Quick!! Act as if nothing has happened!

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / THE FABELMANS

SubjectAuthor
* THE FABELMANSBill Anderson
+- Re: THE FABELMANSsuper70s
`- Re: THE FABELMANSJG Rove

1
THE FABELMANS

<DwudnXMw3tdhxnX-nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6988&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6988

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: THE FABELMANS
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 03:24:44 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 03:24 UTC

It’s advertised as “semi autobiographical“so I was surprised to learn after
watching the movie that pretty much everything that happens within the
family in the film actually happened within Steven Spielberg’s family as he
was growing up.

I had expected to see the Spielberg character develop a fascination with
movies and blossom into a gifted young filmmaker, and yes, all of that
happened. But I had not quite expected to spend so much time with his
dysfunctional family. And I think it was no more fun for me to watch those
people than it was for him to live with them.

Now that it is all over I admit that I stayed interested throughout, but I
never really enjoyed watching the movie. If making this movie was cathartic
for Spielberg, well good for him. As for me, I learned more about Steven
Spielberg’s mom than I really cared to know.

Sure, see it. It’s nominated as best picture released in 2022. But I think
it surely is not that.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty p

Re: THE FABELMANS

<super70s-FFDB77.16312012022023@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6989&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6989

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: THE FABELMANS
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:31:20 -0600
 by: super70s - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:31 UTC

In article <DwudnXMw3tdhxnX-nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>,
Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:

> It's advertised as "semi autobiographical"so I was surprised to learn after
> watching the movie that pretty much everything that happens within the
> family in the film actually happened within Steven Spielberg's family as he
> was growing up.
>
> I had expected to see the Spielberg character develop a fascination with
> movies and blossom into a gifted young filmmaker, and yes, all of that
> happened. But I had not quite expected to spend so much time with his
> dysfunctional family. And I think it was no more fun for me to watch those
> people than it was for him to live with them.
>
> Now that it is all over I admit that I stayed interested throughout, but I
> never really enjoyed watching the movie. If making this movie was cathartic
> for Spielberg, well good for him. As for me, I learned more about Steven
> Spielberg's mom than I really cared to know.
>
> Sure, see it. It's nominated as best picture released in 2022. But I think
> it surely is not that.

I thought he had gotten the autobiographical stuff out of his system a
few years ago with that "8mm" movie. He didn't direct it himself as I
remember but he was a producer or maybe an exec producer? I didn't
remain interested or enjoy watching that one, lol.

Re: THE FABELMANS

<fae738dd-ec3f-4250-9b91-dc25e46d502fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7112&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#7112

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 11:33:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (JG Rove)
 by: JG Rove - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:33 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 4:18:14 AM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 February 2023 at 22:24:52 UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
> > It’s advertised as “semi autobiographical“so I was surprised to learn after
> > watching the movie that pretty much everything that happens within the
> > family in the film actually happened within Steven Spielberg’s family as he
> > was growing up.
> >
> > I had expected to see the Spielberg character develop a fascination with
> > movies and blossom into a gifted young filmmaker, and yes, all of that
> > happened. But I had not quite expected to spend so much time with his
> > dysfunctional family. And I think it was no more fun for me to watch those
> > people than it was for him to live with them.
> >
> > Now that it is all over I admit that I stayed interested throughout, but I
> > never really enjoyed watching the movie. If making this movie was cathartic
> > for Spielberg, well good for him. As for me, I learned more about Steven
> > Spielberg’s mom than I really cared to know.
> >
> > Sure, see it. It’s nominated as best picture released in 2022. But I think
> > it surely is not that.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Anderson
> >
> > I am the Mighty p
> You paid to see that ego-trip? That vanity project?

It's in public libraries on DVD already. The Wonder Years series on ABC was more entertaining.