From: Trolid...@eternal-september.org (Trolidan7)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Peter the Great dies on January 1, 1709
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:18:19 -0800
 by: Trolidan7 - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 23:18 UTC

Peter the Great gets a disease in December of 1708
and dies the beginning of the next year.

An exact date is chosen to make it clear the specific
winter that he dies and not a year earlier or a year
later.

Charles XII began his invasion of Russia a year earlier
but in our time line the Battle of Poltava took place
about six monts later. In this alternate time line this
battle might or might not happen.

So.

How does this affect the Great Northern War?

Does St Petersburg still later become the capital
of Russia?

If St Petersburg does not become the capital but there
are not yet vastly great changes to our time line
yet, and Charles XII still gets defeated in a similar way
and Sweden still declines in a similar way, how would
Moscow remaining the capital affect history over the next
few hundred years?

Is it reasonable that Alexei Petrovich will become
the next Tsar? If not him then who will it be?

How does this affect the history of Sweden, Russia,
and the rest of the world for the next several
hundred years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_invasion_of_Russia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Poltava

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Petrovich,_Tsarevich_of_Russia

This post is dedicated to the phone booth, the cathode
ray tube, and the newspaper, three objects that have
generally been disappearing over the past 20 years.