Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 05:46:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Why We Need Free Speech
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:46 UTC

I’ve seen it stated that, if an opinion can offend someone, it should not be stated. This is hysterical thinking.

Free speech is an absolute necessity for a self-governing country. It is necessary for people to know where one another is coming from. And that is necessary for people to be able to deal rightfully with one another.

These people appear to have forgotten which country they live in. And what a sad state of affairs it is that it takes a Russian immigrant to remind them.

I’ve also seen it stated that there are many people who are in favor of free speech, who don’t know why they are in favor of free speech. I know why I am. Free speech makes it possible for people to understand one another. And that makes it possible for people to work with one another.

Free speech is not an issue when faced with statements on which everyone agrees. It becomes an issue when something is said that is controversial – that, as such, stands to offend someone. On this matter we need to err on the side of freedom.

Specifically, we need to have the courage to stand up to political correctness and claim our constitutional rights.

When these are denied, people cannot communicate with or understand one another. The result is that they do not know how to deal with one another. We don’t get tolerance, and we don’t get respect. What we get is suffocating insincerity. And that is very bad for the country.

A Republican once told me that the second amendment is more important than the first amendment. I do not see why we should need to choose one or the other. I support both. The first amendment makes it possible for people to communicate and work together. The second makes it possible for people to defend themselves. Liberty demands both.

It is important to see through the rot of hysterical thinking and remember what made America possible. And then it will actually be possible to achieve the political correctness’s stated goals of tolerance and respect..