An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

SubjectAuthor
* YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toDudley Brooks
+* Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toButch Malahide
|+* Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||+* Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dyiDon
|||`- Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toDudley Brooks
||`- Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toDudley Brooks
|`- Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toDudley Brooks
`* Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toLynn McGuire
 +- Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toDudley Brooks
 `* Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `- Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien toDudley Brooks

1
YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<sv4mr3$d4d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69499&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69499

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 23:13:38 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 07:13 UTC

This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately. (Read it
when I was a kid.)

A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.

An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
poisonous chemical in place of water. For some reason which I can't
remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
work, or something.

It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid.
The unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed
into an alien, suited to the planet.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<b0d136ef-103d-4d49-a7d6-3ce3cc41c3c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69501&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69501

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 00:46:05 -0800 (PST)
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
From: fred.gal...@gmail.com (Butch Malahide)
 by: Butch Malahide - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:46 UTC

On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 1:13:44 AM UTC-6, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately. (Read it
> when I was a kid.)
>
> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>
> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
> poisonous chemical in place of water. For some reason which I can't
> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
> work, or something.
>
> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid.
> The unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed
> into an alien, suited to the planet.
>
> --
> Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
> Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
> San Francisco
Not at all obscure, A. E. van Vogt's "Enchanted Village" is one of the most famous sci-fi stories. You can read it here:
https://archive.org/details/Other_Worlds_v02n01_1950-07.Clarkcape1736/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<j7mr11Fi2sfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69509&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69509

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: 23 Feb 2022 13:26:57 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 13:26 UTC

In article <b0d136ef-103d-4d49-a7d6-3ce3cc41c3c9n@googlegroups.com>,
Butch Malahide <fred.galvin@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 1:13:44 AM UTC-6, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
>> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately. (Read it
>> when I was a kid.)
>>
>> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>>
>> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
>> poisonous chemical in place of water. For some reason which I can't
>> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
>> work, or something.
>>
>> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
>> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid.
>> The unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed
>> into an alien, suited to the planet.
>>
>> --
>> Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
>> Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
>> San Francisco
>Not at all obscure, A. E. van Vogt's "Enchanted Village" is one of the
>most famous sci-fi stories. You can read it here:
>https://archive.org/details/Other_Worlds_v02n01_1950-07.Clarkcape1736/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater

Or in a more text based format here:

https://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article1033
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<20220223a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69512&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69512

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 15:07:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 15:07 UTC

Ted Nolan wrote:
> Butch Malahide wrote:
>> Dudley Brooks wrote:
>>> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
>>> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately. (Read it
>>> when I was a kid.)
>>>
>>> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>>>
>>> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
>>> poisonous chemical in place of water. For some reason which I can't
>>> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
>>> work, or something.
>>>
>>> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
>>> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid.
>>> The unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed
>>> into an alien, suited to the planet.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
>>> Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
>>> San Francisco
>>Not at all obscure, A. E. van Vogt's "Enchanted Village" is one of the
>>most famous sci-fi stories. You can read it here:
>>https://archive.org/details/Other_Worlds_v02n01_1950-07.Clarkcape1736/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater
>
> Or in a more text based format here:
>
> https://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article1033

ePubs are also available at the Isle. A perfect fit for my "not a nook"
Galaxy Tab S6 Lite. :)

Those in the mood for a psychedelic sideshow can read about the 2017
adaptation of "The Impossible Planet" (PDK). It's one of the episodes in
_Electric Dreams_:

https://crcomp.net/arts/electricdreams/index.php

Here's a deeper dive into the short story's synopsis and adaptation's
aperçu:

https://www.mildlyscientific.com/2018/07/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams-episode-8-review/

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<sv5v0n$jgr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69520&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69520

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:39:18 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:39 UTC

On 2/23/22 12:46 AM, Butch Malahide wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 1:13:44 AM UTC-6, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>
>> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
>> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately. (Read it
>> when I was a kid.)
>>
>> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>>
>> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
>> poisonous chemical in place of water. For some reason which I can't
>> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
>> work, or something.
>>
>> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
>> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid.
>> The unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed
>> into an alien, suited to the planet.
>>
>> --
>> Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
>> Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
>> San Francisco
>
> Not at all obscure, A. E. van Vogt's "Enchanted Village" is one of the most famous sci-fi stories. You can read it here:
> https://archive.org/details/Other_Worlds_v02n01_1950-07.Clarkcape1736/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater

Huh! I had no idea it was someone so famous. I guess I read it when I
was so young that I didn't yet know who anyone in science fiction was.

Thanks!

