Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 04:05:09 +0000
Subject: Looking for a technical term
From: George J...@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.theatre.misc
 by: George J. Dance - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 04:05 UTC

I'm posting to this group for the first time because I've been looking for a technical term, and haven't been able to find it on the web. I'm looking for the term to call the names that appear ore the lines in a play, indicating which character is speaking those lines.

I've been privately thinking of them as "cues," but I'd like to know the actual term in use so I can talk about them.

Re: Looking for a technical term

<slrnukmfef.3k2.michael.kallweitt@michael.kallweitt.art>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6&group=rec.arts.theatre.misc#6

From: michael....@posteo.de (Michael Kallweitt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.theatre.misc
Subject: Re: Looking for a technical term
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 08:50:38 +0100
 by: Michael Kallweitt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 07:50 UTC

George J. Dance@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance) <George> wrote:

> I'm posting to this group for the first time because I've been looking
> for a technical term, and haven't been able to find it on the web.

You're welcome! There's not much traffic in here as Usenet has been on a
decline for years, and most of us artist ppl aren't into tech anyway.

> I'm looking for the term to call the names that appear ore the lines
> in a play, indicating which character is speaking those lines.

AFAIK (English is not my mother language) there is no specific term for
this, apart from "character [name]".

> I've been privately thinking of them as "cues," but I'd like to know
> the actual term in use so I can talk about them.

A cue is a trigger for some action or effect (light, sound) to happen at
a specific moment. The term is also used in contemporary dance.

--
michael.kallweitt.art
»Meine Stücke wachsen nicht von vorne nach hinten, sondern von innen nach

Re: Looking for a technical term

<7c236e90fa1f8a57a1392777f00f5229@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=7&group=rec.arts.theatre.misc#7

From: George J...@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.theatre.misc
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:51:16 +0000
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:51 UTC

Michael Kallweitt wrote:

> George J. Dance@news.novabbs.com (George J. Dance) <George> wrote:

>> I'm posting to this group for the first time because I've been looking
>> for a technical term, and haven't been able to find it on the web.

> You're welcome! There's not much traffic in here as Usenet has been on a
> decline for years, and most of us artist ppl aren't into tech anyway.

I understand about the decline. I normally post on rec.arts.poems and alt.arts.poetry.comments, where the same thing has happened.

>> I'm looking for the term to call the names that appear ore the lines
>> in a play, indicating which character is speaking those lines.

> AFAIK (English is not my mother language) there is no specific term for
> this, apart from "character [name]".

I haven't even been able to find any mention of one, so I suspect you're right that there isn't one.

>> I've been privately thinking of them as "cues," but I'd like to know
>> the actual term in use so I can talk about them.

> A cue is a trigger for some action or effect (light, sound) to happen at
> a specific moment. The term is also used in contemporary dance.

Fair enough. The problem is that it's hard to talk about them without having a name for them. Here, let me tell you why I wanted the name; and, if you're interested, feel free to comment.

Some poets have written long poems in the style of plays; we're currently debating whether one 19th-century poem is a play or not. Some insist it does, because the poet's divided it into Acts. My rejoinder would be that it still isn't in the style of a play, because it lacks those "character [name]" tags; the story isn't told by the characters in dialogue, but by an anonymous narrator. I'm just looking for the best way to state that point.