From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Stars Like Cold Fire by Nicholl and Elwood
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 23:47:25 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 06:47 UTC

I categorize this book as the start of yet another "Like Harrington but
better" milsf series. Our hero improbably gets a command right out
graduation. A tiny crappy command with eight crew but still a command.
Naturally since this is a a Harrington-alike he manages to punch way out
of his weight class in the start of a war, reducing his little boat to
scrap metal and winning the hearts and minds of a crew who start out
hating him.

One nice thing about the book is that it's written by guys who can
accurately define "fascist". This is important because only is Yi
facing an enemy who have had a populist dictator rise to power, but
there's also a fascist movement at home who are trying to kill him,
while other guys are dropping him into the deep end of things because
live or die they can use him as a heroic icon and eventually a martyr to
discredit his foes. But as protagonist he's already survived three
certain death situations and I expect more to come.

Hell, it's fun.

Re: Stars Like Cold Fire by Nicholl and Elwood

<j7s3s6Fiu7tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69579&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69579

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Stars Like Cold Fire by Nicholl and Elwood
Date: 25 Feb 2022 13:28:38 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:28 UTC

In article <sv9u1v$s28$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I categorize this book as the start of yet another "Like Harrington but
>better" milsf series. Our hero improbably gets a command right out
>graduation. A tiny crappy command with eight crew but still a command.
>Naturally since this is a a Harrington-alike he manages to punch way out
>of his weight class in the start of a war, reducing his little boat to
>scrap metal and winning the hearts and minds of a crew who start out
>hating him.
>
>One nice thing about the book is that it's written by guys who can
>accurately define "fascist". This is important because only is Yi
>facing an enemy who have had a populist dictator rise to power, but
>there's also a fascist movement at home who are trying to kill him,
>while other guys are dropping him into the deep end of things because
>live or die they can use him as a heroic icon and eventually a martyr to
>discredit his foes. But as protagonist he's already survived three
>certain death situations and I expect more to come.
>
>Hell, it's fun.

Thanks -- that sounds up my alley. And I should note that the Kindle
loss-leader price is now: $0

--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Stars Like Cold Fire by Nicholl and Elwood

<svaq58$vr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=69581&group=rec.arts.sf.written#69581

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 08:47:03 -0600
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:47 UTC

On 25/02/2022 00.47, David Johnston wrote:
> I categorize this book as the start of yet another "Like Harrington but better" milsf series.  Our hero improbably gets a command right out graduation.  A tiny crappy command with eight crew but still a command. Naturally since this is a a Harrington-alike he manages to punch way out of his weight class in the start of a war, reducing his little boat to scrap metal and winning the hearts and minds of a crew who start out hating him.

Except for the crew starting out hating him, it sounds like the
first four chapters of _Galactic Patrol_.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Life's too important to take seriously.

Re: Stars Like Cold Fire by Nicholl and Elwood

<650deeae-f79c-4535-bba8-db44a693ccd1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71373&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71373

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:31 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 2:47:09 PM UTC, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 00.47, David Johnston wrote:
> > I categorize this book as the start of yet another "Like Harrington but better" milsf series. Our hero improbably gets a command right out graduation. A tiny crappy command with eight crew but still a command. Naturally since this is a a Harrington-alike he manages to punch way out of his weight class in the start of a war, reducing his little boat to scrap metal and winning the hearts and minds of a crew who start out hating him.
> Except for the crew starting out hating him, it sounds like the
> first four chapters of _Galactic Patrol_.
>
> --
> Michael F. Stemper
> Life's too important to take seriously.
Rereading the first one now, bought on Davd Johnston's recommendation. I am still enjoying it and look forward to trying the next. I would say more Harrington than Galactic Patrol because it does not have the ideological ambition and scale of Galactic Patrol - Our hero's nation is certainly detached from Earth, and I get the impression so far that it is only locally important. It knows that it has deep racial divisions as well as being a near miss at becoming a fascist state itself. And our hero is a well trained (including martial arts) just fledged naval officer, not a budding superman already showing psychic powers like Kinnison.

Re: Stars Like Cold Fire by Nicholl and Elwood

<jak4d4F8vsnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71381&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71381

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 30 Mar 2022 22:37:25 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 22:37 UTC

In article <650deeae-f79c-4535-bba8-db44a693ccd1n@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
>On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 2:47:09 PM UTC, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> On 25/02/2022 00.47, David Johnston wrote:
>> > I categorize this book as the start of yet another "Like Harrington
>but better" milsf series. Our hero improbably gets a command right out
>graduation. A tiny crappy command with eight crew but still a command.
>Naturally since this is a a Harrington-alike he manages to punch way out
>of his weight class in the start of a war, reducing his little boat to
>scrap metal and winning the hearts and minds of a crew who start out
>hating him.
>> Except for the crew starting out hating him, it sounds like the
>> first four chapters of _Galactic Patrol_.
>>
>> --
>> Michael F. Stemper
>> Life's too important to take seriously.
>Rereading the first one now, bought on Davd Johnston's recommendation. I
>am still enjoying it and look forward to trying the next. I would say
>more Harrington than Galactic Patrol because it does not have the
>ideological ambition and scale of Galactic Patrol - Our hero's nation
>is certainly detached from Earth, and I get the impression so far that
>it is only locally important. It knows that it has deep racial divisions
>as well as being a near miss at becoming a fascist state itself. And our
>hero is a well trained (including martial arts) just fledged naval
>officer, not a budding superman already showing psychic powers like
>Kinnison.

Likewise read on Davd Johnston's recommendation. I should have a
review when I get the March tranche out. I did enjoy and will get
the next one. There were however a few plot points which are a reach.