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<sv5v30$jgr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69521&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69521

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:40:32 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:40 UTC

On 2/23/22 5:26 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> In article <b0d136ef-103d-4d49-a7d6-3ce3cc41c3c9n@googlegroups.com>,
> Butch Malahide <fred.galvin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 1:13:44 AM UTC-6, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>>
>>> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
>>> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately. (Read it
>>> when I was a kid.)
>>>
>>> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>>>
>>> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
>>> poisonous chemical in place of water. For some reason which I can't
>>> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
>>> work, or something.
>>>
>>> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
>>> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid.
>>> The unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed
>>> into an alien, suited to the planet.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
>>> Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
>>> San Francisco
>>
>> Not at all obscure, A. E. van Vogt's "Enchanted Village" is one of the
>> most famous sci-fi stories. You can read it here:
>> https://archive.org/details/Other_Worlds_v02n01_1950-07.Clarkcape1736/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater
>
> Or in a more text based format here:
>
> https://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article1033

Thanks!

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<sv5v85$jgr$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69522&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69522

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:43:17 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:43 UTC

On 2/23/22 7:07 AM, Don wrote:

> Ted Nolan wrote:
>
>> Butch Malahide wrote:

>>> Not at all obscure, A. E. van Vogt's "Enchanted Village" is one of the
>>> most famous sci-fi stories. You can read it here:
>>> https://archive.org/details/Other_Worlds_v02n01_1950-07.Clarkcape1736/page/n5/mode/2up?view=theater
>>
>> Or in a more text based format here:
>>
>> https://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article1033
>
> ePubs are also available at the Isle. A perfect fit for my "not a nook"
> Galaxy Tab S6 Lite. :)

Thanks!

> Those in the mood for a psychedelic sideshow can read about the 2017
> adaptation of "The Impossible Planet" (PDK). It's one of the episodes in
> _Electric Dreams_:
>
> https://crcomp.net/arts/electricdreams/index.php
>
> Here's a deeper dive into the short story's synopsis and adaptation's
> aperçu:
>
> https://www.mildlyscientific.com/2018/07/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams-episode-8-review/
>
> Danke,

Also thanks!

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<sv6010$96b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69526&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69526

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:56:28 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:56 UTC

On 2/23/2022 1:13 AM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately.  (Read it
> when I was a kid.)
>
> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>
> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
> poisonous chemical in place of water.  For some reason which I can't
> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
> work, or something.
>
> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid. The
> unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed into
> an alien, suited to the planet.

The reverse, alien turns into a human, is "Human By Choice" by Travis
Taylor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1606190474/

Lynn

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<sv604a$25l$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69528&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69528

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:58:18 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:58 UTC

On 2/23/22 10:56 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> On 2/23/2022 1:13 AM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>
>> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
>> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately.  (Read it
>> when I was a kid.)
>>
>> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>>
>> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
>> poisonous chemical in place of water.  For some reason which I can't
>> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
>> work, or something.
>>
>> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
>> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid.
>> The unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed
>> into an alien, suited to the planet.
>
> The reverse, alien turns into a human, is "Human By Choice" by Travis
> Taylor.
>    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1606190474/
>
> Lynn

Thanks for the lead to another interesting story.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<j7nfemFm673U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69529&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69529

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: 23 Feb 2022 19:15:35 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:15 UTC

In article <sv6010$96b$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2/23/2022 1:13 AM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
>> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately.  (Read it
>> when I was a kid.)
>>
>> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>>
>> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
>> poisonous chemical in place of water.  For some reason which I can't
>> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
>> work, or something.
>>
>> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
>> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid. The
>> unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed into
>> an alien, suited to the planet.
>
>The reverse, alien turns into a human, is "Human By Choice" by Travis
>Taylor.
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1606190474/
>
>Lynn

Or Leinster's "If You Was A Moklin"

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51752/51752-h/51752-h.htm
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: YASID: Astronaut on alien world apparently turns into an alien to escape dying from poison atmosphere and water

<sv68lm$v30$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69534&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69534

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
escape dying from poison atmosphere and water
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 13:24:06 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 21:24 UTC

On 2/23/22 11:15 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> In article <sv6010$96b$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/2022 1:13 AM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>>
>>> This one is pretty obscure ... especially since it's possible I don't
>>> remember it in sufficient detail to describe it accurately.  (Read it
>>> when I was a kid.)
>>>
>>> A short story, probably in one of the standard pulp magazines.
>>>
>>> An astronaut lands on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere and some
>>> poisonous chemical in place of water.  For some reason which I can't
>>> remember, he has to take off his space suit, or his space suit doesn't
>>> work, or something.
>>>
>>> It ends with him taking a deep refreshing breath of the poisonous
>>> atmosphere and enjoying a refreshing shower in the poisonous liquid. The
>>> unexplained implication (I think!) is that he has somehow morphed into
>>> an alien, suited to the planet.
>>
>> The reverse, alien turns into a human, is "Human By Choice" by Travis
>> Taylor.
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1606190474/
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> Or Leinster's "If You Was A Moklin"
>
> https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51752/51752-h/51752-h.htm

Again thanks! So many recommendations to follow up on!