Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way. -- Pink Floyd

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

SubjectAuthor
* "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,Lynn McGuire
+* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,Robert Carnegie
|`- Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
`* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Don
 `* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,Lynn McGuire
  +* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  |`* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Robert Woodward
  | `* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,Robert Carnegie
  |  +- Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  |  `* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Robert Woodward
  |   `- Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by The Horny Goat
   +- Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,Robert Carnegie
   `* Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Don
    `- Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,Jack Bohn

1
"The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<t0nph7$uoi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70404&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70404

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton,
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:12:19 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:12 UTC

"The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated
by Wendayne Ackerman
https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Plague-Oblivion-28-Darlton/dp/B000HT6HXI/

Book number twenty-eight of a series of one hundred and twenty-six space
opera books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets,
number in the thousands. The English books started with two translated
German stories per book and transitioned to one story per book with the
sixth book. The German books were written from 1961 to present time,
having sold two billion copies and even recently been rebooted again. I
read the well printed and well bound book published by Ace in 1973 that
I had to be very careful with due to age. I bought an almost complete
box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on ebay that I am finally
getting to since I lost my original Perry Rhodans in The Great Flood of
1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book #103, plus the Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 36 of the German Pamphlets. There is
a very good explanation of the plot in German on this website of all of
the PR books. There is automatic Google translation available for
English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Die_Seuche_des_Vergessens

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
500. It has been over ten years since then and the New Power has
flourished with millions of people and many spaceships headquartered in
the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania.

Rhodan's mutants have joined up with Pucky and his supplies on the
Springer slave world Goszul. Amongst Pucky's supplies is a new bacteria
that causes a strange disease with red spots and a complete loss of
memory. But the disease does not kill, just temporary loss of memory.
The Springers are very disease phobic since they are constantly running
into new diseases when finding new planets and races. Pucky and the
other mutants start spreading the disease and manage to get the
Springers infected who start fleeing to all corners of the Galaxy.

One has to remember that this book was written in German in 1962 and
translated to English in 1973. Many items that came about in the 1970s
and beyond such as cell phones are not reflected in the book. However,
commercial aircraft commonly traveling at Mach 3 are not available to
the public as talked about in the book. Niels Bohr's saying "Prediction
is very difficult, especially about the future" comes to mind.

Two observations:
1. The publisher should have put two to four of the translated stories
in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked out
well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would never
allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 5 out of 5 stars (1 review)

Lynn

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<1c6095ac-4f49-409d-be7e-39077b315d03n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70408&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70408

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:00:10 -0700 (PDT)
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:00 UTC

I'm not a fan of biological warfare against humans.
We do conduct it against non-sapient life in Earth.
Alien sapients seem to be in a grey area.

Similarly - in comics, the X-Men had a long struggle
against "The Legacy Virus", an engineered plague on
mutants - and at length on all humans, until it was ended.

Then the alien Skrulls invaded Earth and the X-Men
infected the Skrulls with virus and didn't feel bad about it.

Also in comics - characters who have a moral principle
against killing, often don't mention that when it's aliens.
Alien Season is 365 days of the year. Not with everybody,
but with many.

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<j99b23F93s7U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70410&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70410

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: 14 Mar 2022 17:07:15 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:07 UTC

In article <1c6095ac-4f49-409d-be7e-39077b315d03n@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>I'm not a fan of biological warfare against humans.
>We do conduct it against non-sapient life in Earth.
>Alien sapients seem to be in a grey area.
>
>Similarly - in comics, the X-Men had a long struggle
>against "The Legacy Virus", an engineered plague on
>mutants - and at length on all humans, until it was ended.
>
>Then the alien Skrulls invaded Earth and the X-Men
>infected the Skrulls with virus and didn't feel bad about it.
>
>Also in comics - characters who have a moral principle
>against killing, often don't mention that when it's aliens.
>Alien Season is 365 days of the year. Not with everybody,
>but with many.

For many years, robots were fair game. That has changed lately
(well, ok for values of lately that may be quite old by this point).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20220315a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70444&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70444

