From a Quora on possible Goldwater administration

<xYVcJ.46266$qe4.42107@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6944&group=alt.history.what-if#6944

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: From a Quora on possible Goldwater administration
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:34:54 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:34 UTC

Brent Cooper
Trial and appellate counsel for Cooper & Scully (1993–present)

How would America be different under a Goldwater administration?
During his time and on through until today? What did LBJ contribute to
America that wouldn't have happened if he had lost?

The Vietnam War, Civil Rights and The Great Society would have all been
different under Goldwater.

Goldwater would have explored means to end the Vietnam war. He gave this
speech in 1964 while running for President:

“Taking strong action simply to return to the status quo is not worthy
of our sacrifices, our ideals, or our vision of a world of peace,
freedom and justice.

“Now this doesn't mean the use of military power alone. We have vast
resources of economic, political and psychological power which have not
even been tapped in our Vietnamese strategy.

“These, I suggest, can be peaceful means of waging war on war itself and
all I say is, let's use them.

“As it is, we seem forever to be making crisis decisions in the middle
of the night--crisis decisions for supposedly isolated outbreaks of fire.

Civil rights legislation would have been pushed through since the
Republicans had started the push in the 1950’s.

Goldwater was fundamentally a staunch supporter of racial equality. He
integrated his family's business upon taking over control in the 1930s.
A lifetime member of the NAACP, Goldwater helped found the group's
Arizona chapter. Goldwater saw to it that the Arizona Air National Guard
was racially integrated from its inception in 1946, two years before
President Truman ordered the military as a whole be integrated (a
process that was not completed until 1954). Goldwater worked with
Phoenix civil rights leaders to successfully integrate public schools a
year prior to Brown vs. Board of Education.

In Goldwater’s first year in the Senate, he was responsible for the
desegregation of the Senate cafeteria after he insisted that his black
legislative assistant, Katherine Maxwell, be served along with every
other Senate employee.

Goldwater repeatedly introduced amendments to labor bills that would
outlaw racial discrimination in labor unions, however, labor unions
successfully used their political influence to defeat Goldwater's
proposals. Goldwater voted in favor of both Civil Rights Act of 1957 and
the 24th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

There would have been no Great Society that continues to enslave
generation after generation. In his acceptance speech Goldwater laid the
blame for all the problems LBJ enumerated right at the feet of
big-government Democrats. Centralized government planning destroyed
individual initiative and creativity rather than nurturing it. Pushing
equality on everyone was a bad idea; it's nothing more than "regimented
sameness." People have to be free to manage their own lives and make
their own choices, not be slaves to some liberty-destroying central
government. The only rights the government should be protecting are
property rights.

3.6K viewsView 142 upvotesView sharesAnswer requested by
Robert Vernon

Brandi
16h ago
This was the first presidential election I voted in. The media was
filled with the line that BG would nuke everybody. Plus in my
neighborhood you couldn’t get your tickets fixed if you didn’t vote
Democratic…. Ahh! Priorities!

Profile photo for Brent Cooper
Brent Cooper
15h ago
Much was LBJ commercials

Profile photo for Brandi
Profile photo for Rick Hord
Rick Hord
Wed
They told if I voted for Goldwater there would be a war in Vietnam. I
did and there was.