I thought YOU silenced the guard!

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

SubjectAuthor
* Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Zobovor
`* Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Zobovor
 `* Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Codigo Postal
  `* Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Codigo Postal
   `* Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Zobovor
    `* Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Gustavo Wombat
     `* Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Zobovor
      `- Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!Gustavo Wombat

1
Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<f84a168f-0e36-4175-be43-a7716dc4f2fcn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6994&group=alt.toys.transformers#6994

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:44 UTC

Today was 10/27 so Hasbro does a thing on this day, because it's their address number.

They unveiled that Deathsaurus will be the next HasLab project for the Transformers brand, which kind of makes sense since Star Saber is going to need somebody to fight.

He comes with a "Micromaster" Eaglechest and Tigerchest figure, because those cowards wouldn't actually use the name Breast Force.

He's 11 inches tall (about exactly the height of Star Saber) and has 30 points of articulation. The crowdfunding runs until December 12th.

Extra stuff will be unlocked at 14,000 backers like his signature cannon and and spiked flail and some blast effects.

If he hits 17,000 backers, he will also come with display bases for either robot or beast modes as well as a throne.

Price is $179.99, which is about the same as a high-end Masterpiece toy. Seems reasonable to me.

I'm not a huge fan of the Japanese characters, but I'll support the project in the hopes that it gets made for everybody. There are 454 backers already, and the livestream's not even over yet!

Zob (all the fans who used to just got nuts any time somebody called him "Deathsaurus" instead of "Deszaras" are probably weeping silently)

Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<c6bf1be1-aa0c-4975-a71b-ca897a7a8deen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7002&group=alt.toys.transformers#7002

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 15:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 22:33 UTC

On Thursday, October 27, 2022 at 4:44:02 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:

> They unveiled that Deathsaurus will be the next HasLab project for the Transformers brand

I guess a link would have been helpful, but I don't do things like that:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-haslab-deathsaurus

At this point he's at 4555 backers, nearly half what they need to go into production (11,000 backers required), and with 45 days to go, I'm absolutely, 100% sure he'll get funded.

$179 really isn't a lot of cash at this point in the game, considering some of the immensely high-end products that are out there targeting adult collectors with jobs and money. It's not an impulse purchase, certainly, but it's certainly more doable than a $615 Unicron.

We seem to be at a weird time in history where prices are skyrocketing much more quickly than usual (secret Walmart doesn't want you to know #1: that $99 bike trailer that you wanted is now $150) and a lot of collectors are balking at the prices. They feel like they're "supposed" to be able to get an action figure for twenty bucks, and the fact that most of them are $25 or $30 now is (if Reddit's r/actionfigures is any indication) enough of a reason to give up collecting altogether.

Which is a shame, because we're also living in an era where they're producing high-quality, high-end versions of pretty much ALL my favorite franchise characters. Not just Transformers, but Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Darkwing Duck, Star Trek, etc. Hell, even Inspector Gadget has this fantastic seventy-dollar version with swappable gadgets and face sculpts and stuff. (I really need it in my life some day.)

Zob (probably when I'm done buying extra glass shelves and acrylic risers for my Detolf cabinets)

Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<f5bddc97-338b-463c-8cb2-c05eebe8c826n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7023&group=alt.toys.transformers#7023

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 13:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 20:47 UTC

On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 6:33:53 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Thursday, October 27, 2022 at 4:44:02 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
>
> > They unveiled that Deathsaurus will be the next HasLab project for the Transformers brand
> I guess a link would have been helpful, but I don't do things like that:
>
> https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-haslab-deathsaurus
>
> At this point he's at 4555 backers, nearly half what they need to go into production (11,000 backers required), and with 45 days to go, I'm absolutely, 100% sure he'll get funded.
>
> $179 really isn't a lot of cash at this point in the game, considering some of the immensely high-end products that are out there targeting adult collectors with jobs and money. It's not an impulse purchase, certainly, but it's certainly more doable than a $615 Unicron.
>
> We seem to be at a weird time in history where prices are skyrocketing much more quickly than usual (secret Walmart doesn't want you to know #1: that $99 bike trailer that you wanted is now $150) and a lot of collectors are balking at the prices. They feel like they're "supposed" to be able to get an action figure for twenty bucks, and the fact that most of them are $25 or $30 now is (if Reddit's r/actionfigures is any indication) enough of a reason to give up collecting altogether.
>
> Which is a shame, because we're also living in an era where they're producing high-quality, high-end versions of pretty much ALL my favorite franchise characters. Not just Transformers, but Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Darkwing Duck, Star Trek, etc. Hell, even Inspector Gadget has this fantastic seventy-dollar version with swappable gadgets and face sculpts and stuff. (I really need it in my life some day.)
>