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:54:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:54 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated
> by Wendayne Ackerman
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Plague-Oblivion-28-Darlton/dp/B000HT6HXI/
>
> Book number twenty-eight of a series of one hundred and twenty-six space
> opera books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets,
> number in the thousands. The English books started with two translated
> German stories per book and transitioned to one story per book with the
> sixth book. The German books were written from 1961 to present time,
> having sold two billion copies and even recently been rebooted again. I
> read the well printed and well bound book published by Ace in 1973 that
> I had to be very careful with due to age. I bought an almost complete
> box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on ebay that I am finally
> getting to since I lost my original Perry Rhodans in The Great Flood of
> 1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book #103, plus the Atlan books.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan
>
> BTW, this is actually book number 36 of the German Pamphlets. There is
> a very good explanation of the plot in German on this website of all of
> the PR books. There is automatic Google translation available for
> English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, French, and Portuguese.
> https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Die_Seuche_des_Vergessens
>
> In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
> astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
> first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
> nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
> interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
> aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
> 500. It has been over ten years since then and the New Power has
> flourished with millions of people and many spaceships headquartered in
> the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania.
>
> Rhodan's mutants have joined up with Pucky and his supplies on the
> Springer slave world Goszul. Amongst Pucky's supplies is a new bacteria
> that causes a strange disease with red spots and a complete loss of
> memory. But the disease does not kill, just temporary loss of memory.
> The Springers are very disease phobic since they are constantly running
> into new diseases when finding new planets and races. Pucky and the
> other mutants start spreading the disease and manage to get the
> Springers infected who start fleeing to all corners of the Galaxy.

Perry's plague pre-empts Etzak's plan to either subjugate Earth, if
possible, or destroy it completely with nuclear fire, in the same manner
as Eiswelt earlier. Perry's counterfeit contagion creates fear in the
Springer fleet overhead as it masses for an attack on Earth. It's every
man for himself after each Springer ship in the massed fleet transits
away in dozens of different directions from plague planet zero.
Perry's ploy precipitates a fifty year galactic quarantine of Goszul
to boot. Time enough for Goszul to flourish as a partner in trade with
the Third Power and meet the Springers on a more equal basis in the
future.
„Die Seuche des Vergessens“ Nr. 36 (The Plague of Forgetting)'s
Moewig cover shows Rhodan's intrepid four man Einsatzkommando
(task force) under Kampfroboter (combat robots) sent airborne by Pucky:

https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Die_Seuche_des_Vergessens

The river setting depicted, combined with its events, piqued my
interest most in this story. To elude the enemy, Pucky initially sinks a
couple dozen boxes, mostly filled with pathogen and associated antidote,
to the river's bottom. Sandbar sentries spot a change in profile, and
summon Kampfroboter, when Pucky and Tako later retrieve the goods.

God only knows what Gray Morrow had in mind when he put, what appears to
be, Thora, Rhodan, and Tako (Sulu's spitting image) under a glass bell
jar for his Ace cover:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?267172

Forry debuts a neologism, /teatempestpot/, in his Ace editorial. He
also shares how the recent LACon audience applauded his use of /German/
Hugo. Then Ackerman speculates on how Speculative Fiction fans may
object to his /sci-fi/ moniker because it leaves no doubt whatsoever as
what it includes.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<t0rgct$n4u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70482&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70482

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 21:00:59 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 02:00 UTC

On 3/15/2022 9:54 AM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated
>> by Wendayne Ackerman
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Plague-Oblivion-28-Darlton/dp/B000HT6HXI/

> God only knows what Gray Morrow had in mind when he put, what appears to
> be, Thora, Rhodan, and Tako (Sulu's spitting image) under a glass bell
> jar for his Ace cover:
>
> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?267172
I have found in 50+ years of reading sf/f that the cover of a MMPB is
usually more about attracting young male readers than accurately
depicting what is inside that book.

Lynn

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<j9d336FlfkU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70488&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70488

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: 16 Mar 2022 03:15:50 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 03:15 UTC

In article <t0rgct$n4u$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 3/15/2022 9:54 AM, Don wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated
>>> by Wendayne Ackerman
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Plague-Oblivion-28-Darlton/dp/B000HT6HXI/
>
>> God only knows what Gray Morrow had in mind when he put, what appears to
>> be, Thora, Rhodan, and Tako (Sulu's spitting image) under a glass bell
>> jar for his Ace cover:
>>
>> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?267172
>I have found in 50+ years of reading sf/f that the cover of a MMPB is
>usually more about attracting young male readers than accurately
>depicting what is inside that book.

