. Well your show is at least more closely related to SF than Yes
> Minister. (Which is a perfectly good show but definitely nothing like
> any category of science fiction >I've< ever read!)

It is an example of language, not an example of
science fiction. Though apparently it didn't matter
at all which political party put Jim Hacker in
power. (I also don't remember - was he portrayed
as a "Member of Parliament"?)

However, _Yes Minister_ features deliberate confusing
use of language, as well as outright lies. So sometimes
what they seem to say is not what they actually say,
and sometimes they just don't mean what they say.
They might say "literately" or "literarily" to sound like
they said "literally" i.e. "in actual fact".

Of course, if you're telling me that in their own discussion,
which is relatively honest, somebody said (in 1980 or later)
that "literally" simply does not mean "actually" any more,
then I could accept that. But I regret it being the case.

ObSF if we haven't had it: that bit in _Foundation_ where
the Foundation is under threat of attack, and a diplomat
is sent to discuss commitment to their defence, and is
found, upon checking recordings, to have actually expressed
no commitment whatsoever. He just made comforting
sounding statements.

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<a6500db2-2a09-4f5a-9245-fa830b62a75cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69706&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69706

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 00:35:02 -0800 (PST)
From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
 by: Default User - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 08:35 UTC

On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 1:10:19 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>
> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
> "figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
> nipped in the butt years ago!

The whole kitten caboodle is silly.

Brian

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<621e15a2.389396109@localhost>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69709&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69709

From: eichlert...@comcast.net (Bice)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 12:48:47 GMT
 by: Bice - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 12:48 UTC

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 00:35:02 -0800 (PST), Default User
<defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 1:10:19 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>>
>> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
>> "figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
>> nipped in the butt years ago!
>
>The whole kitten caboodle is silly.

When I was setting up my arcade emulator, I was amused to discover
there was once an arcade game called Kitten Kaboodle:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8328

-- Bob

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<j86kp7Fjm9fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69711&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69711

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 1 Mar 2022 13:18:32 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 13:18 UTC

In article <a6500db2-2a09-4f5a-9245-fa830b62a75cn@googlegroups.com>,
Default User <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 1:10:19 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
>>
>> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
>> "figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
>> nipped in the butt years ago!
>
>The whole kitten caboodle is silly.

At this point it would cost a nominal egg to change anything though.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<7d10e638-439e-4063-982c-529bdd8486d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69712&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69712

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 06:47:45 -0800 (PST)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 14:47 UTC

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 6:49:04 AM UTC-6, Bice wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 00:35:02 -0800 (PST), Default User
> <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 1:10:19 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
> >>
> >> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
> >> "figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
> >> nipped in the butt years ago!
> >
> >The whole kitten caboodle is silly.
> When I was setting up my arcade emulator, I was amused to discover
> there was once an arcade game called Kitten Kaboodle:
>
> https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8328

Charles Schultz also used the term:

https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1974/06/12

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world"

<8cc78aa8-d644-4d43-b9df-0306b4f31372n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69739&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69739

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 07:00:21 -0800 (PST)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 15:00 UTC

On Tuesday, 1 March 2022 at 13:18:38 UTC, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <a6500db2-2a09-4f5a...@googlegroups.com>,
> Default User <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Saturday, February 19, 2022 at 1:10:19 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> From SRW in the Fort Bend Journal, "It's a doggie dog world".
> >>
> >> "Have you ever heard someone say "literally" when they meant to say
> >> "figuratively." This misuse of the English language should have been
> >> nipped in the butt years ago!
> >
> >The whole kitten caboodle is silly.
> >
> At this point it would cost a nominal egg to change anything though.

It took a while to understand that one,
you went about on a limb :-)