> Zob (probably when I'm done buying extra glass shelves and acrylic risers for my Detolf cabinets)

Very cool. Plus there are already a couple of third party takes on Deathsaurus, for around the same price as the Haslab. We are truly living in a golden age of product. I was looking at Legacy Galvatron and thinking how our minds would have been blown had we gotten him back in the Beast Wars days.

On topic: I haven't inquired closely enough, but these seem like viable alternatives to Haslab's Deathsaurus, which makes me wonder how long they'll be allowed to be offered for sale (Hasbro shut down Studio Cell's 3P Unicron pretty darn quickly during the Unicron sales period).

Mastermind Creations: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/81610
Planet X: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/79971

Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<e21b91b1-1772-4812-ade7-d3d4de78e59an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7024&group=alt.toys.transformers#7024

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 14:09:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:09 UTC

> > We seem to be at a weird time in history where prices are skyrocketing much more quickly than usual (secret Walmart doesn't want you to know #1: that $99 bike trailer that you wanted is now $150) and a lot of collectors are balking at the prices. They feel like they're "supposed" to be able to get an action figure for twenty bucks, and the fact that most of them are $25 or $30 now is (if Reddit's r/actionfigures is any indication) enough of a reason to give up collecting altogether.

"Supposed" in quotes makes the fans sound entitled and spoiled. And while some of them certainly are - in many cases, I suspect it's less about a 5 or 10 dollar increase that nearly all of us can afford, and more about the nagging feeling that they're being gouged. The consistent price increases are starting to feel like the result of opportunistic greed, rather than inflation/supply chain constriction-related necessity.

If Hasbro could charge us Titan-level prices for an NFT of a Transformer, you'd better believe they'd do it. Then again, this shouldn't shock anyone. Extracting the maximum while providing the minimum is the essence of our societal values. It's the ethos that guides how we treat our employees like disposable fodder, how we treat our planet with abuse and disrespect, and how we treat consumers like suckers to be fleeced.

It doesn't always have to be this way. Look at Arizona Iced Tea's fabled 99 cent price tag. Despite the rise in cost of inputs, the CEO has vowed to hold the line as long as possible, in order to maintain the relationship between their company and their consumers.

"What I’m hearing lately is a lot of companies reporting earnings and their earnings are up because they have raised the price," Vultaggio said.
"I don’t think people need another price increase right now."

* * *

"Right now we have no intention of raising prices," Vultaggio continued.
"We think the consumers deserve a deal and a break and we’re trying to give them that break."

How refreshing. No pun intended.

Sources:
1) https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/13/arizona-iced-tea-ceo-vows-to-keep-99-cent-price-tag.html
2) https://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/arizona-iced-tea-keeps-price-of-99-cent-cans-despite-surging-inflation

Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<aff38cfc-b5c1-4b07-bfaa-7114f6106b19n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7025&group=alt.toys.transformers#7025

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 17:30:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 00:30 UTC

On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 3:09:41 PM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:

> "Supposed" in quotes makes the fans sound entitled and spoiled. And while some of them certainly are - in many cases, I suspect it's less about a 5 or 10 dollar increase that nearly all of us can afford, and more about the nagging feeling that they're being gouged. The consistent price increases are starting to feel like the result of opportunistic greed, rather than inflation/supply chain constriction-related necessity.

My suspicion is that most consumers aren't very knowledgeable about the shipping and distribution problems that have plagued the sales industry. All they really know is that stores ran out of toilet paper in 2020.