And if you can do both, even better!

https://ofearna.us/art/rowena/FAR/WebOfTheSpider.jpg
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<robertaw-8F0592.22123915032022@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70493&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70493

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 22:12:39 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 05:12 UTC

In article <j9d336FlfkU1@mid.individual.net>,
ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> In article <t0rgct$n4u$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> God only knows what Gray Morrow had in mind when he put, what appears to
> >> be, Thora, Rhodan, and Tako (Sulu's spitting image) under a glass bell
> >> jar for his Ace cover:
> >>
> >> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?267172
> >I have found in 50+ years of reading sf/f that the cover of a MMPB is
> >usually more about attracting young male readers than accurately
> >depicting what is inside that book.
> >

> And if you can do both, even better!
>
> https://ofearna.us/art/rowena/FAR/WebOfTheSpider.jpg

It's not accurate, she naked in the book (_Web of the Spider_ by Andrew
J. Offutt & Richard K. Lyon), except for an extremely brief tunic (which
the wings were attached to) which only covered her shoulders, a helmet,
and some thick soled sandals.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<bfefb177-13ee-4558-ae52-bdfbe80e617en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70499&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70499

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 03:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 10:33 UTC

On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 05:12:45 UTC, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <j9d336...@mid.individual.net>,
> t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>
> > In article <t0rgct$n4u$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >I have found in 50+ years of reading sf/f that the cover of a MMPB is
> > >usually more about attracting young male readers than accurately
> > >depicting what is inside that book.
> > >

> > And if you can do both, even better!
> >
> > https://ofearna.us/art/rowena/FAR/WebOfTheSpider.jpg
> It's not accurate, she naked in the book (_Web of the Spider_ by Andrew
> J. Offutt & Richard K. Lyon), except for an extremely brief tunic (which
> the wings were attached to) which only covered her shoulders, a helmet,
> and some thick soled sandals.

* tries to figure out how the tunic covered her sandals *

* maybe she wore them on her shoulders? *

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<j9f53lF5485U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70551&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70551

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 16 Mar 2022 22:02:29 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:02 UTC

In article <eji43hh5ded18id4aq3eg9mohp1s07b08g@4ax.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 03:33:41 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
><rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 05:12:45 UTC, Robert Woodward wrote:

>translated
>>> > >>>

>https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Plague-Oblivion-28-Darlton/dp/B000HT6H

>appears to

>>> It's not accurate, she naked in the book (_Web of the Spider_ by Andrew
>>> J. Offutt & Richard K. Lyon), except for an extremely brief tunic (which
>>> the wings were attached to) which only covered her shoulders, a helmet,
>>> and some thick soled sandals.
>>
>>* tries to figure out how the tunic covered her sandals *
>>
>>* maybe she wore them on her shoulders? *
>
>Perhaps she's rather flexible?

Hey, she's Tiana Highrider of Reme! She's the very model of a modern
pirate warrior: Beautiful, flexible, smart, brave & lucky.

That was a really great series, probably time for a re-read.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<robertaw-AD7D63.22102216032022@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70562&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70562

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:10:22 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 05:10 UTC

In article <bfefb177-13ee-4558-ae52-bdfbe80e617en@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 05:12:45 UTC, Robert Woodward wrote:
> > In article <j9d336...@mid.individual.net>,
> > t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> > > And if you can do both, even better!
> > >
> > > https://ofearna.us/art/rowena/FAR/WebOfTheSpider.jpg
> > It's not accurate, she naked in the book (_Web of the Spider_ by Andrew
> > J. Offutt & Richard K. Lyon), except for an extremely brief tunic (which
> > the wings were attached to) which only covered her shoulders, a helmet,
> > and some thick soled sandals.
>
> * tries to figure out how the tunic covered her sandals *
>
> * maybe she wore them on her shoulders? *

OK, my description was ambiguous. IIRC, she was wearing a helmet which
covered her face and hair (and had a bird motif), a very brief tunic
which covered only a few inches of her upper chest plus the shoulders
(though I think it needed a strap below the breasts to support the wings
properly) which the wings (5 feet total span) were attached to, and
thick soled foot ware. Nothing else.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<j9fv97F9t03U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70563&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70563

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Mar 2022 05:29:12 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 05:29 UTC

In article <robertaw-AD7D63.22102216032022@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <bfefb177-13ee-4558-ae52-bdfbe80e617en@googlegroups.com>,
> Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 16 March 2022 at 05:12:45 UTC, Robert Woodward wrote:

>> > It's not accurate, she naked in the book (_Web of the Spider_ by Andrew
>> > J. Offutt & Richard K. Lyon), except for an extremely brief tunic (which
>> > the wings were attached to) which only covered her shoulders, a helmet,
>> > and some thick soled sandals.
>>
>> * tries to figure out how the tunic covered her sandals *
>>
>> * maybe she wore them on her shoulders? *
>
>OK, my description was ambiguous. IIRC, she was wearing a helmet which
>covered her face and hair (and had a bird motif), a very brief tunic
>which covered only a few inches of her upper chest plus the shoulders
>(though I think it needed a strap below the breasts to support the wings
>properly) which the wings (5 feet total span) were attached to, and
>thick soled foot ware. Nothing else.
>
>--
>"We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
>Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.
>—-----------------------------------------------------
>Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

