"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest." -- Alexandre Dumas (fils)

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-Burst

SubjectAuthor
* Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-BurstZobovor
+- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-BurstIrrellius Spamticon
`- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-BurstCodigo Postal

1
Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-Burst

<1856d4be-c802-4710-bed9-61de14ca424an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6964&group=alt.toys.transformers#6964

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 09:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-Burst
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 16:11 UTC

Got a great, big package from BBTS yesterday (filled with wave five of the Super7 TMNT Ultimates, with wave also six shipping back-to-back... sheesh) as well as a much smaller box with little Bomb-Burst rattling around inside.. What with all the Leatherheadish and Krang-esque goodness I had nearly forgotten about him.

I cannot believe I paid something like $18 to get this toy, includding shipping and taxes. I wouldn't have bid that much on eBay for it. I think there's something wrong with me. Oh, well. (Yes, I know BBTS has a "Pile of Loot" feature so you can have them hang onto things and then ship them all at once. I don't do that. I don't have the patience.)

So, Bomb-Burst was originally part of the first batch of Decepticon Pretenders back in 1988, who were all monsters and creatures to counter the human-like Autobot Pretenders. Bomb-Burst had a bat-themed Pretender shell, with removable wings and pointed fangs. He was characterized as a Transformer vampire who drank others' fuel, hated sunlight, etc.

During Power of the Primes we got a Decoy Suit version of him in 2018, a tiny version of the character with a Prime Master figure of Megatronus inside..

So, this version is a step up from that, but still not anything close to the full-sized G1 edition. Like Iguanus, he's been reimagined so that the "robot mode" is styled after the Pretender shell, while the vehicle mode is what the inner robot originally used to turn into.

He's not quite three and a half inches tall, mostly a mix of light grey and dark grey, with a reddish-purple painted upper chest. On the 1988 version, the styling was asymmetrical and organic-looking, suggesting an internal organ like a heart, but here it's been toned down and simpy resembles armor.. His mouth is perpetually open in a comically happy grimace, with the head being a two-piece assembly, meeting at the jaw, that allowed for a full-realized set of teeth as well as a painted mouth interior. He has a Decepticon badge tampo-printed on his chest.

He comes with his two wing/laser weapons, which fit onto the sides of his arms (on the G1 toy, you equipped the inner robot in this manner) but they seem absurdly large for how tiny Bomb-Burst actually is. The wing is styled like bat wings on one side and painted grey, to make up for his lack of Pretender armor pieces, but there's no way to mount them to his shoulders. Just the forearms. He's also got a miniature version of his battle axe. It's adorable.

The jet cockpit is mounted to his back, so transforming him mostly involves swinging it down to cover the bat head and folding up the legs. The jet cockpit is held on only with plastic knobs, and it pops off regularly. The 1988 toy was simple, and was pretty obviously a robot who was folded in half at the waist. The new version is authentic in its colors and styling, and includes the VTOL fans on the top of the fuselage (arguably his most distinctive feature in vehicle mode, whch was described during G1 as a hover jet). The axe can stow under the jet nosecone.

I still dislike that they're merging the Pretender shell and the inner robot together into one toy. We're losing the play pattern that made the original Pretenders special. The whole point was that underneath these strange creatures and monsters, there are conventional-looking robots hiding inside.. But, I will continue to support Hasbro and buy these toys in the hopes that this will lead to bigger and better Pretenders toys in the future.

Zob (still doesn't have a G1 Bomb-Burst, and thanks to this release, I expect the competition for them on the secondary market will be excessive for a while)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-Burst

<26b7dfab-6ee7-4af0-b1c9-bb871384ad85n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6966&group=alt.toys.transformers#6966

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 17:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-Burst
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 00:42 UTC

On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 11:11:27 AM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> I still dislike that they're merging the Pretender shell and the inner robot together into one toy. We're losing the play pattern that made the original Pretenders special. The whole point was that underneath these strange creatures and monsters, there are conventional-looking robots hiding inside.. But, I will continue to support Hasbro and buy these toys in the hopes that this will lead to bigger and better Pretenders toys in the future.
>

> Zob (still doesn't have a G1 Bomb-Burst, and thanks to this release, I expect the competition for them on the secondary market will be excessive for a while)

You're too negative. Ass omeone who had and sold the original because it was just really bad, I welcome this Core Class version. My only complaints are the lack of shoulder gun mounts, the nose 5mm ports aren't that usable with the guns, I wish his arms had a way to "lock" in place for vehicle mode. Other than that he overcomes a lot of shortcomings of his G1 self and all he loses is a shell that didn't make any sense even during G1/Masterforce.

His face is just too cute.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Core-Class Bomb-Burst

<b5a21f7d-4f2b-4ad2-a5a3-1838f47336bcn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6973&group=alt.toys.transformers#6973

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 21:30:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 04:30 UTC

On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 12:11:27 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> I still dislike that they're merging the Pretender shell and the inner robot together into one toy. We're losing the play pattern that made the original Pretenders special. The whole point was that underneath these strange creatures and monsters, there are conventional-looking robots hiding inside.. But, I will continue to support Hasbro and buy these toys in the hopes that this will lead to bigger and better Pretenders toys in the future.
>

> Zob (still doesn't have a G1 Bomb-Burst, and thanks to this release, I expect the competition for them on the secondary market will be excessive for a while)

He should be a patriotic mascot. I literally cannot read his name without thinking of the national anthem. Flag-colored repaint when?