But, the cost of doing business has risen dramatically. There are longer lead times on factory availability. Container ships to transport goods from the factory to the shipping centers are more expensive than ever before. The cost of raw materials like plastic has also jumped up.
Companies won't just eat those expenses. They'll raise prices of products so they can still turn a profit.

I'm not saying I want toys to keep getting more expensive. But I understand the reasons for it, and I'm not so quick to blame it on companies being gluttonous and trying to bleed us dry, as I've seen some people do. They're well aware they're losing customers, and that's the last thing they want.

(As an aside, Super7 has this amazing-looking Star Trek:TNG Ultimates series out now, but I'm already collecting TMNT and Transformers, which are also $55 a pop. While I loves me some Star Trek, I'm not sure it's $55-a-pop worth of love. Maybe I could just collect the bridge crew...)

> It doesn't always have to be this way. Look at Arizona Iced Tea's fabled 99 cent price tag. Despite the rise in cost of inputs, the CEO has vowed to hold the line as long as possible, in order to maintain the relationship between their company and their consumers.

Yeah, but how long is "as long as possible"? Until the stockholders start grousing? Also, it seems highly unlikely a can of iced tea costs that company anywhere close to ninety-nine cents, so they're making a profit regardless.

I thought Mattel was going to do the same with Hot Wheels. They've been a dollar since as far back as I can remember. But Walmart finally, finally bumped the price up to like $1.08, and then again recently to $1.18. It's not hurting sales. But, that's only a hop, skip, and a jump away from $1.25 or $1.50, and before you know it, they'll be $2.00...

Zob (armchair market analyst-at-large)

Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<tjoa37$n1a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7026&group=alt.toys.transformers#7026

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:04:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:04 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 3:09:41 PM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:
>
>> "Supposed" in quotes makes the fans sound entitled and spoiled. And
>> while some of them certainly are - in many cases, I suspect it's less
>> about a 5 or 10 dollar increase that nearly all of us can afford, and
>> more about the nagging feeling that they're being gouged. The consistent
>> price increases are starting to feel like the result of opportunistic
>> greed, rather than inflation/supply chain constriction-related necessity.
>
> My suspicion is that most consumers aren't very knowledgeable about the
> shipping and distribution problems that have plagued the sales industry.
> All they really know is that stores ran out of toilet paper in 2020.

Counter argument: I shouldn’t have to care about the details of the toy
business.

I don’t mean that to be dismissive, or as a “screw you” for everything that
comes after, but very simply as a consumer, I only care whether a product
feels like it is worth the cost. I *need* to eat, but I don’t *need* Legacy
Screwloose.

Sure, lots of things are more expensive, but that means toys are competing
for a smaller bit of disposable income, so they need to deliver. Most
people don’t have basically unlimited funds.

If they are raising the price, they have to add in something to make it
feel like a rise in value. Characterization might be nice. Or use fan
favorite characters that people are longing for. Or something.

I’m not sure what it needs to be but that something is lacking. Toys are
being stripped down too much as is (Cybertron Metroplex needs a minicon,
Laser Optimus has no rifle, etc.)

I’d also say that the new packaging looks terrible on the shelves. They get
dinged up and dingy immediately. Making a premium product, and then putting
it into a crappy box that looks like something from a dollar store seems
like a mistake.

Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<909528c2-33fb-433a-b9ca-0b51de272aa8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7027&group=alt.toys.transformers#7027

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:04 UTC

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 5:04:10 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Counter argument: I shouldn’t have to care about the details of the toy
> business.

No, of course not. But I was responding to the idea that consumers think that Hasbro is deliberately fleecing consumers by raising prices just to make an extra buck. I can certainly see how people might arrive at that conclusion, if the only information they had was that Hasbro is charging more than they used to. But, it speaks towards a degree of ignorance about what's really going on.
> If they are raising the price, they have to add in something to make it
> feel like a rise in value.