The hourglass was scarcely reassuring. Did it indicate how
long she had to live or to make herself beautiful for death?
Either way time, like the sand in the glass, was slipping
through her fingers and it had become urgent that she search
for clues and possibilities.
In the pouch sewn to the white dress she found a sea-green
emerald big as a dove's egg, and a note: "Thus Prince Nired
keeps his promise."
While flawed, the jewel was still worth the thousand regals,
and probably in gold, rather than silver. As for the dress
-- it was coarse white homespun and badly made at that!
Why, this flimsy thing would last for just about one brief
wearing!
A chill ran down her spine with the realization that such
was precisely the plan! This dress was to be worn but a
little while before it and its wearer were burned to ashes.
Frugal Prince Nired saw no point in wasting expensive
material and workmanship on such a garment. Come to think,
he must have chosen the emerald because it could easily be
recovered from her charred remains.
By the Cud this is too much! "Prince Nired," she shouted
at empty air and dainty pink curtains, "I might have passed
over anything else but this! For this parsimonious insult
I vow your death! And by my hand!"
The angry words were all too obviously futile, but...what
a happy thought! She detached pouch and emerald and set
both aside. The dress she tossed aside. The stool did not
seem to conceal any interesting secrets. The dressing table,
however...First there was the inscription engraved along
the mirror's round edge:
"Remember the sacred teachings: The Path to Life is never
easy but lies through the centre of Fiery Death."
One more of those religious mottos dreamed up to try to
keep people content in the adversity created for them by
rulers and priests, Tiana mused. Unless it was intended as
some sort of reminder. Perhaps Ishcon's ancestor feared a
panicky girl and caused this disguised reminder to be laid
into the mirror's border? Perhaps. But what meaning it might
hold, hidden, she could not guess. She turned to the cosmetics
laid out on the table. They were unusual only in the inclusion
of a jar of clear, gelatinous creme loaded with bright
silver flakes.
There's enough of this stuff so that I could spread it over
my whole body and sparkle like a crystal chandelier. On
impulse she smeared some on her off hand. The substance was
wet, with a high water content. Cautiously she reached her
hand toward the lamp's flame. After an instant's trepidation,
she thrust her last two fingers into the fire.
Why, it doesn't -- "Ow!" She jerked the hand back and
accompanied its vigorous shaking with vehement curses. The
pain subsided quickly enough to tell her she had done herself
no great harm. Narrow-eyed, she studied the fingers.
So. It did work, if only briefly. The creme protects from
fire -- for an instant or two. That, for a person in her
situation, was good to know.
The table's only drawer opened to reveal a mass of bright
red feathers. A little inspection showed her the head-piece
and wings of a costume. She was to be a kind of bird-woman?
And the feathers felt odd. As though they had been soaked
in salt water and dried? She tasted them. No. Something
else. Leavening?
Thrust into the lamp's flame, the feathers smoked and refused
to burn.
How nice. It's marvellously fireproof -- what there is of
it.
In itself the headpiece was perfect; strong, with snugging
padding like that of a war helmet. Here was coverage and
protection for her entire head! Best of all, the eyeholes
were fitted with bits of crystal of unusually good glass.
The wearer would be able to see even in a raging inferno.
The other portion of the costume was a pair of iridescent
scarlet wings long as a sword. An abbreviated leather tunic
attached them to her back. Beneath a coating of treated
feathers, the tunic was designed to fasten snugly in front.
Thus it provided good protection for her shoulders.
And that was the costume, in its entirety.
Her own clothing was gone. Nired's gift-gown was too obviously
flammable. Well, what a nice show for them, the gaping
swine! I must appear in public with my face and shoulders
hidden, my arms bare, and the rest of me stark naked from
the tops of my breasts to the tips of my toes!
Desperately she returned to the drawer, searching for
anything more to wear. To her relief, she discovered that
something had fallen out to be concealed behind the drawer.
Perfect! She held a pair of shoes, brightly polished black
leather with soles of cork the thickness of a thumb's width.
With no further consideration, she began smearing her nudity
with the silver-flaked creme. She made sure the coat of gel
was even, while she forced herself to work with a deliberate
speed. Too much sand had run through the glass. Yet
thoroughness was important. Any part of her skin she might
miss, the flames would not. At last she slipped into the
feathered costume, adjusted it with care, and examined
herself in the mirror.
Magnificent!
Peering back at her from the mirror was an exotically
beautiful hybrid: an avian woman. Her face was transformed,
sea-green eyes now sparkling amid the delicate mask of dark
red feathers with the odd glaze given them by wetted, dried
sodium bicarbonate. The brighter crimson of her wings seemed
to flap about her like sunset clouds held captive.
As for her body...she looked much, turning this way and
that, putting back her shoulders and smiling in high
satisfaction, Ah, Tiana, you are perfect!
Light scintillated from every line and curve of her supple
limbs. Had ever a woman been so marvellously constructed;
so well displayed that superior shape? Turning sidewise to
the mirror, she thrust out her chest and joggled, to watch
the silver flecks dance and flash on her breasts.