So, they've done that sort of thing in the past and it always seems to cause problems. Like, there was a point when Star Wars figures were going from $4.99 to $5.99, or from $5.99 to $6.99. Something like that. And they tried to counter the price jump by throwing in something relatively inexpensive as a value-added item, like the CommTech figure stands or the little Flashback Photo action cards. People pretty much universally complained, but they thought that the addition of the CommTech chips was the *cause* for the price jump. They were like, "I'd rather just pay a dollar less and get the regular action figure!" But, they were conflating the cause and effect.

Remember when Combiner Wars toys came with a comic book? It was that same sort of thing. I believe that was the period when Deluxe-class toys were jumping from $12.99 to $14.99, and so they were throwing comics into the package to sort of soften the blow. A comic book does not cost two dollars per issue to print, but people were adamant that the comics should be removed and the price should be pushed back down to twelve bucks.
> I’d also say that the new packaging looks terrible on the shelves.. They get
> dinged up and dingy immediately. Making a premium product, and then putting
> it into a crappy box that looks like something from a dollar store seems
> like a mistake.

Yeah, the current packaging is terrible. There are Marvel Legends figures shipping now with no window at all, plastic or otherwise, and I think that might be the way Transformers might go eventually. We were getting that sometimes with G1 when it came to select toys (Omega Supreme, Metroplex, Sixshot, the Micromaster Stations, the Action Master vehicles, etc.) and it kind of makes sense. None of the TMNT vehicles ever had window boxes and kids survived. I think it will be okay.

Zob (been trying to clean up my G1 Thunderwing, and now everywhere I go I think I'm still smelling paint thinner)

Re: Hasbro 1027 Livestream Event Reveals: Deathsaurus!

<tjpioq$2am$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7029&group=alt.toys.transformers#7029

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:38 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 5:04:10 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> Counter argument: I shouldn’t have to care about the details of the toy
>> business.
>
> No, of course not. But I was responding to the idea that consumers think
> that Hasbro is deliberately fleecing consumers by raising prices just to
> make an extra buck. I can certainly see how people might arrive at that
> conclusion, if the only information they had was that Hasbro is charging
> more than they used to. But, it speaks towards a degree of ignorance
> about what's really going on.

Again, I’m going to stick with “that’s a Hasbro problem”. It’s a hard
problem, to be sure.

>> If they are raising the price, they have to add in something to make it
>> feel like a rise in value.
>
> So, they've done that sort of thing in the past and it always seems to
> cause problems. Like, there was a point when Star Wars figures were
> going from $4.99 to $5.99, or from $5.99 to $6.99. Something like that.
> And they tried to counter the price jump by throwing in something
> relatively inexpensive as a value-added item, like the CommTech figure
> stands or the little Flashback Photo action cards. People pretty much
> universally complained, but they thought that the addition of the
> CommTech chips was the *cause* for the price jump. They were like, "I'd
> rather just pay a dollar less and get the regular action figure!" But,
> they were conflating the cause and effect.
>
> Remember when Combiner Wars toys came with a comic book? It was that
> same sort of thing. I believe that was the period when Deluxe-class toys
> were jumping from $12.99 to $14.99, and so they were throwing comics into
> the package to sort of soften the blow. A comic book does not cost two
> dollars per issue to print, but people were adamant that the comics
> should be removed and the price should be pushed back down to twelve bucks.

But, do those improve the play pattern, or are they just something
different bolted on?

The comics were part 3 of a 8 part story that barely referenced the
character, so it doesn’t really flush out the toy you’re buying. The
Flashback Photos and CommTech things seem similarly toy-adjacent rather
than toy related.

Blast effects were great, on the other hand, as they fit nicely into posing
and playing with the toys. (And those were first a Star Wars thing).

If they are raising price points we should be getting more paint apps, or
accessories, or something that makes the product feel more complete. You
should not be asking “where is Optimus Prime’s gun?” Core class Ratchet
should have all the windows painted. They shouldn’t be clearly cutting
corners at the same time as raising prices.

(Or, hold the prices longer, and focus on the smaller characters for a bit,
shrinking toys, and then jump size back up with the next price increase.
This could be the era of Minibots, and then the price increase comes with
larger figures)