Click here to read the complete article

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<47ab3hl7ptsunbb482gv1on28h0ms8cvon@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70695&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70695

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 02:58:31 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:58 UTC

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 21:00:59 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have found in 50+ years of reading sf/f that the cover of a MMPB is
>usually more about attracting young male readers than accurately
>depicting what is inside that book.

Thus the wonderful first 20 pages of Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of the
Rings" which lampoons all that....

Anybody besides me remember the 2-3 page scene about the Boggie
(BotR's hobbits) being seduced by the elf maiden which had zero to do
with the rest of the book except for being referenced by the forward?

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<8c774271-0891-4de3-a181-a58cb115e57en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70702&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70702

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 08:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:16 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 09:58:36 UTC, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 21:00:59 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have found in 50+ years of reading sf/f that the cover of a MMPB is
> >usually more about attracting young male readers than accurately
> >depicting what is inside that book.
> >
> Thus the wonderful first 20 pages of Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of the
> Rings" which lampoons all that....
>
> Anybody besides me remember the 2-3 page scene about the Boggie
> (BotR's hobbits) being seduced by the elf maiden which had zero to do
> with the rest of the book except for being referenced by the forward?

My favourite scene - er - but I don't remember
the foreword or any other page acknowledging
its presence.

It's where other books have a few paragraphs of
a thrilling scene that is in the story later. But this
is a, um, thrilling scene that isn't.

There is sex in the story but it probably wouldn't
appeal to most potential readers.

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20220319a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70703&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70703

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:22:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:22 UTC

The Horny Goat wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>>I have found in 50+ years of reading sf/f that the cover of a MMPB is
>>usually more about attracting young male readers than accurately
>>depicting what is inside that book.
>>
> Thus the wonderful first 20 pages of Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of the
> Rings" which lampoons all that....

As Harvard existentially lampoons itself with its insane jealousy of
Cornell's superior school song:

https://cornellclassof1991.com/almamater.mp3

Crimson's "parody" opens with the line "Far above Cayuga's waiters."
Parodies, satire, sarcasm and such tell a story about the small people
who create them.

"Sarcasm's the last refuge of an empty mind."

It's also passive aggressive - angry, in other words. The Cornell class
of 1991 generously makes its "Alma Mater" sheet music publicly available
at no cost:

https://cornellclassof1991.com/almamater.pdf

It stirs something similar to schadenfreude within my bosom to play the
song on my electric piano with Harvard's hateful passive aggressive
anger in mind. The Crimson butt of my own little joke makes me mirthful.
YMMV.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: "The Plague of Oblivion (Perry Rhodan #28)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<bfedb9ed-762e-42b2-b4c0-5a28889d4b25n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=70708&group=rec.arts.sf.written#70708

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:20 UTC

Don wrote:

> As Harvard existentially lampoons itself with its insane jealousy of
> Cornell's superior school song:
>
> https://cornellclassof1991.com/almamater.mp3
>
> Crimson's "parody" opens with the line "Far above Cayuga's waiters."
> Parodies, satire, sarcasm and such tell a story about the small people
> who create them.
>
> "Sarcasm's the last refuge of an empty mind."
>
> It's also passive aggressive - angry, in other words. The Cornell class
> of 1991 generously makes its "Alma Mater" sheet music publicly available
> at no cost:
>
> https://cornellclassof1991.com/almamater.pdf
>
> It stirs something similar to schadenfreude within my bosom to play the
> song on my electric piano with Harvard's hateful passive aggressive
> anger in mind. The Crimson butt of my own little joke makes me mirthful.
> YMMV.

O they have walls of ivy down at Harvard,
In Princeton, and in old Purdue.
(In old Purduuuue)

They think they're so smart at Harvard,
They ain't so much, we got ivy, too.
(Got ivy tooooooo.)

Hail to our hallowed halls,
We got poison ivy walls!
Pooh on Harvard, Yale, and such,
We got ivy they can't touch!

Dr, Seuss. from the movie "The 5,000 Fingers of Doctor T"

--
-Jack